Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Partner airlines, using AA basic economy fares - what credit card benefits apply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Partner airlines, using AA basic economy fares - what credit card benefits apply?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic

If I purchase a ticket thru AA, on AA.com, and fly a partner carrier (BA in this case), does BA honor the benefits I get from having an AA credit card? Specifically - the free bag and expedited boarding?

Thanks
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rrz518
If I purchase a ticket thru AA, on AA.com, and fly a partner carrier (BA in this case), does BA honor the benefits I get from having an AA credit card? Specifically - the free bag and expedited boarding?

Thanks
I believe that the credit card benefits only apply on AA flights
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Thanks
As it has been already noted, AFAIK no carrier will grant you any benefits that you get from having a CC, having status yes so eg a Plat on AA = Sapphire on OW

Where this comes into play for me is when I run into Irrops and my carrier wants to book me onto another carrier even in the same Alliance at times I decline. eg UA due to status gives me 2 bags @ 70lbs, the flight goes Irrops and UA rebooks me onto say LH, LH will give me 2 free bags but @ 50lbs and charge me for any overweight,rebooked on a OW carrier I can give my AA# and get 2 bags but also @ 50lbs, if rebooked on say DL its 1 bag @ 50lbs

Any benefits that a CC gets you is for that Carrier only when you are flying on that Metal
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Thanks
In addition to the answers already given, note that the AA credit cards only provide a free checked bag on domestic flights, not international ones.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by guv1976
In addition to the answers already given, note that the AA credit cards only provide a free checked bag on domestic flights, not international ones.
Thanks, good to know, I almost pulled the trigger on an AA operated itinerary to Europe thinking the bag would be waived.

RRZ
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks, good to know, I almost pulled the trigger on an AA operated itinerary to Europe thinking the bag would be waived.

RRZ
All AA trans-Atlantic fares -- except for Basic Economy -- include at least one free checked bag. "Regular" Economy to Europe gets one free bag on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.