Is anyone going to Tokyo right now?

Old Mar 7, 20, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Is anyone going to Tokyo right now?

It's interesting that airlines are still flying to asia at all? Japan now has around 1000 cases of corona virus. Anyone plan to visit there? Also would American Airlines consider cutting back some routes there? I mean at some point the demand would drop and some routes to there would be cancelled.. what do you think?
Old Mar 7, 20, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA
1000 out of 127,000,000. You're right, airlines should stop flying to Japan.
Old Mar 7, 20, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Redacted
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Mar 7, 20, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Nothing (Former Gold), Global Entry
HA and UA have suspended some flights to Japan.
Old Mar 7, 20, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (OW Emerarld), AS MVP
Originally Posted by theshaun View Post
1000 out of 127,000,000. You're right, airlines should stop flying to Japan.
Exactly, the infodemic is spreading rapidly and may be the real killer. Especially the for the largely ignorant Americans that aren't exposed to much real world news to begin with. I've just purchased my flights to see the cherry blossoms of northern Japan in late April.
Old Mar 7, 20, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, B6 Mosaic, HH Diamond
I already visited Japan for a week in mid-February. It was a pleasant surprise to see cherry trees blossoming at the time in Tokyo. I was the only passenger in First on JAL flying to NRT.
Old Mar 7, 20, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by grrizzli View Post
I already visited Japan for a week in mid-February. It was a pleasant surprise to see cherry trees blossoming at the time in Tokyo. I was the only passenger in First on JAL flying to NRT.
Plum blossoms. Cherry trees blossoming in mid-February would be considered the kind of apocalyptic news we would all have heard about.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Mar 7, 20, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL, B6 Mosaic, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Plum blossoms. Cherry trees blossoming in mid-February would be considered the kind of apocalyptic news we would all have heard about.
Nope. That was kanzakura (flowering cherry) in Shinjuku. This is the earliest cherry tree that blossoms, as early as late February. I was in Tokyo only a week earlier than "late February."
JonNYC likes this.
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dunno282 View Post
i love all the BDE (Big D**K Energy) we have here. all the IDGAF about this coronavirus attitude. Makes me proud to be an American.

As I have said on other threads. I am more afraid of getting stuck in a country and being quarantined for XX numbers of days more than the coronavirus itself. That's the reason why I'd be hesitant to fly internationally. I've got nothing to prove so I err on the side of caution.
I like your comment.

Have you seen this news about a guy who was diagnosed with corona virus do bar hopping possibly getting others infected. This happened in Japan. I hope you didnt visit any bars. This came from Japan today article.

https://japantoday.com/category/nati...opping-instead

I also have a popo buddy mine going to tokyo on American for Olympics, but discussing with him he has his concerns. Hopefully by then this pandemic is over and we can start flying
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Well I'm certainly still flying to/from Japan regularly as I live there. The news clip below is from the 4th, my point of posting it is that the vast majority (706 according to that) of the 1,000 reported in Japan are from the cruise ship that got docked at Yokohama. Those were not cases actually in Japan any more so than the ship currently hovering off of California are actually US cases. Those affected passengers were quarantined and the vast majority have either died or recovered and gone back to their home country by now. Japan's actual cases as of today seems to be hovering around 400, which is nearly identical to the US, however I'll bet we see it explode in the US far more than in Japan for various reasons, it's a much more hygienic country, people wear a face mask if they have even a sniffle to avoid infecting other people, and will avoid almost all unnecessary activities if they feel unwell, again to avoid infecting others. I feel much safer walking around Tokyo in the midst of this than I would in New York where people cough openly into the air, blessing anyone who happens to be near with whatever they have.

PAX_fips and LoungeLizardHugo like this.
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:30 pm

At current growth rates, the US is going to overtake Japan very soon
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:39 pm

AA could care less about media reports. What gets them to act is market demand. If that dictates they need to cut flights, then so be it
zip10001 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:41 pm

Was in Tokyo the other week. It's fine. The fact that OP is "surprised that airlines are still flying to Asia at all" suggests they need a different source for their information, nothing else.
Old Mar 7, 20, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bobbytables View Post
Was in Tokyo the other week. It's fine. The fact that OP is "surprised that airlines are still flying to Asia at all" suggests they need a different source for their information, nothing else.
​​​​​
yep.

Also your FT handle is awesome.
Old Mar 8, 20, 12:03 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
It was maybe less than 2 weeks from fine to flight cancellation to icn and mxp

Search this Thread
Search Engine: