Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2020, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
At the beginning of the Covid “era” flight loads appeared quite light. As AA refined flights, routes and aircraft, many fewer seats has meant in some instances full aircraft and oversold flights. In others higher capacity widebody aircraft may offer less crowded cabins. International flights are often operating way below capacity at this time, as many nations have bans in place for American and other specified country’s visitors other than those permitted to travel for essential services. Check aa.com sherpa for further information about international destinations’ current Covid-related restrictions.

AA does not block middle seats in coach.
Print Wikipost

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by sqw
I cancelled flights to DCA, TYS, ZRH, and OMA mid week due to cancelled meetings and travel policy changes so I am part of that trend.
Yup. At this point I have canceled everything except two trips: DCA-SDF-DCA in mid-April, and JFK-LAX in late April (which I'm keeping primarily because it was a rare <$700 J fare (for a Wednesday early evening) that upgraded to F with a BXP1).

Strange only having 2 "upcoming trips" on the app... usually it's 10 or more.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:21 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Yesterday’s Miami to Philly on the 763 - apologies I can’t remember the flight number, but the 1.40pm departure - was packed to the rafters.
When I checked in online 24 hours before, all the F seats were taken. The wait list was very long, and not everyone was clearing when I was boarding.
The boarding gate was rammed when I showed up - I left a little time to arrive at the gate so I didn’t co-mingle too closely with other people. But it happened. It was a zoo.

The worst bit - my other half arrived at his seat 3J, and an old dear was sat in his seat. Sitting in a mask, gloves, and spoke no English. He politely said - excuse me madam, you are in my seat. I’m in 3J. Can I see your BP to direct you to your correct seat. She didn’t speak English. The crew came to assist. Turned out she had just flown in from Milan Italy.
My other half called a crew member immediately. He was not happy she was just arrived from Milan, she sat in the wrong seat, this was going to be his seat, it now felt contaminated, he and this had to be sorted asap.
She was moved to her correct seat - 2J - with assistance from a “friend” from coach who suddenly appeared to translate.

Some heated discussions followed - and it was decided the old dear could remain on the flight. My other half said - I want my seat disinfected. Or offload me with my luggage. Fair enough. So it happened and they came and cleaned the seat.
It was a farce. Why AA allowed this old dear from Milan to get anywhere near this flight is anyone’s guess. And then just sit in any seat, and potentially infect it.
And I don’t blame my other half to insist his seat was cleaned before departure.

Lots of questionable policies going on right now.
And if you give me grief for us asking for these things to happen, or if i complained too much, before we departed - 1. It didn’t delay departure. 2. Would you be ok with someone from a Covid-19 hot spot sitting in your seat and refusing to move, 3. How does someone with that travel history get on a flight in the first place?

Crazy times. Safe (healthy) flying everyone x
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
Yesterday’s Miami to Philly on the 763 - apologies I can’t remember the flight number, but the 1.40pm departure - was packed to the rafters.
When I checked in online 24 hours before, all the F seats were taken. The wait list was very long, and not everyone was clearing when I was boarding.
The boarding gate was rammed when I showed up - I left a little time to arrive at the gate so I didn’t co-mingle too closely with other people. But it happened. It was a zoo.

The worst bit - my other half arrived at his seat 3J, and an old dear was sat in his seat. Sitting in a mask, gloves, and spoke no English. He politely said - excuse me madam, you are in my seat. I’m in 3J. Can I see your BP to direct you to your correct seat. She didn’t speak English. The crew came to assist. Turned out she had just flown in from Milan Italy.
My other half called a crew member immediately. He was not happy she was just arrived from Milan, she sat in the wrong seat, this was going to be his seat, it now felt contaminated, he and this had to be sorted asap.
She was moved to her correct seat - 2J - with assistance from a “friend” from coach who suddenly appeared to translate.

Some heated discussions followed - and it was decided the old dear could remain on the flight. My other half said - I want my seat disinfected. Or offload me with my luggage. Fair enough. So it happened and they came and cleaned the seat.
It was a farce. Why AA allowed this old dear from Milan to get anywhere near this flight is anyone’s guess. And then just sit in any seat, and potentially infect it.
And I don’t blame my other half to insist his seat was cleaned before departure.

Lots of questionable policies going on right now.
And if you give me grief for us asking for these things to happen, or if i complained too much, before we departed - 1. It didn’t delay departure. 2. Would you be ok with someone from a Covid-19 hot spot sitting in your seat and refusing to move, 3. How does someone with that travel history get on a flight in the first place?

Crazy times. Safe (healthy) flying everyone x
Why didn't your partner sit in row 2 instead of being a pain. He made everyone's trip lousy it sounds like
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Oof.

Project Oasis bird DCA-JFK this morning.

I know Saturday loads tend to be light but there were 21 people on this flight.

About 5 in First (I was on an award booking so not eligible) and 16 dispersed throughout the rest of the cabin.

These are bleak times.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Why didn't your partner sit in row 2 instead of being a pain. He made everyone's trip lousy it sounds like
Yeah exactly.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Landed at LHR this morning and I passed through the check-in area. I've never seen lines like this for AA's check-in — made me think of the last days of Saigon. So at least they're busy in one direction, right now.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:07 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Yeah exactly.
+1. I’d have left the poor old duck there and gone and sat elsewhere. If she didn’t speak English, how did he know that she came from Milan? What a lot of fuss.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
My ORD-DCA flight was pretty empty last night - it also arrived at 10 pm on a Friday, so that might have been a reason too.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
LAX-AUS on a 319. Only 8 seats in FC, 1 empty (no list). Got upgrade, as Plat, 2 days ago. I would say that coach appears to be 25% full. (This is a Saturday morning, but . . .)
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:47 am

With all of these packed flights it doesn't sound like "social distancing" is going to do the trick.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:32 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by JetAway
With all of these packed flights it doesn't sound like "social distancing" is going to do the trick.

How bad does it have to get before they ground all domestic US air travel?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Transcon flight loads right now are WIDE OPEN.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:15 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by 355F1
How bad does it have to get before they ground all domestic US air travel?
Originally Posted by FluxTZ
Transcon flight loads right now are WIDE OPEN.
There's no way airlines will continue to fly empty planes.

I am flying home PDX-PHX tomorrow so I hope I make it!
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:46 pm
Suspended

My flights recently have been 1/2 full.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:59 pm

Looks like there will be a lot of road trips over the next couple of months (unless there are limits on that too).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.