Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy Buyup - What happens to seat selection cost?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm booked on AA ATH-PHL-PWM in June and just saw that it offered me a buyup to PE for $350. I've already spent a couple hundred bucks picking seats (no status here). If I buy up to PE can I get a refund of the seat selection cost?

Is the $350 worth it for PE? I'm not familiar with AA's PE product but a bigger seat on an 11 hour flight is always a nice thing.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: AA PPro
If you buy an upgrade to a higher cost of service you will get a refund for existing paid seat selection fees such as Main Cabin Extra. You MAY have to resort to asking to get them back if it doesn't happen automatically but you are eligible to get that money refunded.

Yes I would pay $350 for an 11 hour flight for PE. It is basically a domestic F seat and similar meal quality to domestic F as well, just without glassware or really any better service. The pillow and blanket are nice too, and the bigger screen.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:36 pm

I flew PE in a 787 from ORD-FCO this past summer and thought it was well worth the cost difference. $350 is a good price in my opinion.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
I haven't flown in PE on AA, but I came home from Spain last Fall in J and took a couple walks down the aisle to the back of the plane. It was my first time to see a PE cabin, and I'd say it would definitely be worth $350 to upgrade on a 11 hour flight. IIRC, it does look life a domestic F seat, with the added bonus of having an extending legrest, so more like a recliner.

If I was in MCE on a TATL, I'd jump on that upgrade in a heartbeat. And yes, as noted upthread you should get a refund of your original seat purchase.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
... IIRC, it does look life a domestic F seat, with the added bonus of having an extending legrest, so more like a recliner.
Just a note that only the bulkhead row which is the first row of PE has the extending legrest. The rest have the little useless peg footrest, I wish they all had the legrest. I do recommend getting the bulkhead row if you can, only downsides are you can't have your bag in front of you and you can't use the IFE on the ground/takeoff/landing. Overall though the extra space, ability to get up and around your companions to get to the lav, and the legrest are big pro's. The regular PE is still definitely worth doing though, I just think those little plastic footrests are pointless.
JDiver and holmedown like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the refund *should* be automatic, but it might not happen until after the flight is taken. You could try manually submitting it now via prefunds.aa.com if you have the ticket number associated with the original seat assignment fees. Sounds like a good trip!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, all. It turns out the upgrade offer was only available for the BOS-LHR leg (my outbound). The only thing it offered me for ATH-PHL was $3500 to upgrade to J. In the end, I did pay the $350 (well, $700 for two of us...I'm not telling Mr. Gfunk until he finds out on his own, as he will give me That Look) because when we flew PE on Air Canada a few years ago it was well worth it for the ability to sleep more than 45 minutes.

Really wish we had it on the longer flight but it's an A333, which doesn't have a PE cabin as it turns out. It also doesn't seem to have MCE, which seems odd. But I haven't flown AA in a very long time, so I'm clearly not up to date on things. I had no idea they offered real PE, for example!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I know that Look too!

AA was actually first of the big 3 to have PE widely installed. DL and UA are still actually quite far behind. I think AA has it on all its widebodies now, except the small handful of 333s they're supposed to be getting rid of (it is on the 332s, however). And maybe some 763s that are still left? (Those are going soon too if not already.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.