Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2020, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
At the beginning of the Covid “era” flight loads appeared quite light. As AA refined flights, routes and aircraft, many fewer seats has meant in some instances full aircraft and oversold flights. In others higher capacity widebody aircraft may offer less crowded cabins. International flights are often operating way below capacity at this time, as many nations have bans in place for American and other specified country’s visitors other than those permitted to travel for essential services. Check aa.com sherpa for further information about international destinations’ current Covid-related restrictions.

AA does not block middle seats in coach.
Print Wikipost

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Every one of my flights so far this week 100 percent full:
SLC DFW
DFW GSP
GSP CLT
CLT PHL
PHL CLT
CLT SDF

Of bigger note- my flights over the past 30 days, ORD light QTY of PAX in terminal, DFW light QTY of PAX in terminal, PHL a ghostown in terminal, CLT jammed with PAX everywhere. And the line for food at every CLT food stand was longer , much longer than pre COVID. If you are changing planes in CLT, might be a good idea to bring a sack lunch instead of waiting in extensive food lines at CLT. And also, CLT is not cleaning tables regularly where people eat, they were all filthy.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
AA is flying 100% full flights.

DL is still flying with blocked seats.

I would LOVE to see data of these airline's COVID cases from passengers flying and how they compare.
Well, I really hope it's essentially zero for both carriers. If the mitigation of mandatory masks at all times, plus HEPA air recirculation, is not effective at a prevention rate of 99.95%+, then air travel is going to be hobbled, at least until the US get to 60% vaccination/ herd immunity.
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Well, I really hope it's essentially zero for both carriers. If the mitigation of mandatory masks at all times, plus HEPA air recirculation, is not effective at a prevention rate of 99.95%+, then air travel is going to be hobbled, at least until the US get to 60% vaccination/ herd immunity.
Fair question. We aren’t hearing of any new cases on flights. Is it that they aren’t tracing it to flights, or are there literally no cases? Not hearing about FAs getting sick either. This is great news, don’t get me wrong. Am I too cynical?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by la2clt
We aren’t hearing of any new cases on flights
THIS.

Nothing. It would have been all over every news. In fact I haven't heard about any airline having covid. It has to be the masks.

Time to bring back service to pre-covid levels. Sorry no one is getting sick Parker--open up your (almost empty) wallet and not use cheapness as an excuse for safety.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globe, AA EXP, Marriott Gold
Oversold flight CLT to LGA Wednesday night.

On a recent trip, I flew Delta domestic F there and AA domestic F back. Night and day with regards to the different load factors. Delta is blocking all middle seats in coach and adjacent seat in F. Whether or not this is actually safer or just precieved safety remains to be seen. Regardless, my wife now would rather layover on Delta (and pay more $$$) instead of flying direct on AA (albeit both F).
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Every one of my flights so far this week 100 percent full:
SLC DFW
DFW GSP
GSP CLT
CLT PHL
PHL CLT
CLT SDF

Of bigger note- my flights over the past 30 days, ORD light QTY of PAX in terminal, DFW light QTY of PAX in terminal, PHL a ghostown in terminal, CLT jammed with PAX everywhere. And the line for food at every CLT food stand was longer , much longer than pre COVID. If you are changing planes in CLT, might be a good idea to bring a sack lunch instead of waiting in extensive food lines at CLT. And also, CLT is not cleaning tables regularly where people eat, they were all filthy.
For real, though. CLT seems to be running out of room, and fast. Based on my experience there last week you wouldn’t have known there was a pandemic. Concourses packed with people, long food lines, nowhere to sit, etc.

The only exception is the new A concourse where all the non-AA flights operate out of. That is a true oasis compared to the rest of the airport.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by cedric
AA is concerned about the most efficient way to crew flights throughout the whole system, not on specific legs. The crew that operated that flight may already have operated several legs that day. Perhaps they weren't ORD-based. Flight scheduling isn't generally dictated by crew scheduling. It's dictated by demand, network resource use, timing of flight banks, etc.
They were Chicago based. They announced it.

They could not have possibly flown for eight hours in a day before taking a flight that leaves at 1:30 PM. Why is it that Allegiant manages to fly from a hub to an outstation and back with the same crew (never an overnight layover) but AA can't?

Even if they started their day at 6 AM and flew constantly and the 1:30 PM flight puts them at the 8 hour limit in one direction, then why doesn't AA find someone else to fly there and back on the same flight? It just makes no sense to have crew overnight when it is completely unnecessary.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Currently on TPA-DFW AA1351 100% full.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by txpenny
Currently on TPA-DFW AA1351 100% full.
Many DFW flights seem to be remaining quite busy as is DFW itself.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
387 to GDL. 100% full.

Airport was packed. Amazing.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:36 am

Sep 24
LHR - ORD AA 47 (788)
around 60 pax total, 10 in J, 5 in PE and the rest in Y
Old Sep 25, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by la2clt
Fair question. We aren’t hearing of any new cases on flights. Is it that they aren’t tracing it to flights, or are there literally no cases? Not hearing about FAs getting sick either. This is great news, don’t get me wrong. Am I too cynical?
You may find this article interesting. It supports the theory that air travel is safe when masks are worn properly.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...20the%20flight.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
They were Chicago based. They announced it.

They could not have possibly flown for eight hours in a day before taking a flight that leaves at 1:30 PM. Why is it that Allegiant manages to fly from a hub to an outstation and back with the same crew (never an overnight layover) but AA can't?

Even if they started their day at 6 AM and flew constantly and the 1:30 PM flight puts them at the 8 hour limit in one direction, then why doesn't AA find someone else to fly there and back on the same flight? It just makes no sense to have crew overnight when it is completely unnecessary.
Unclear whether you are talking about pilots, FAs, or both but can you really not see a scenario where taking 3-4 seats out of inventory AND having to count hours spent deadheading crew to SUX as duty time winds up being a lot more expensive than just paying for hotel rooms in SUX???

Airline crew scheduling is as complicated as yield management when you think of all of the factors that go into developing an optimal crew schedule for the month.

AA's network is far more complex than Allegiant's. Allegiant won't even sell connecting itineraries, right?
Old Sep 26, 2020, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Herb687
Unclear whether you are talking about pilots, FAs, or both but can you really not see a scenario where taking 3-4 seats out of inventory AND having to count hours spent deadheading crew to SUX as duty time winds up being a lot more expensive than just paying for hotel rooms in SUX???

Airline crew scheduling is as complicated as yield management when you think of all of the factors that go into developing an optimal crew schedule for the month.

AA's network is far more complex than Allegiant's. Allegiant won't even sell connecting itineraries, right?
There is no need to deadhead crew from ORD to SUX. It's not that far!

My point is that if AA is going to operate one flight a day that flies to SUX and then turns around to go right back, then have the crew do the same thing. If AA, for whatever reason, is going to overnight crew there (two pilots and the FA), then change the schedule and have the plane fly there in the evening and spend the night and fly back in the morning. It makes connections far easier.

Early in the morning at DFW, you can see the traditional hub-and-spoke operation in action, in that almost every single jetway is empty. Arriving on an early morning flight, it looks like AA has abandoned DFW. But all those planes (as well as the crew) are spending the night somewhere else and will be there in a couple of hours. It costs more to run an operation that way, but it makes connections easier.

Allegiant doesn't offer connecting flights because a connecting itinerary is so rare that it's not worth the time to try to build a schedule for them. Most cities have one flight a day, not even 7 days a week, making the chances of being able to fly from point A to point B via a hub quite low without an insanely long layover. Apparently they're willing to live with that in exchange for a lower cost of operation, in that at night at an Allegiant hub such as LAS, every jetway they have is occupied by an airplane, and all of their crew are at home.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
LAX to ORD on Wednesday was about 85% full in Y. F was full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.