Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Basic vs Main Cabin Overhead Bins Question?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

I posted this in the Delta thread as well but want to post here because I most likely will be flying with either Delta or American Airlines. If there is any issue with this moderators, i apologize. But want to know for American Airliness.

I fly from US to Mexico few times and vice versa. I'm American. Also flown via domestic in the US quite a bit but its international now more. I always fly with either jetblue, american airlines or delta, depending on the price and date. Whenever i fly with jetblue, i always book the option with the seat and 1 luggage. But i notice with american airlines and delta, they have options like main cabin vs basic economy for american airlines and delta has basic and main cabin. I always booked the cheapest price with the seats and i know when you buy those seats, you basically board last.

Last time i got concerned because i heard there is a chance that there is no room to store your carry on luggage on the plane if its way too full etc. But i haven't encountered this case once though. But i recalled whether it was american airlines or delta, they did ask if anyone wanted to check in their carry on luggage... i believe free of charge? I recall they ask me if anyone wanted to and i don't think i saw anyone do that.

I will be booking an international flight from Mexico to the US soon and I wanted to know, has anyone here ever had an issue where they could not put their carry on in the bins because they are full and had to put that carry on in check in etc? My main issue with this is i have a big messenger bag which has my laptop there so obviously it being thrown around like luggage will cause damage to it. Like what happens if you board the flight and there is no space for your carry on? Do you not take a chance with American Airlines and Delta by paying more for the main seat vs the basic seat? I have no problem boarding last and whatever seat i take... like even if you said hey another $10 for a comfort seat, I wouldn't even bother because the seats to me are fine. But my main concern is if there is enough space in to put your carry on etc.

Does anyone know what percentage and how many seats in a delta flight are basic vs main? The same with basic vs main on american airlines?

I guess this can also apply to domestic flights as well. But is there a chance there is no space for your carry on if you are basic? I assume best way would be just line up all the way near the front for basic and that should pretty much mean you are getting place for overhead bins? Now if you are one of the last ones to board on the line, good chance there might not be any overhead bin? The thing is if i just had clothes or whatever on my big messenger bag carry on, its not big difference if they check it in etc. Thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A bit confusing, but if your bottom line question is whether there is a chance that there will not be space in the OH for your carry-on, the answer is "yes".

As you will be in Boarding Group 9 if you purchase Basic Economy (your profile does not indicate any status on AA or OW), if space in the OH runs out, it will affect those in the last few groups, e.g. 7-9 as well as anybody in an earlier group who boards late in the process for some other reason.

There is no way to predict whether you will be affected. If you are affected, your bag will be checked and you will claim it at baggage claim just before Customs on arrival.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Your post is a little long and too confusing but what I read (could only get halfway sorry) is concern about gate checking a bag if the bins are full. Yes it happens and does so frequently on AA. It's all really relevant to your boarding group number. If' it's >4 plan on gate checking it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
I am Life Time Platinum with AA. I have a similar question. If I purchase Basic Economy and I board with a carry-on with probably Group 4 will I be able to use overhead?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by geezersrule
I am Life Time Platinum with AA. I have a similar question. If I purchase Basic Economy and I board with a carry-on with probably Group 4 will I be able to use overhead?
If there is space available in the overheads, any passenger -- regardless of status -- can use them. And anyone with status on AA or within oneworld can also check at least one bag for free -- even on Basic Economy fares.

Don't Platinums board with Group 3? I'm a lowly Gold, and I board with Group 4.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Well anytime i took delta or American Airlines, i booked the basic economy and boarded in the last group. But there were overhead bins though each time. So this is not that rare then?

Again my issue is i carry a laptop in my large messenger bag and i cannot have it ever checked at gate if there are no overhead bin there because my laptop would get thrown.

So basically Jetblue almost never has this issue ever right? My concern is with delta and american airlines. I been on flights where it was completely packed and i always had access to overhead bins. I mean i can't take my laptop out because i carry a fanny pack as my other small item. So how would that work then? Also i have electronics on my messenger bag and i don't want to risk any damage happening to it... it surely will have damage if it gets thrown.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
There is no distinction between "Main Cabin" and "Basic Economy" regarding the overheads, but by boarding last you run the risk of overhead space running out. Period.

Is there a reason you can't remove your laptop if you have to gate check the bag? I don't know what a "messenger bag" is, but will it fit under the seat? In practice, the gate agents won't blow a fuse if you have an additional small items that can fit in the seat pocket. I boarded a couple of days ago with a rollerboard, a smaller rollerboard that fits under the seat, and a pizza. I felt like the GA gave me a sidewise look about the extra "item" but let me board. (I was in business class anyway with plenty of storage space but technically the rules are the same.)

I think any experienced poster or flyer will tell you the same thing - you might have 2, 5, 10 trips where you get "lucky" and don't have an issue, but don't plan to throw a hissy fit if on one trip it doesn't work out. Honestly, if you don't mind the lack of seat choice and are 99% sure you'll be on the flight in question (no changes allowed) and don't care about the elite credit or lack thereof, it's probably worth the price differential to buy Basic Economy.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Hi there. Yea i mean running the risk of no overhead space. So delta and American Airlines has this issue since there is basic vs main right? But jetblue, there isn't this issue? I see in jetblue its only like first class or extra comfortable and then its just basic... whether you buy just the seat or seat and bag together etc.

Of course i can remove my laptop from my bag. But i keep everything in my messenger bag and then put it in the overhead bin when im getting into my seat. The messenger bag is pretty bulky so it could fit under the seat as i have lot of stuff in it etc. But they don't allow a computer to be in checked luggage? I had no idea about this... i thought you could but thats dumb because when it gets tossed around, it will get destroyed.

Wait so you are saying might as well pay the minimum which is basic vs main cabin right? I have no issue with where i sit at all etc.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry90210
Hi there. Yea i mean running the risk of no overhead space. So delta and American Airlines has this issue since there is basic vs main right? But jetblue, there isn't this issue? I see in jetblue its only like first class or extra comfortable and then its just basic... whether you buy just the seat or seat and bag together etc.

Of course i can remove my laptop from my bag. But i keep everything in my messenger bag and then put it in the overhead bin when im getting into my seat. The messenger bag is pretty bulky so it could fit under the seat as i have lot of stuff in it etc. But they don't allow a computer to be in checked luggage? I had no idea about this... i thought you could but thats dumb because when it gets tossed around, it will get destroyed.

Wait so you are saying might as well pay the minimum which is basic vs main cabin right? I have no issue with where i sit at all etc.
The computer can be checked if you remove the lithium battery. The restrictions is about the battery, not the computer itself.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 11:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
*Generally* when gate agents make checking bags compulsory due to lack of overhead bin space, they’re doing rollerboards and or large duffel bags. I’d be surprised if they made you check a messenger bag. What are the dimensions of the bag?

just as an aside if you get one of American’s eligible cobranded credit cards you’ll get priority boarding on every AA reservation, Which would make it much less likely that you would have to check your bag.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: AA, Amex
In my experience it is quite likely that Group 7-9 will need to gate check carry-on bags. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case for any airline - decent chance that if you board last, the overhead space might be taken up. There's no guarantee it will or will not. So:

Pack smart. It's that simple. If you like traveling with a messenger bag, have that be your personal item, and make sure it's sized such that it fits under the seat in front of you. Do that one simple thing, and you will have no issue.

You can put anything else in a roller bag or what have you. If you want to check it? Great, easy. If you want to bring it on for the overhead - maybe there's space for it, maybe not.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by jerseytom
In my experience it is quite likely that Group 7-9 will need to gate check carry-on bags
Not mine.

Then again YMMV.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It’s like the lottery, unpredictable. You’ll have overhead space or you won’t. Generally, with variables for every flight, those who board toward the end may find space or may be intercepted as they board and told their bag that doesn’t fit in the seat in front of them will be gate checked. If valuables or electronics are left in the gate checked bag, they might survive intact but there’s a higher chance of theft or breakage - and the airline declines to assume responsibility for certain types of valuables in your checked baggage.

you can gamble. You can travel with one of the many compact, foldable bags is sacks you can transfer your valuables to. You can ask us - but without knowing the details for your specific flight such as load factors, etc.or the dimensions of your messenger bag all we can do is speculate.
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by redtop43
I boarded a couple of days ago with a rollerboard, a smaller rollerboard that fits under the seat, and a pizza.
Originally Posted by donotblink
*Generally* when gate agents make checking bags compulsory due to lack of overhead bin space, they’re doing rollerboards and or large duffel bags.
Sorry to be "that guy" but isn't the term "rollaboard", as in a suitcase that can be rolled aboard the plane?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 6:22 pm

Original poster: put your messenger bag on the floor under the seat in front of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.