Wiki Posts
Search

SFO versus LAX departure in 7-10 days

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:14 am
Original Poster

SFO versus LAX departure in 7-10 days

What would you do?

OK, First, I can't believe I'm about to ask this question. For a number of reasons. But I'm asking out of an overabundance of caution, and because I genuinely respect the opinions of frequent posters here. Ok, now Second, moderators please feel free to move this post to wherever it's deemed most appropriate place. No idea if my question should go under lounges, airports, coronavirus... happy to let you decide as my success rate at appropriately placing any question is about 70% unsuccessful. 🙄

Early next week I expect to be cleared by my doctor to resume traveling and hence getting back to my Australia trip that's been delayed the past month. Currently have two flights on Hold, slightly different dates available, and I can work with either. Both Qantas/AA codeshares, one in F and one in J. One is out of SFO and one is out of LAX. I'll fly into either one from IAD or DCA to position. Should be an easy hands down decision. F flight from LAX, check out the Qantas F lounge, etc. My reason for planning the trip initially was being lucky enough to snag an F ticket on the 388. But...with the virus.... additional considerations.

Am tossing these questions out below for any/all discussion. Including that they are ridiculous questions. Even I think they come across as "nervous nellie" --- and I am really not. I'm just trying to make a smart choice if there is one, because I'm fortunate enough to have two workable choices available.

1) With the West coast situation escalating, and wanting to minimize risk exposure to the virus, which airport would you choose to fly from in 7-10 days, if you had choice? LAX or SFO? (Assuming anyone is flying anywhere in 7-10 days --- who the heck knows what will happen in the next week --- but can only go by what is known now.)

2) Would access to a particular club between flights/waiting for departure still be a factor in deciding SFO vs LAX for you? Why or why not? Are most folks still using lounges in general? Are offerings generally the same (as pre-virus)? I did see one recent post on a thread about reduced offerings at a LAX lounge due to decreased demand. Anyone with recent experience at SFO or LAX lounges?

3) Regardless of airport, would you consider positioning the day before, getting out of the airport, over nighting at a hotel and arriving to the airport just in time for the flight, and forgo a lounge? Rather than being in the airport for potentially 4-8 hours on a connection?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
If you want to go in F, then go via LAX.

If you want to go in J, then go via SFO.

Just book a 'normal' connection, 2-3 hrs, enough time to chill with a few drinks and snacks in the lounge, wash hands frequently, and you'll be fine.

Any precautions you take by avoiding lounges or arriving the day early will be completely offset by spending the next 15 hours in a metal tube with hundreds of strangers, so that is a waste of time, IMO.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:52 am

Good advice.
If you are still unsure let me recommend a method leaders of large corporations globally use to make tough decisions: The so called Executive Decision Making tool.
It is a coin.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: AA-EXP
SFO is subject to weather delays due to fog. That would be the deciding factor for me, as the virus risk is probably the same at either airport / flight. Also F is better than J
Old Mar 7, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
No idea why you weren't able to travel, but I'll assume it wasn't for some autoimmune issue.

As for spending a night in a hotel during your connection, it only increases the amount of germs you will encounter, unless you have the hotel's ventilation system shut and sealed, and get all your air from wide opening windows. This, and being in a plastic bubble during check-in, your additional meals, and so on.

I'd go in F, not even a second thought. So much more room, so much more distance between the next passenger's sputum and yours.

The "West Coast" situation is really everywhere. I just expect that a few more people have been tested here.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Yeah.... I tend to agree with the posts here. It's a crap shoot no matter what and no substantial risk difference remit the virus between departing different west coast airports.

It's probably just as much of a crap shoot when I go to Starbucks in the morning and Virginia doesn't even have any cases yet.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Not sure I would really consider the hotel option, since all of the QF flights from LAX/SFO are late night departures. So if you were arriving the day before and were doing that to avoid spending a bunch of time in the terminal, you'd either have to pay for an extra night, or otherwise get a very late checkout.

If I were in the same position, I'd go through LAX in F or J, only because you wouldn't have to go through security again as you would at SFO since the Intl A terminal that QF departs from isn't connected air-side to any of the domestic terminals. (assuming you're on AA/AS/UA on the domestic flight).
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Yeah.... I tend to agree with the posts here. It's a crap shoot no matter what and no substantial risk difference remit the virus between departing different west coast airports.

It's probably just as much of a crap shoot when I go to Starbucks in the morning and Virginia doesn't even have any cases yet.
I live in Los Angeles County. Other than taking the recommended precautions (frequent hand washing, avoiding hand shakes, etc), I am not all that worried about it.
dciolli likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Totally F through LAX. It's the only thing you can control vis--a-vis any virus concerns. Better experience on ground and air so..
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
From what I've seen in the last week, lounge use isn't down any more than usual, and except for Japan I've not heard of anywhere removing usual food/buffet, alcohol, etc. offerings, not yet at least, but I've also not been through LAX or SFO, nor am I likely to be this year. (unrelated to COVID19, just changed travel patterns).

If you do have concerns about LAX or SFO, is the DFW flight not available? That's also an A380 flight with F.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
I don't think I'd pick an airport by covid-19 risk, but if I did, I'd pick LAX because last time I looked at the chart, there were more covid19 cases in the SFO catchment area than LAX.

That said, I'd do LAX simply because it is a nicer airport for non-*A connections and F. I would not leave the airport at LAX, the construction right now makes leaving an returning to the airport an absolute nightmare. LAX is terrible to get to and from by car or transit, but a pretty decent connection from AA to TBIT.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the discussion and inputs. I booked the F flight out of LAX. For some reason the DFW direct flight outbound is hard to get on an Award ticket. My flight back is booked SYD-DFW though. Actually looking forward to the return flight a bit more as it's during the day.

Right now I just hope the trip goes off OK. My first stop in Aussie is supposed to be Hobart and this guy diagnosed with coronavirus was running around going clubbing and to classes AFTER he was diagnosed. And he worked at a prime tourist hotel. The whole world is going a little crazy right now. I'm starting to second guess whether traveling right now isn't a colossally bad judgement call after all. But there's still a week to decide.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes

Right now I just hope the trip goes off OK. My first stop in Aussie is supposed to be Hobart and this guy diagnosed with coronavirus was running around going clubbing and to classes AFTER he was diagnosed. And he worked at a prime tourist hotel. The whole world is going a little crazy right now. I'm starting to second guess whether traveling right now isn't a colossally bad judgement call after all. But there's still a week to decide.
Similar thing happened in Osaka recently. Usually Japanese are a lot more conscious on their personal impact on others, so was pretty surprised.

As for being crazy to travel, risk is still quite low by the numbers. But personally I'd consider my own age and generally health condition, / strength of immune system and also your tolerance for sudden and unexpected delays and cancellations. Getting caught in a mandatory quarantine situation with your itinerary is unlikely but not impossible.

I'm still traveling, though I'm watching the situation daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.