Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 12, 20, 5:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
At the beginning of the Covid “era” flight loads appeared quite light. As AA refined flights, routes and aircraft, many fewer seats has meant in some instances full aircraft and oversold flights. In others higher capacity widebody aircraft may offer less crowded cabins. International flights are often operating way below capacity at this time, as many nations have bans in place for American and other specified country’s visitors other than those permitted to travel for essential services. Check aa.com sherpa for further information about international destinations’ current Covid-related restrictions.

AA does not block middle seats in coach.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 28, 20, 7:04 am

Programs: UA, AA Gold, DL, WN, Hertz 5Star, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver
9/28 - DFW to CLE - 100% full. There were a few empty seats on the chart when I checked in, but there were 13 people on the standby list. Two standby's didn't make it.
Old Sep 28, 20, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
9/25 AA 508 RDU-CLT A-320: 95-100% full
9/25 AA 1800 CLT-BWI 737-800: 100% full.
9/26 AA 5293 ORF-CLT CRJ-900: 95-100% full
9/26 AA 1645 CLT-RDU 737-900: 75-80% full. Several uniformed FAs in First Class and two empty F seats
Old Oct 5, 20, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
10/04 AA 2440 ORD–LAX A-321: 100% full
Old Oct 5, 20, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
10/05 MIA DFW 77W 95% full in F/J (both F and J sold as First on this flight)
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 20, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MB LTTE/A HH DIA, DL
10.6 AA 2353 DFW/TPA - 100% Full.
Old Oct 7, 20, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txpenny View Post
10.6 AA 2353 DFW/TPA - 100% Full.
Not surprised because most flights ex DFW are super full since this is a fortress hub for AA
Old Oct 8, 20, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Now on AA 444 MCI PHX.100% full.
Old Oct 8, 20, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
AA 16

JFK-LHR
very light loads, boarded at the end and saw at most 30 customers.
i think “First class” is full!
Old Oct 8, 20, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zip10001 View Post
JFK-LHR
very light loads, boarded at the end and saw at most 30 customers.
i think “First class” is full!
Probably with nonrevs
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Seems as though we're getting closer to being back to upgrade territory pre COVID. I checked at the T-100 window for my MIA/ORD flight on Tuesday afternoon. One F seat open. Luckily I changed to MIA/CLT/ORD (with the 772 to CLT) which showed F wide open. $35 refare. Upgrades cleared 10 minutes after I rebooked. Essentially $35 to ensure an upgrade albeit with a connection now, but into ORD earlier. Coming back Thursday afternoon not looking good but no alternative flights.
thunderdeacon and Uzzar like this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just did MIA DFW again. 5 seats were open at check in with only 1 person on the upgrade list and like 25 standbys so by the time we left F was 100% full
Old Oct 12, 20, 9:27 am

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Not surprised because most flights ex DFW are super full since this is a fortress hub for AA
What constitutes a fortress hub?

Isn't there an airport easily visible on short final to DFW that's packed with blue, red and yellow 737s heading nonstop to a bunch of AA DFW destinations every day? And at no more than a 67% load factor to boot?
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
What constitutes a fortress hub?

Isn't there an airport easily visible on short final to DFW that's packed with blue, red and yellow 737s heading nonstop to a bunch of AA DFW destinations every day? And at no more than a 67% load factor to boot?
Yes, but Love Field is gate-constrained. The removal of the Wright Amendment and further relaxations (down to nothing now other than international service and number of gates) means that AA has to compete with WN on a lot more destinations than just TX/LA/AR/OK/NM which is why the days of $1,000 coach fares for a non-Saturday night stay, no matter how far booked in advance, are long long.

But there's no question that DFW is a fortress hub in terms of gates. AA has all of B, all of A, all of C, a bunch of gates in D, and about half the gates in E. The satellite terminal in E (formerly Terminal 4E) that Delta built was closed when Delta de-hubbed DFW, but is now all AA.
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:24 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
Yes, but Love Field is gate-constrained. The removal of the Wright Amendment and further relaxations (down to nothing now other than international service and number of gates) means that AA has to compete with WN on a lot more destinations than just TX/LA/AR/OK/NM...[emphasis mine]
Making QDF less of an AA fortress than it used to be.

Over the past couple of years, WN has brought down DAL capacity in former Wright markets and shifted it to those "a lot more destinations" which you correctly point out. Heck, WN's Wright reductions meant that pre-COVID I actually found AA to have (gasp) more convenient schedules to Wrighty places like MAF and OKC than WN out of DAL.
Old Oct 12, 20, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
Making QDF less of an AA fortress than it used to be.

Over the past couple of years, WN has brought down DAL capacity in former Wright markets and shifted it to those "a lot more destinations" which you correctly point out. Heck, WN's Wright reductions meant that pre-COVID I actually found AA to have (gasp) more convenient schedules to Wrighty places like MAF and OKC than WN out of DAL.
We may have different definitions of what a fortress hub is, but for years now, it has been pretty well documented on this forum that upgrades are much harder on most flights ex DFW; I have colleagues who are only EXPs and prior to Covid they often didn't clear upgrade lists from DFW

Search this Thread
Search Engine: