Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: AA Survival? Headed for Bankruptcy Reorganization (Ch.11)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: AA Survival? Headed for Bankruptcy Reorganization (Ch.11)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
What kept US and UA alive during those dark Chapter 11 years were the creditors. A world without those 2 airlines would threaten their existence. You can best believe even in a Chapter 11 creditors would be bending over backwards to keep AA in business.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Rarely do US airlines fail. They're given mulligans, AKA, CH. 11.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
There are too many jobs, cities and suppliers that depend on those airlines. They are simply too important to the USA to fail. They are actually more important than the car industry to your country.

Your belief in the market is commendable if a little misguided.
Other companies will come in to fill the vacuum - that's the free market system. I am not interested in using a dime of my tax money to bail out a bunch of poorly run businesses that do nothing but enrich key executives and shareholders at the expense of everyone else. Let them fail, they deserve it.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
There are too many jobs, cities and suppliers that depend on those airlines. They are simply too important to the USA to fail. They are actually more important than the car industry to your country.

Your belief in the market is commendable if a little misguided.
Many could have said the same thing about Pan Am, TWA, Eastern, etc. I don't think the automotive industry is a very good benchmark.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
speculation, lol
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
I would hope AA is planning on getting rid of its outrageous bag fees that are not customer friendly and revamping its mileage program. I would be surprised to see AA go bankrupt as COVID19 continues. I hope AA management will do more to actually attract customers.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pi7473000
I would hope AA is planning on getting rid of its outrageous bag fees that are not customer friendly and revamping its mileage program. I would be surprised to see AA go bankrupt as COVID19 continues. I hope AA management will do more to actually attract customers.
I highly doubt that will happen. In fact AA was the airline that invented bag fees.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
What kept US and UA alive during those dark Chapter 11 years were the creditors. A world without those 2 airlines would threaten their existence. You can best believe even in a Chapter 11 creditors would be bending over backwards to keep AA in business.
As would the Senators and Congressmen of Texas and North Carolina. The same Senators and Congressmen who behind the scenes had the justice department and state attorney generals back off the anti-trust issues with the US Air- AA merger.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by bocastephen
AA/DL/UA might be gone, but others, such as AS, WN and B6 might still come out of this unscathed and can fill the gap.
So if the Big 3 were to vanish, Southwest would start flying to Tokyo, Johannesburg, Munich?

I don't think so.

Everyone's got their niche, business model, capacity. Alaska and JetBlue *combined* don't carry *half* as many passengers as American or Delta on their own. Nobody's going to double or triple their operational scale to jump into some void that their business just isn't intended to fit.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerseytom
So if the Big 3 were to vanish, Southwest would start flying to Tokyo, Johannesburg, Munich?

I don't think so.

Everyone's got their niche, business model, capacity. Alaska and JetBlue *combined* don't carry *half* as many passengers as American or Delta on their own. Nobody's going to double or triple their operational scale to jump into some void that their business just isn't intended to fit.
It doesn’t matter, nobody needs to. JL and NH could easily add a few more frequencies and cities and cover whatever TYO flying was happening before. Same with BA to LON. Same with AF to CDG, same with LH to FRA/MUC, and so on. I don’t think anyone here is suggesting that all three major US airlines will disappear, but if one were to it really wouldn’t be the catastrophe people make it out to be.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

I don't think so.

No, not at first, but they can codeshare with any number of foreign carriers to cover the international gap, and they could easily pick up laid off AA/DL/UA workers and their aircraft on the cheap to ramp up operations to cover more domestic city pairs. CX probably won't survive, but let's say it does - it could easily be given cabotage rights JFK-LAX(-HKG), SQ could pick up IAH-LAX/SFO(-SIN/ICN/HKG), LH could do LAX-ORD(-FRA) etc etc....would anyone turn down hot towel service with a full meal and ice cream sundae in coach LAX-ORD and domestic flights with foreign carrier service standards?
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by enviroian
Sure what the hell! Why they're at it bring back America West too

Honestly I miss the Gold Bond at their Phoenix clubs. Now...while we don't know if it actually causes cancer after being outside in 113° F weather feels amazing.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:32 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA

I don't think so.

Well WN could actually serve BWI-MUC or (way less likely) ANC-PVG if they wanted with 737s. And they already have about as many RPMs as the other oligopolists. Just saying.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Well WN could actually serve BWI-MUC .
The day I see a Southwest 737 at Munich is the day I'll embrace Mr Parker.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:54 pm
C46

Originally Posted by cmd320
I highly doubt that will happen. In fact AA was the airline that invented bag fees.
WN started the the whole LCC/ULCC-trend and nowadays they seem to be more customer-friendly, than the Big 3?!

It's all about standing out; if any of the big carriers would lower the checked baggage-fees significantly, the others would follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.