Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Legacy Aircraft Still Flying in current AA Fleet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Legacy Aircraft Still Flying in current AA Fleet?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by C46
https://m.planespotters.net/photo/10...eing-737-823wl

Picture taken in JAN20 - I do not see any part of the new livery on there.
AA kept a few planes in retro liveries, one of which is the AA retro livery. Those retro liveries are part of the current livery scheme across the fleet, not simply leftovers from the pre-merger days. I was responding to a prior message that you can tell "old planes" by the livery. You can't.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rvolkcpa
In 1983 Eastern became the launch customer of Boeing's 757, which was ordered in 1978. Borman felt that its low cost of operation would make it an invaluable asset to the airline in the years to come. However, higher oil prices failed to materialize and the debt created by this purchase coupled with the Airbus A300 purchases in 1977 contributed to the February 1986 sale to Frank Lorenzo's Texas Air. At that time, Eastern was paying over $700,000 in interest each day before they sold a ticket, fueled, or boarded a single aircraft.

The above is from Wikipedia, but I believe that it is accurate.
Absolutely. I was on an EA A300 from SEA-ATL. When we pulled up to our gate in ATL, the pilot came on and asked everyone to look to the left and see the "brand new Boeing 757" at the adjacent gate. Being from SEA, we were all thrilled!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Back in 1999 I was flying LGA/BOS when LUS flew single class A320s on the LGA/DCA and LGA/BOS routes. The pilot announced that we were flying on a "spanking brand new A320" and that was going to be the future of air travel. He also pointed out to the 727 at the next gate that was going to be soon retired. Well the future was single class air travel but with a 28 inch seat pitch.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by FlyinMike
HP flew 752s which I believe they picked up from Eastern... I don't recall HP ever having 321s though. Just 737, 319, 320 and 757. They did have a couple of 747s
No A321s at HP, they were lead sleds on a summer climb out. But there were four B742s and 13 Dash 8s. The B752s from EA had Rolls Royce engines, not those noisy Pratts.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Tanic
No A321s at HP, they were lead sleds on a summer climb out.
They did fly out of PHX and in the summer time (they were US birds).
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
They did fly out of PHX and in the summer time (they were US birds).
Yes pm-US operated a few A321 PHX departures daily. The airplanes essentially had 35 more seats and fuel tanks welded to the rear of an A320 fuselage without adding much in the way of thrust or lifting surface. Consequently US needed to depart on the landing runway 8/26 and would sometimes need special handling to climb over terrain and contain its climbout inside Class B airspace.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
No A321s at HP, they were lead sleds on a summer climb out. But there were four B742s and 13 Dash 8s. The B752s from EA had Rolls Royce engines, not those noisy Pratts.
Lived in Flagstaff for a couple of years and had the "joy" of flying in the dash-8. Reliability was so bad, I'd often get a call from the FLG airport agent to tell me I needed to come down early to get on the van to PHX to make my connection.

At least it was a nice foot massage when they did actually fly!
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lived in Flagstaff for a couple of years and had the "joy" of flying in the dash-8. Reliability was so bad, I'd often get a call from the FLG airport agent to tell me I needed to come down early to get on the van to PHX to make my connection.

At least it was a nice foot massage when they did actually fly!
On the contrary I miss those Dash 8's and their cool seating arrangements.

What flies into Flag now--ER4?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
CRJs since they expanded the runway.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
CRJs since they expanded the runway.
Dash 8 > CRJ
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Dash 8 > CRJ
Cessna 150 > CR2
AAway and cmd320 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Yes pm-US operated a few A321 PHX departures daily. The airplanes essentially had 35 more seats and fuel tanks welded to the rear of an A320 fuselage without adding much in the way of thrust or lifting surface. Consequently US needed to depart on the landing runway 8/26 and would sometimes need special handling to climb over terrain and contain its climbout inside Class B airspace.
Not disputing the "lead sled" characteristics of the 321 at PHX, but pm-US flew more than "a few" 321 flights out of PHX everyday. IME, many of the flights to major cities (SEA, ATL, LAX, DCA, etc.) were on 321's.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I just wish AA had consistency in their airplanes. Some 737s have TVs, some don't. Some A321s have power, some don't. Some actually have a decent amount of MCE, some have a bulk head and an exit row. Some A319s seem semi-decent and some look like they are on their very last leg and totally falling apart. Doug needs to focus on the passenger experience and right now it's all over the place at least domestically.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
pm-US flew more than "a few" 321 flights out of PHX everyday. IME, many of the flights to major cities (SEA, ATL, LAX, DCA, etc.) were on 321's.
I meant the first pm-US, not the second pm-US.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I just wish AA had consistency in their airplanes. Some 737s have TVs, some don't. Some A321s have power, some don't. Some actually have a decent amount of MCE, some have a bulk head and an exit row. Some A319s seem semi-decent and some look like they are on their very last leg and totally falling apart. Doug needs to focus on the passenger experience and right now it's all over the place at least domestically.
Well, little MCE and no TVs are the direction of the fleet. Doug doesn’t know the first thing about passenger experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.