Cancel or Change fee Question please

Old Mar 8, 20, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, UA
Cancel or Change fee Question please

Last June, I bought non-refundable flights SFO-YVR for two. The flights are for May 2020. I know if I cancel, I'll have to eat $200 per ticket each for the change fee, and the rest of my paid fare I can use on a different upcoming AA flight. I'm unsure of the correct terminology...does AA hold that money in "an account" for me that I can use on future flights? Do they issue me some kind of gift card for the amount?
Also....apparently because I purchased the original tickets in June of 2019, I have to spend the remainder by June 2020? That parts seems confusing. I'm cancelling a flight in May 2020 and they want me to book a new flight by June 2020 or lose it all? Am I understanding that right?
These are business class seats and we spent about $2,400. I can eat the $400 in change fees, but obviously we want to make the best use of the remaining $2,000.

Any help is appreciated. Fairly new to all of this. Thank you
Old Mar 8, 20, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DontBumpMe View Post
Last June, I bought non-refundable flights SFO-YVR for two. The flights are for May 2020. I know if I cancel, I'll have to eat $200 per ticket each for the change fee, and the rest of my paid fare I can use on a different upcoming AA flight. I'm unsure of the correct terminology...does AA hold that money in "an account" for me that I can use on future flights? Do they issue me some kind of gift card for the amount?
Also....apparently because I purchased the original tickets in June of 2019, I have to spend the remainder by June 2020? That parts seems confusing. I'm cancelling a flight in May 2020 and they want me to book a new flight by June 2020 or lose it all? Am I understanding that right?
These are business class seats and we spent about $2,400. I can eat the $400 in change fees, but obviously we want to make the best use of the remaining $2,000.

If I remember correctly, You'll get $2,400 in credit and pay an additional $200 per for change fee. So you would shell out $2,800 in total. Last time this happened to me, I had one year from when I cancelled the flight. Didn't get a gift card. Just a code. This was many years ago though.
DontBumpMe likes this.
Old Mar 8, 20, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Both tickets should be available for exchange within one year of the original issue date, not the date of cancellation. You can exchange the tickets for flights beyond June 2020, but each ticket must be exchanged by June 2020. The agent will deduct the change fee when exchanging each ticket for a new ticket. If the value of each new ticket + change fee exceeds the value of each original ticket, you'll have to pay an add/collect for the difference. If you booked through AA and cancel through AA, you should get cancellation e-mails with the ticket numbers. Save those in case the agent cannot find the tickets when it comes time to exchange them.
DontBumpMe likes this.
Old Mar 8, 20, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, UA
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
Both tickets should be available for exchange within one year of the original issue date, not the date of cancellation. You can exchange the tickets for flights beyond June 2020, but each ticket must be exchanged by June 2020. The agent will deduct the change fee when exchanging each ticket for a new ticket. If the value of each new ticket + change fee exceeds the value of each original ticket, you'll have to pay an add/collect for the difference. If you booked through AA and cancel through AA, you should get cancellation e-mails with the ticket numbers. Save those in case the agent cannot find the tickets when it comes time to exchange them.
Thank you both. The specific part about "You can exchange the tickets for flights beyond June 2020, but each ticket must be exchanged by June 2020" is how I interpret it also. But when I called AA to ask, I got two different agents who spoke about the travel itself (not just the booking) must occur by June 2020. I have to move my flight from May to August, and I'll find out tomorrow if they let me do the exchange. Will report back
Old Mar 8, 20, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MMRRT Gold

In my experience I have received a credit voucher that is redeemable for one (almost full) calendar year less the $200/per ticket fee. I have also had agents that take my original fare when it was economy and upgrade to biz or first and wave the $200/fee. One time we changed our flights to Panama, which happened to be cheaper and they waived our change fees, we stayed in J class on new flights, where the flights were a lower and we actually got money back (in the form of a paper voucher that they mail you).

It may take some HUCA or just getting the right agent on the phone, but I have found American to be most accommodating in these circumstances.
Old Mar 9, 20, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Thank you both. The specific part about "You can exchange the tickets for flights beyond June 2020, but each ticket must be exchanged by June 2020" is how I interpret it also. But when I called AA to ask, I got two different agents who spoke about the travel itself (not just the booking) must occur by June 2020. I have to move my flight from May to August, and I'll find out tomorrow if they let me do the exchange. Will report back
I've been told this, too, at various times but have never had it enforced this way. I wouldn't ask the question. I'd just attempt to do the exchange and see what happens.
Old Mar 9, 20, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
Or, go to the site before canceling and print a ticket receipt so you have the numbers, if you don't have your original confirmation email
Old Mar 11, 20, 12:36 pm

I was under the impression that if I booked a ticket on June 1, 2019, and later cancelled it, that the funds have to be used on flights occurring before June 1, 2020.

But some of you guys are saying that you just have to book the new ticket by June 1, 2020 and you can fly after that (more than 1 year after the original BOOKING date).

I'm confused as to which it is. You have to fly within a year of the original booking date, or just rebook within a year of the original booking date....?
Old Mar 11, 20, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by BobOscar View Post
I was under the impression that if I booked a ticket on June 1, 2019, and later cancelled it, that the funds have to be used on flights occurring before June 1, 2020.

But some of you guys are saying that you just have to book the new ticket by June 1, 2020 and you can fly after that (more than 1 year after the original BOOKING date).

I'm confused as to which it is. You have to fly within a year of the original booking date, or just rebook within a year of the original booking date....?
I've always simply exchanged the ticket within one year of the original issue date (which is usually the booking date but not always). I've never had an issue doing this. However, as someone else noted, I think the language says the ticket must be used for travel within 1 year of the issue date, which would imply the ticket must be exchanged and flights flown within one year. Again, though, in my experience, I've never had issues doing the former. In fact, usually when I cancel tickets, I tend to sit on the tickets as calling is a PITA, so I usually wait until the last minute to exchange them.
Old Mar 11, 20, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold
Have done this several times in the past, and always been told by the agent on the phone and also via confirmation email that the replacement ticket must be used within one year of the date the original tickets were issued. We travel a lot so never asked to go beyond that time frame. I will be interested to know if AA will allow flights beyond the one year ticketed date.
Old Mar 11, 20, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Aislegirl View Post
Have done this several times in the past, and always been told by the agent on the phone and also via confirmation email that the replacement ticket must be used within one year of the date the original tickets were issued. We travel a lot so never asked to go beyond that time frame. I will be interested to know if AA will allow flights beyond the one year ticketed date.
I guess the question is, what is the definition of "used" in this case? Exchanging the ticket for a new one is "using" the ticket.

I've also exchanged one ticket for a second ticket only to need to exchange the second ticket down the road. I'm 100% positive no one ever went back to the original ticket to look at the original issue date.
Old Mar 16, 20, 4:07 pm

Spoke to a few AA reps on the phone about this, and in the most recent cases, they strictly said the ticket had to be used by 365 days from original purchase. She went on to specify the definition of used is "you boarded and your butt is in the seat and buckled." I asked for a corona extension, and they said no, including a supervisor who also said no. Seems like others above might have had different luck, and a HUCA never hurts.
Old Mar 16, 20, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
Spoke to a few AA reps on the phone about this, and in the most recent cases, they strictly said the ticket had to be used by 365 days from original purchase. She went on to specify the definition of used is "you boarded and your butt is in the seat and buckled." I asked for a corona extension, and they said no, including a supervisor who also said no. Seems like others above might have had different luck, and a HUCA never hurts.
That doesn't quite make sense since you would have a new ticket, not the original one, once the original one was exchanged for a new one. Again, this is one of those things where I don't ask too many questions. I've routinely held tickets for almost a year and exchanged them at the last minute without issue. You can also apply multiple tickets (limit is 4) to a new ticket, so I'm not even sure how they would keep track of the original flight dates in such a scenario.
Old Mar 17, 20, 10:45 am

The problem is that the "exchange" you mentioned never took place. I agree about asking too many questions. I simply say that I have canceled tickets and I need to exchange them for a new flight.
The booking process then began, and during the calls, AA reps always start with asking for the old ticket numbers and the new flights we want to book. Then a "no problem, we can do this."
After about 10 full minutes they come back with "something's not letting me do this. Let me put you on hold some more." Then after about 20 minutes, they discover the issue. Last time, the phone call lasted over an hour.
Like USFlerUS, we held onto the tickets for almost a year (11 months). AA is saying we can still exchange the tickets, but we must take the new flight within one month. We cannot exchange the canceled tickets for a new flight in December. Our new flight must be by June 1.
Old Mar 17, 20, 11:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

In addition and reinforcement to what has been said: First, check whether there have been major changes to your routing or schedule. If so, you might be entitled to cancel free of charges and have the fares credited back to your original FOP (form of payment).

Second, if not, between now and May it’s dry likely more schedule changes will occur.

Of course, keep your eye on Coronavirus related allowed changes and Travel Alerts.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: