Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 12, 20, 5:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
At the beginning of the Covid ďeraĒ flight loads appeared quite light. As AA refined flights, routes and aircraft, many fewer seats has meant in some instances full aircraft and oversold flights. In others higher capacity widebody aircraft may offer less crowded cabins. International flights are often operating way below capacity at this time, as many nations have bans in place for American and other specified countryís visitors other than those permitted to travel for essential services. Check aa.com sherpa for further information about international destinationsí current Covid-related restrictions.

AA does not block middle seats in coach.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 18, 20, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Dirt BA Gold SPG GLD HH GLD
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
How's that?
You said that DL is being undercut by all the carriers you mentioned. If they were not selling at the current rates, DL would lower fares. DL has made the decision to sell at the current rate or fly empty. AA in particular has been in the news within the last month or two for aggressive (cheap) pricing compared to other carriers. DL has a recent history of extracting a revenue premium.

I see this going into the intricacies of revenue management. As other prior posts have pointed out, we do not know the whole revenue mix of the plane so we cannot say if the flight is profitable or not. At a very high level, the flights would not be flown if they were not making money (with some minor exceptions now due to the first airline bailout), but this will especially come true October 1.
Old Sep 18, 20, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull View Post
You said that DL is being undercut by all the carriers you mentioned. If they were not selling at the current rates, DL would lower fares.
That's the thing though, they're only selling half the plane. In a 20 seat F cabin, AA can and will sell all 20 seats, DL's inventory is halved before they even start selling tickets. On a comparable flight, DL does not command a 100% revenue premium over AA, therefore I would be pretty shocked if AA were less profitable than DL in F, or in Y for that matter.
Old Sep 18, 20, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
That's the thing though, they're only selling half the plane. In a 20 seat F cabin, AA can and will sell all 20 seats, DL's inventory is halved before they even start selling tickets. On a comparable flight, DL does not command a 100% revenue premium over AA, therefore I would be pretty shocked if AA were less profitable than DL in F, or in Y for that matter.
Also, AA is flying more widebodies within domestic flights on which AA is selling the PE cabin to capacity at higher ancillary fees than MCE whereas DL is also capping its Comfort+
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 20, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Dirt BA Gold SPG GLD HH GLD
In F, they may be selling half the plane, and it's 67% in planes with a 1-2 F config (at least through the end of Oct.). I am not sure how they are handling parties of 3 or more, so there could be more than 50% or 67%. Another very important point brought out by a previous post is that we do not know the number of upgraders versus paid F on AA. On a flight level, we do not know the revenue premium (if any) they are commanding. We do not have enough info to do an apples to apples comparison, but I am going to guess that the numbers work, otherwise they would not be doing it. I would guess the profitably is pretty close based on how aggressive AA pricing has been.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Old Sep 18, 20, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull View Post
lAnother very important point brought out by a previous post is that we do not know the number of upgraders versus paid F on AA.
Agreed, both could be upgrading a number of these seats.

Q3 will prove interesting to say the least.
Old Sep 18, 20, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed, both could be upgrading a number of these seats.

Q3 will prove interesting to say the least.
I'd bet AA is selling quite a few F seats... if they weren't, partial food service wouldn't be back in domestic, non-transcon F flights over 900 miles. I have seen DFW to select West Coast cities at fairly low "I" rates and huge upgrade lists at DFW without anyone clearing so I was happy that I had paid for F or otherwise wouldn't have made it.
Old Sep 19, 20, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
I have seen DFW to select West Coast cities at fairly low "I" rates and huge upgrade lists at DFW without anyone clearing so I was happy that I had paid for F or otherwise wouldn't have made it.
Certainly possible, but it's difficult to reach this conclusion by just looking at the upgrade list.

There could still be F pax that were upgraded in advance that won't show up as cleared on the list.
Old Sep 19, 20, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ View Post
Certainly possible, but it's difficult to reach this conclusion by just looking at the upgrade list.

There could still be F pax that were upgraded in advance that won't show up as cleared on the list.
Not just by the upgrade list but several other factors; e.g. three of my colleagues and I traveling together on paid first, EXPs and CKs complaining that they weren't upgraded, and AA bringing back better food options in F... if people weren't paying for F, very much doubt AA would have improved inflight service.
Old Sep 20, 20, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
Flew DEN to DFW and flight was 100% full in F and almost 100% in Y.
Also flew DFW to PIT and flight was 100% in F and 90% in Y.
Old Sep 20, 20, 11:25 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
100% full Y and F last night CLT-MIA. Many offers to switch to various flights today. On the other hand, it was by far the emptiest I've ever seen the C/D CLT AC.
Old Sep 20, 20, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taxatty56 View Post
100% full Y and F last night CLT-MIA. Many offers to switch to various flights today. On the other hand, it was by far the emptiest I've ever seen the C/D CLT AC.
Were you on the 772? I noticed that on some days AA is now flying 772s CLT MIA
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 20, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were you on the 772? I noticed that on some days AA is now flying 772s CLT MIA
Thatís great to know. I have to zip up to CLT for something sometime in the next few weeks. I may utilize that service.
Old Sep 20, 20, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s great to know. I have to zip up to CLT for something sometime in the next few weeks. I may utilize that service.
One of the daily flights is showing 772 next week, book it. Meanwhile, I'll be doing MIA DFW on 77W
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 20, 9:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
DFW-CLT this afternoon was 100% full.

Is there ever a time when CLT is not packed? I always have a difficult time dodging people, and the E gates are just ridiculous. Judging by the crowds there today I'd say most those flights were full.

On another note, it took my Eagle flight nearly 45 minutes from the time it pushed back to the time it took off because there was so much traffic.
Old Sep 20, 20, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the daily flights is showing 772 next week, book it. Meanwhile, I'll be doing MIA DFW on 77W
Yeah itís looking like the midday MIA-CLT is a 772 turning around and heading back to MIA at 4:30pm.

Originally Posted by arc727 View Post
DFW-CLT this afternoon was 100% full.

Is there ever a time when CLT is not packed? I always have a difficult time dodging people, and the E gates are just ridiculous. Judging by the crowds there today I'd say most those flights were full.

On another note, it took my Eagle flight nearly 45 minutes from the time it pushed back to the time it took off because there was so much traffic.
Iíve honestly always hated CLT. It seems overly packed, narrow, and cramped every time Iím there.
Abidjan likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: