Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 12, 20, 5:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
At the beginning of the Covid ďeraĒ flight loads appeared quite light. As AA refined flights, routes and aircraft, many fewer seats has meant in some instances full aircraft and oversold flights. In others higher capacity widebody aircraft may offer less crowded cabins. International flights are often operating way below capacity at this time, as many nations have bans in place for American and other specified countryís visitors other than those permitted to travel for essential services. Check aa.com sherpa for further information about international destinationsí current Covid-related restrictions.

AA does not block middle seats in coach.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 13, 20, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull View Post
I have never heard fortress hub in the context of upgrades, just normally in the context of one airline dominating the majority of flights.

Off the top of my head I can think of:
AA in CLT, PHL, and DFW
UA in EWR, DEN, and SFO
DL in ATL, DTW, MSP, and SLC
Traditionally a fortress hub had no low fare competition. Using that definition, no such thing exists any more.

Now they're just plain old hubs. The major airlines brought this on themselves by taking advantage of their captive base of customers, just asking for LCC competition. WN and LCC airlines won't bother with undercutting a hub airline by $50 but they will for hundreds of dollars.
Old Oct 13, 20, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
Traditionally a fortress hub had no low fare competition. Using that definition, no such thing exists any more.

Now they're just plain old hubs. The major airlines brought this on themselves by taking advantage of their captive base of customers, just asking for LCC competition. WN and LCC airlines won't bother with undercutting a hub airline by $50 but they will for hundreds of dollars.
I don't believe it just has to include competition by LCCs. JetBlue is more of a hybrid model (they have a premium class and remain only so-called LCC in the US with personal TVs at each seat) and they are now eating away United's yields on premium transcon flights out of EWR. However, I do think you are right stating that a fortress hub has become a rather obsolete term these days.
Old Oct 13, 20, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Splat, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Iíve flown, AA, B6, DL, FL, and WN to/through ATL. Yes, itís a huge hub for DL, but with a single stop you can fly any other airline you want.

Of course, if you have to fly nonstop, youíre at the mercy of DL.
If you're stuck with DL and live in Atlanta, and aren't one of their big-spender (with other people's money mostly) Diamonds who fly long-haul in DL One, forget ever getting domestic upgrades at the lower Medallion levels. I'm not even sure I could make their lowest level as my trips are typically short-haul within lower 48.

On AA I make Plat on segments, though I might not make it this year on spend.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 20, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by born sleepy View Post
On AA I make Plat on segments, though I might not make it this year on spend.
AA is desperate for cash, maybe they will make you an offer to keep Platinum later in the year.
Old Oct 13, 20, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I just flew LAX-MIA-LAX both morning flights. Y was ~95% full, F 100% both legs.
4 people on the upgrade list outbound, a couple cleared (same last name).
6 people on the upgrade list inbound, 1 cleared.

Last edited by aztimm; Oct 14, 20 at 2:25 pm Reason: removed off-topic material
Old Oct 15, 20, 3:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
I just flew PHX-LAS-PHX, both afternoon flights. 100% packed in both directions. I originally had a super cheap fare but paid to upgrade both ways when I got the "these flights are going to be pretty full" message on my reservations. On 319 aircraft, there would be almost no chance to upgrade. I did it, not because it was "worth" it economically, but to "more" socially distance. Theater, I know, but I would rather be next to fewer people given the choice.

No social distancing at gates. As a matter of fact, both flights were delayed and the agents encouraged people to line up and board. No service in either cabin. One F pax asked for a cup of water on one of the flights and I felt like he was shamed by the flight attendant for asking for something.

PHX admirals club closes at 5 PM, and only 1 of the 3 clubs is open.Great AAngels, but if I was AA, I would be embarrassed at the food offerings. My membership expires in January or February after the 6 month extension. No way that I would renew if food and hours don't improve. I know the airlines are still losing boatloads of money, but they shouldn't skimp when it comes to their better passengers...or so I believe.

I'm going back in 2 weeks. I'll drive.
Old Oct 15, 20, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy View Post

No social distancing at gates. As a matter of fact, both flights were delayed and the agents encouraged people to line up and board. No service in either cabin. One F pax asked for a cup of water on one of the flights and I felt like he was shamed by the flight attendant for asking for something.

I hear you but in my experience, no airline is really enforcing social distancing at the gate except for WN which seems to be pretty good at this and even altered the number of pax who board at a time.
Old Oct 15, 20, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Splat, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
I hear you but in my experience, no airline is really enforcing social distancing at the gate except for WN which seems to be pretty good at this and even altered the number of pax who board at a time.
This is why I try to be the last one on the plane no matter where I'm sitting once I think the jetway scrum has cleared out.
Old Oct 15, 20, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by born sleepy View Post
This is why I try to be the last one on the plane no matter where I'm sitting once I think the jetway scrum has cleared out.
I generally agree with the exception of 2L boarding. If Iím in F and itís a 757/wide body, Iíll get on first. Otherwise, if itís one of the crap domestic planes, zero benefit to boarding early. Hang in the lounge and get on at T-16, itís not like a PDB is waiting for you or anything.
jcatman and ChurnieEls like this.
Old Oct 16, 20, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
On AA238 LAX to JFK right now. Y is about 80% full, J is 75% full (I've lucked out with a free seat next to me), F is 100% full but was almost empty up until pretty soon before departure so assume mainly non-revs in there.
Old Oct 16, 20, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A Silver, Free Agent
6th flight in 7 days on AA in and out of AUS. At least 80% full on every flight. Since I use sterile technique in my day job and everything is ďsanitizedĒ where I work, the plane I am currently on arrived at gate at 1203 and boarded at 1230 sharp. That was 27 minutes to deplane, load the cleaners, and let them clean. 3 cleaners came off at 1227, and one was carrying a vacuum. That meant 2 people wiped down a hundred and something surfaces in 17 minutes. Fair warning, donít believe it when they say the plane was sanitized. Thatís my data point. Enjoy. Forgot, last week every flight had a sanitizing wipe for every pax. Today 2 for 2 no sanitizing wipe. Oh yes no house tequila in the AC.
saltytheseagull likes this.
Old Oct 16, 20, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by boerne View Post
6th flight in 7 days on AA in and out of AUS. At least 80% full on every flight. Since I use sterile technique in my day job and everything is ďsanitizedĒ where I work, the plane I am currently on arrived at gate at 1203 and boarded at 1230 sharp. That was 27 minutes to deplane, load the cleaners, and let them clean. 3 cleaners came off at 1227, and one was carrying a vacuum. That meant 2 people wiped down a hundred and something surfaces in 17 minutes. Fair warning, donít believe it when they say the plane was sanitized. Thatís my data point. Enjoy. Forgot, last week every flight had a sanitizing wipe for every pax. Today 2 for 2 no sanitizing wipe. Oh yes no house tequila in the AC.
From what I see planes are being cleaned between flights no normal than pre COVID. The regionals are doing 30 minute turns, no way they are getting anything beyond a quick clean of the lav and restock lav supplies.
Old Oct 16, 20, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Dirt BA Gold SPG GLD HH GLD
Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy View Post
I just flew PHX-LAS-PHX, both afternoon flights. 100% packed in both directions.

PHX admirals club closes at 5 PM, and only 1 of the 3 clubs is open.Great AAngels, but if I was AA, I would be embarrassed at the food offerings. My membership expires in January or February after the 6 month extension. No way that I would renew if food and hours don't improve. I know the airlines are still losing boatloads of money, but they shouldn't skimp when it comes to their better passengers...or so I believe.

This is a great synopsis of the current state of affairs and agree that they are alienating needed customers now. I will not be getting on a plane again with the current experience unless I am going somewhere for a week or longer. It is not a pleasant experience on any level. I feel like I am on the bus.
Old Oct 17, 20, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A Silver, Free Agent
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George View Post
From what I see planes are being cleaned between flights no normal than pre COVID. The regionals are doing 30 minute turns, no way they are getting anything beyond a quick clean of the lav and restock lav supplies.
yes i dont see how they are doing enhanced cleaning unless they ever cleaned pre pandemic. Or they did it in 5 minutes and now its 7
Old Oct 17, 20, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I hate to break it to people the flying experience is only going to get worst. My suggestion would be buy F, check bags so that you can board last, and if available get a lounge membership or when it becomes available again a one day pass.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: