FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Legacy Aircraft Still Flying in current AA Fleet? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2011349-legacy-aircraft-still-flying-current-aa-fleet.html)

OskiBear Mar 3, 2020 12:52 pm

Legacy Aircraft Still Flying in current AA Fleet?

I'm sure someone will have the answer to this. I'm curious - out of the various airlines consolidated into today's American Airlines, what aircraft are still flying in the current AA fleet?

I know we speak of the legacy US Airways fleet, but what about America West or TWA? Were any Reno Air MD80's flying until the recent retirement of all MD80s?

JJeffrey Mar 3, 2020 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 32137564)
I'm sure someone will have the answer to this. I'm curious - out of the various airlines consolidated into today's American Airlines, what aircraft are still flying in the current AA fleet?

I know we speak of the legacy US Airways fleet, but what about America West or TWA? Were any Reno Air MD80's flying until the recent retirement of all MD80s?

The AA Fleet Site has the most comprehensive details on everything you're asking. The tail numbers are generally the tell all's, for example anything ex TWA ends in -TW, any America West aircraft end in -AW, etc.

https://sites.google.com/site/newamericanfleet/

https://crankyflier.com/2014/10/16/e...umbers-part-1/

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Mar 3, 2020 1:14 pm

No MD80s are left. From the LAA side there's nothing from TWA. Number of LAA a/c including 788, 789 , 763, 757, 738, 319 and 321s. America West 320s, 319s and 321s are still around. Can't remember if the LUS 757s are from US or America West. I've noticed every once in awhile I will get a LUS321 where there's a bulk head (and no storage) in front of row 10. I'm not sure if they are from the US or America West side.

Mwenenzi Mar 3, 2020 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 32137564)

A Reno MD 80 https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-md80-53186.htm

enviroian Mar 3, 2020 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George (Post 32137659)
Can't remember if the LUS 757s are from US or America West.

Eastern :D

aztimm Mar 3, 2020 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32137722)
Eastern :D

If you follow the links above, you'll see that they came from ATA.

I'm not sure if Eastern even had B757's. I do remember riding on EA B727's (my very first flight was on an EA B727) and DC9's.

enviroian Mar 3, 2020 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 32137897)

I'm not sure if Eastern even had B757's. I do remember riding on EA B727's (my very first flight was on an EA B727) and DC9's.

EA definitely had 7-5’s. I would have swore HP picked up a few.

rvolkcpa Mar 3, 2020 2:25 pm

In 1983 Eastern became the launch customer of Boeing's 757, which was ordered in 1978. Borman felt that its low cost of operation would make it an invaluable asset to the airline in the years to come. However, higher oil prices failed to materialize and the debt created by this purchase coupled with the Airbus A300 purchases in 1977 contributed to the February 1986 sale to Frank Lorenzo's Texas Air. At that time, Eastern was paying over $700,000 in interest each day before they sold a ticket, fueled, or boarded a single aircraft.

The above is from Wikipedia, but I believe that it is accurate.

OskiBear Mar 3, 2020 3:36 pm

Fun going through the list. I remember one time when I was at ORD and still in my UA days, I looked up the tail number of the 757 I was about to board. Turned out it was the oldest one in the UA fleet at the time and I can't remember if it was also the first one ever delivered to UA.

Speaking of older planes, does AA still have anything flying with the old-style lavatories with swirling blue water versus the vaccum/pressure flush? UA still had quite a few old 757s that had them but it's actually been a really long time since I've been on an AA 757 and/or 767.

chix Mar 3, 2020 4:11 pm

If you travel to legacy USAirways hubs like CLT, it is easy to spot old paint jobs of aircraft soon to be retired but still flying.

cmd320 Mar 3, 2020 4:25 pm

EA was one of the main launch customers for the 757 and US did operate a few of the ex-EA frames.

born sleepy Mar 3, 2020 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 32138202)
Fun going through the list. I remember one time when I was at ORD and still in my UA days, I looked up the tail number of the 757 I was about to board. Turned out it was the oldest one in the UA fleet at the time and I can't remember if it was also the first one ever delivered to UA.

Speaking of older planes, does AA still have anything flying with the old-style lavatories with swirling blue water versus the vaccum/pressure flush? UA still had quite a few old 757s that had them but it's actually been a really long time since I've been on an AA 757 and/or 767.

Brand-new Eagle CRJs still use the ol' blue juice. It's gross and smelly.

PHL Mar 3, 2020 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32138352)
EA was one of the main launch customers for the 757 and US did operate a few of the ex-EA frames.

LUS picked up a number of EA 757's after it shut down in 1991, and then later complimented with a batch of newly ordered ones from Boeing through the 90's. One of those EAL birds was the first delivered to them as the launch customer.

It doesn't seem like that long ago the US retired it, but looking at airfleets it appears to be back in 2006. There was another EAL 757 in the US fleet that mechanics affectionately referred to as "Christine" (credit: Stephen King) because it gave them so many problems and spend a lot of time in the hangar.

joepercussion1 Mar 3, 2020 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by chix (Post 32138304)
If you travel to legacy USAirways hubs like CLT, it is easy to spot old paint jobs of aircraft soon to be retired but still flying.

Which A/C type? Everything except the E-140 has been repainted, and those generally only see LAA bases, mostly out of DFW

USFlyerUS Mar 4, 2020 4:48 am

Originally Posted by chix (Post 32138304)

All the planes are in the current AA livery. There are no LAA US planes left in old liveries.