Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Extend Status / Low Req’s / Challenges / Promos 4 Coronavirus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Extend Status / Low Req’s / Challenges / Promos 4 Coronavirus?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:56 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Flip side, if you are able to travel (employers cannot prohibit your personal travel but can prohibit you from returning to work afterwards until after a 14-day quarantine period), there are some cheap flights out there for mileage runs!
GTITAN and aztimm like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I hope AA would extend the expiration date of SWUs.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by dstan
Flip side, if you are able to travel (employers cannot prohibit your personal travel but can prohibit you from returning to work afterwards until after a 14-day quarantine period), there are some cheap flights out there for mileage runs!
I'm listening.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
They're going to have to address this now, aren't they, given that customers in most of Europe are now literally prohibited from flying with AA.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:37 am

I just cancelled 70k eqm of Trips over the next three months, and probably won’t be making at least platinum this year for the first time in a decade. Maybe not even gold. I bet AA will extend status, as has BA.

the point is that most of us will only get a mild illness, but that the highest risk patients (to whom we will inevitably spread this disease) will have a rather sizeable risk of hospitalization or death. 10% death rate is higher than most any disease in medicine and understates the care that goes into every one of these patients. To run out of ventilators and be forced to prioritize patients is a nightmare situation.

i also don’t wish bankruptcy on one of the largest US employers—as much as I despise their current management.

Hope everyone stays safe! We will all be back to this incredible passion once this is over.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
They're going to have to address this now, aren't they, given that customers in most of Europe are now literally prohibited from flying with AA.
AA is the least exposed of the USA Big Three airlines to the travel restrictions as currently constituted, as it has fewer USA-Schengen flights than UA or DL, and obviously its largest European partner does as well in BA. But it will affect IB heavily (which is why IAG's stock is still getting pummeled today), and it certainly will still represent a major hit to AA's ops. We shall see what comes out of AA HQ soon I'm sure.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:30 am

back on topic, I would propose to simply extend earned status until 1/31/2022 and to send that messaging out right away, to keep business flyers happy and assured *with AA*.
enviroian and dstan like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
IHG (hotels) has announced a 25% reduction in requirements for their elite status levels for the year.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
I just cancelled 70k eqm of Trips over the next three months, and probably won’t be making at least platinum this year for the first time in a decade. Maybe not even gold. I bet AA will extend status, as has BA.

the point is that most of us will only get a mild illness, but that the highest risk patients (to whom we will inevitably spread this disease) will have a rather sizeable risk of hospitalization or death. 10% death rate is higher than most any disease in medicine and understates the care that goes into every one of these patients. To run out of ventilators and be forced to prioritize patients is a nightmare situation.

i also don’t wish bankruptcy on one of the largest US employers—as much as I despise their current management.

Hope everyone stays safe! We will all be back to this incredible passion once this is over.

Not as many EQM as you but I am in the process of doing the same. Not only my personal travel but I had to cancel domestic flights due to our new company policy going through April . If things are back to normal by the summer I will hit gold but won't be able to maintain plat pro.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm assuming Parker and company will wait until DL and UA announce something than copy what they do.
jordyn, enviroian, GTITAN and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
IHG (hotels) has announced a 25% reduction in requirements for their elite status levels for the year.
I got the email as well - I think it's a great thing. Waiting to see if/what AA will do - but I think it is reasonable that they do something.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I won't be able to re-qual AA EXP this year, no matter AA does! 10 years straight record will be broken!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Kinda a smart first mover for IHG. As a consumer I’d appreciate that and given that I belong to pretty much the big 3/4 programs, at least I know I have a better change to re-qualify for IHG and therefore would consider concentrate booking there going forward ... With the current situation, I’d expect airlines will do the same, but I guess a little later when they finally do see a little light at the end of the tunnel.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:41 am

Lightbulb Elite Status Hold for 2021?

After 9/11, the airlines, including AA, froze everyone at their elite status levels for the following year. Will they do this again now, for 2021, or perhaps something similar? Similar, meaning lower the requalification requirements for 2020. My company has grounded everyone. Plus, our customers are not allowing sales calls. Thus, it will be doubtful to maintain status for 2021. Precedent was set after 9/11. Wouldn't be smart to keep your best customers happy AA?
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:07 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The downturn in travel from this virus will be much less impactful than 9/11. It took the airlines years to recover to good health again. So, while this will certainly affect their earnings for 2020, I don't see them extending any huge breaks to the FFs once business picks up again.
Uzzar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.