Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 12, 20, 5:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
At the beginning of the Covid “era” flight loads appeared quite light. As AA refined flights, routes and aircraft, many fewer seats has meant in some instances full aircraft and oversold flights. In others higher capacity widebody aircraft may offer less crowded cabins. International flights are often operating way below capacity at this time, as many nations have bans in place for American and other specified country’s visitors other than those permitted to travel for essential services. Check aa.com sherpa for further information about international destinations’ current Covid-related restrictions.

AA does not block middle seats in coach.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 14, 20, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cyber1k View Post
Any other CKs finding their way to DL for flights right now? Just can't imagine choosing AA full F/J cabin over DL 50% load.
Yeah, I can’t imagine flying on DL transcon again when all they’re offering in J is a Y snack box and your choice of water, beer, or two types of dismal wine on a 5-6 hour premium flight. YMMV.
Old Sep 14, 20, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Any other CKs finding their way to DL for flights right now? Just can't imagine choosing AA full F/J cabin over DL 50% load.
DL One widebodies are actually being filled to 75% at the gate and come October 1st will be filled to 100% capacity including with nonrevs.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Enjoy it until DL pulls this loss leading gimmick all too soon. Then you'll be left with a guy breathing down your neck and a snackbox in J.
Old Sep 15, 20, 10:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Denied boarding due to no Covid test

I bought a ticket for a friend of mine to fly LAS-MIA today. But he was refused boarding due to not having proof of a Covid test. Is this the norm? I know that face masks are required but nowhere online can I find anything about AA having this requirement. When booking the reservation it mentioned no Covid requirements other than a face mask and being free of Covid symptoms for 14 days. I called AA while he was at the ticket counter and was told proof of a test is required. If true, AA must turn away a lot of passengers. At least they redeposited my miles at no charge. Is the Covid test requirement something new?
Old Sep 15, 20, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I bought a ticket for a friend of mine to fly LAS-MIA today. But he was refused boarding due to not having proof of a Covid test. Is this the norm? I know that face masks are required but nowhere online can I find anything about AA having this requirement. When booking the reservation it mentioned no Covid requirements other than a face mask and being free of Covid symptoms for 14 days. I called AA while he was at the ticket counter and was told proof of a test is required. If true, AA must turn away a lot of passengers. At least they redeposited my miles at no charge. Is the Covid test requirement something new?
No, this should certainly not have happened. MIA was the final destination on the ticket?
Old Sep 15, 20, 10:17 am
Original Member

Yes, MIA was final destination.
Old Sep 15, 20, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, MIA was final destination.
Yeah, something was definitely not right then.
Old Sep 15, 20, 10:32 am
Original Member

But it’s strange that when I called AA, I was told the same thing. I probably should have told my friend to ask for a supervisor.
Old Sep 15, 20, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But it’s strange that when I called AA, I was told the same thing. I probably should have told my friend to ask for a supervisor.
Very strange. I feel like something else may have happened. I assume your friend was wearing a mask and didn't try to board without one?

Beyond that I am honestly stumped by this. The only scenario which would require presentation of a negative test would be traveling to a country which requires proof of said negative test for entry.
Old Sep 15, 20, 1:27 pm
Original Member

My friend was definitely wearing a mask but never even made it to the gate. This happened when he attempted to check in at a ticket counter as he needed to check his bag.
Old Sep 15, 20, 1:49 pm

Programs: Costco Club
My friend was definitely wearing a mask but never even made it to the gate. This happened when he attempted to check in at a ticket counter as he needed to check his bag.
Did you buy the ticket from Skiplagged?
Old Sep 15, 20, 1:51 pm
Original Member

I don’t even know what that is. I used miles to buy his ticket.
Old Sep 15, 20, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
Something is not right because there is no requirement for a negative covid test departing LAS or flying to MIA on a domestic flight, AA or otherwise. An AAgent making a big mistake? This was not an international flight with MIA being a stop and not the final destination?
Old Sep 15, 20, 9:09 pm
Original Member

Correct, it was a ticket from LAS-MIA with no onward international travel. I emailed AA CS today and the rep confirmed that a Covid test is not required for domestic travel.

Last edited by Neal; Sep 15, 20 at 9:27 pm
Old Sep 16, 20, 12:15 am

Programs: Costco Club
Correct, it was a ticket from LAS-MIA with no onward international travel. I emailed AA CS today and the rep confirmed that a Covid test is not required for domestic travel.
I wonder if your friend accidentally pressed a button on the symptom checklist while checking in either via the app or kiosk? Would this trigger such a response?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: