Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Extend Status / Low Req’s / Challenges / Promos 4 Coronavirus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

As more and more companies add global and domestic travel restrictions, I'm wondering what type of concessions Bridget Blaise-Shamai is considering for AAdvantage in 2020. I'm wondering if we'll see a promo for double EQM or EQD later in the year, or any sort of incentives to book over the next few weeks, like offering double redeemable miles or book X trips get a certificate for a free trip.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
AS has announced a promo today, 50% more EQM on all AS operated flights through April 11:

https://www.alaskaair.com/promo/AS2008

Update your status.

For a limited time, earn 50% more elite-qualifying Mileage Plan™ miles on Alaska Airlines flights between March 7 and April 11, 2020.
Spiff and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
For now I don't see but that could rapidly change. Still, Parker giving out DEQDs I doubt. We'd have to see a 2009 decline or worse. I guess if DL and UA do so then AA would feel force to follow suit.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Still, Parker giving out DEQDs I doubt. We'd have to see a 2009 decline or worse. I guess if DL and UA do so then AA would feel force to follow suit.
US has done a variety of promos in the past, from, "everything counts," to double miles on all flights, and nearly everything in between. I wouldn't put anything past them at this point.
I remember people buying flowers to top off their accounts, rather than flying, in December one year.
boerne likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I recall the "good old days" (in quotes because the economy wasn't so good) where there were routinely double-EQM promotions (e.g. Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)).

I'm not sure how this will work now in the era of EQD-- I suppose that both EQD and EQM could be doubled (otherwise simply doubling EQM wouldn't do much for many elites). But I'm sure we'll see some sort of promotion this year. If there is going to be double EQM this year I selfishly hope that it is announced before I fly my $3000 Finnair J fare to Asia this summer, which will already generate 33k EQM (assuming that trip doesn't get canceled).
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:31 pm
Suspended

100% guaranteed
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I'm currently about to board the last segment of what will likely be my last trip for 2-3 months. The meetings and events I travel to are getting canceled.

If the meetings are canceled or the company shuts down travel, an EQM promotion isn't going to get me to buy a plane ticket.

Such promotion needs to come, if it happens, during the transition back to normal period, not the current period.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wetrat0
I'm not sure how this will work now in the era of EQD
I bet they just waive the EQD requirements (in addition to whatever EQM bonuses they offer).
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I booked a flight to SEA for 3/10 a few weeks back. At the time I was able to get a less than desirable MCE seat. Today, it's a whole different story as most of the front Y cabin has emptied. J4 too. This has always been a C/J 0 flight for me weeks out.
Every major tech company in Seattle has put travel on hold and moved from "you can" to "you should" work from home, in person meetings have largely been prohibited as well so not surprised that flights in/out of SEA are empty this month.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I recall the "good old days" (in quotes because the economy wasn't so good) where there were routinely double-EQM promotions (e.g. Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)).

I'm not sure how this will work now in the era of EQD-- I suppose that both EQD and EQM could be doubled (otherwise simply doubling EQM wouldn't do much for many elites). But I'm sure we'll see some sort of promotion this year. If there is going to be double EQM this year I selfishly hope that it is announced before I fly my $3000 Finnair J fare to Asia this summer, which will already generate 33k EQM (assuming that trip doesn't get canceled).
I remember some triple mile promos, which got EXP and PLTs 4x total, all counting toward MM status. Without that, I would not have my lifetime status.
Coupled with some below $100 transcon fares, it was not difficult to put some sweat equity into getting mileage awards and SWUs for family travel. Of course, that sweating was reduced after getting EXP and a lot of upgrades
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:08 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
If any, I guess it would only be after the situation, then, some “analysis” before anything will happen. My view, it is sensible to adjust qualification requirement for this year, but not to freely extend status to another year.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have already had a lot of intl. trips cancelled so I am hoping that AA does what they did after 9/11 - a blanket your status will carryover regardless if you qualify or not.
Eyenigma and LibertyLobbyist like this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This really doesn't belong in the AA forum because the same issues and motivations affect both the carrier and the consumer respecting others as well.

There will be some fits and starts with promotions, fares, and other bells & whistles, but if this all settles in, one can't replace solid corporate travel with leisure bookings (and still make money). If major tech employers in Seattle stop corporate travel, that can't be replaced by offering cheap weekend fares to somewhere which worries people in the first place.

The fears about travel will only increase as the full impact of being quarantined, perhaps overseas, becomes known. The hardship and cost, particularly for those who can't work remotely, will dampen the enthusiasm for a vacation package which is cheaper and includes some FF benefits.

This will all come down to bailouts, just because air carriers aren't something which can be mothballed for 90-120 days and then restarted.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I'm sure they will, though as someone who's had no travel curtailed and don't expect to cancel any trips, I'll be a bit annoyed that I actually flew for my status. I guess my rolling EQD will keep me at the top of the upgrade lists which is a nice consolation.

I can't imagine the panic will last much longer - each day it becomes clear that unless you're infirm, your risk is essentially the same as the flu - plus my understanding is that community spread is a good sign as that means people get it without symptoms, pushing the fatality rate down even more. I'm not a doctor or public health official though.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Best I ever saw but didn't participate in was with United - post 9/11 I think - where if you completed a certain number of flights under certain parameters you could get up to a free round-the-world ticket in business class ticket. My parents both easily got the rtw ticket and my sister got a free biz ticket to europe.
SpaceBass likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.