Wiki Posts
Search

MCT @ SFO on AA ticketed AS-QF flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

MCT @ SFO on AA ticketed AS-QF flight?

I have an AA ticketed (using miles) AS-QF flight for IAD-SFO-SYD in May - booked into first for domestic & biz for international. I'm an Exec Platinum.

The IAD-SFO arrives at 9:40pm in T2 and the SFO-SYD flight departs International Terminal @ 10:25. This is a 45 minute connection.

AA has ticketed this flight and I'm assuming there's a good likelihood that I'll miss the connection (MCT's are below, showing a 1:45 MCT (transit time, security re-checks probably, checked bags missing the connection, etc).

There's an earlier DCA-SFO flight (on AS with no availability in F) - and as it's not their metal, i doubt they'll be able to open up inventory.

If I misconnect, would AA be responsible as the issuer or AS as the delivering carrier?
If AS, would they potentially open up inventory on the DCA-SFO flight in advance, so as to avoid the misconnect? Or not care since they didn't issue the ticket?
Would AA potentially open up space for WAS-JFK-SFO in award biz (currently none) to prevent the misconnect?

Suggestions or thoughts appreciated!MCT @ SFO:

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.ONLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
OFFLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
** OR * ARE ALL
AS-QF DI 1.45 CDS ** - **
AS-QF DI 1.45 CDS N/A - **
AS-QF DI 1.45 CDS ** - N/A
AS-QF DI 1.45
**-QF DI 1.15 CDS N/A - **
**-QF DI 1.15
AS-** DI SUP CDS AA - N/A
AS-** DI 1.45
FlyingEgghead likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:02 pm

You could call AA and ask (1) why they were able to ticket it, (2) what they consider the MCT to be, and (3) whether they will explicitly notate your reservation that you qualify for protection if you misconnect. And if you're not happy with the answers, you could ask AS and QF (2) and (3).
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm sorry, but why would you book that? It's about 15 minutes from T2 to A Terminal, plus security, which means there's no way you're at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure unless your AS flight arrives early. I don't believe AA should have ticketed it, and AS may not even let you check-in or board at IAD due to the MCT violation.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
A 45 minute connection is cutting it extremely close at SFO, your looking at a 15-20 minute walk or Air Train ride plus you'll have to clear security again. Add in any delay you're connection is toast.

I doubt AA would open up space on JFK-SFO in business at a decent mileage redemption value, they'd much rather route you through another hub. Anything is possible though and worth a try.

Alternatively there are some routings in May showing up for 80k miles going WAS-DFW-SYD, so that could be a possibility. There is also a BWI-SFO flight on AS that works time wise if you can find availability for your date.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm sorry, but why would you book that? It's about 15 minutes from T2 to A Terminal, plus security, which means there's no way you're at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure unless your AS flight arrives early. I don't believe AA should have ticketed it, and AS may not even let you check-in or board at IAD due to the MCT violation.
When I booked it, I booked it over the phone & didn't look at the terminals. The agent said that it would be fine. I live in Australia (though lived in the US for a while) and haven't connected int'l in SFO in a LONG time, so wasn't completely sure about it. Only after i looked at more closely, did I realize it would be a bit of a mess. I usually connect through LAX and the connection for AA to TBIT is pretty quick walk & no security.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freeagent
A 45 minute connection is cutting it extremely close at SFO, your looking at a 15-20 minute walk or Air Train ride plus you'll have to clear security again. Add in any delay you're connection is toast.

I doubt AA would open up space on JFK-SFO in business at a decent mileage redemption value, they'd much rather route you through another hub. Anything is possible though and worth a try.

Alternatively there are some routings in May showing up for 80k miles going WAS-DFW-SYD, so that could be a possibility. There is also a BWI-SFO flight on AS that works time wise if you can find availability for your date.
I can only fly back on May 27 or 28 and the SFO flight is on a 789 vs. an old 747 from DFW (I don't think they have the new seats on that route on QF as yet).

Not tied to JFK-SFO, any other connection would be fine on the domestic segment.

I agree that I think it's too tight of a connection.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
You could call AA and ask (1) why they were able to ticket it, (2) what they consider the MCT to be, and (3) whether they will explicitly notate your reservation that you qualify for protection if you misconnect. And if you're not happy with the answers, you could ask AS and QF (2) and (3).
Good call...I'll do this in the morning. thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I can only fly back on May 27 or 28 and the SFO flight is on a 789 vs. an old 747 from DFW (I don't think they have the new seats on that route on QF as yet).

Not tied to JFK-SFO, any other connection would be fine on the domestic segment.

I agree that I think it's too tight of a connection.
DFW is an a380
freeagent likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
DFW is an a380
you’re right - my mistake. It’s the older biz class, from what I recall & not the updated one on that route though.
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I do suggest you try to fix this in advance, rather than wait until day of departure. The good news is that we should see increasing amounts of award space with the dramatic drop in demand.
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.