Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Prodigal Son Returning? How are things at AA

Old Mar 3, 20, 7:11 am
Original Poster

I used to be EX Plat 10 years ago but moved away from their hubs but am thinking of returning.

I fly all over the place domestically and internationally about 200K miles.

I can get a lot of these statistics mentioned below of the internet but first-hand experiences I think are much more informative.

How are things with AA in terms of flight loads? Are flights empty or full?

How are flights in terms of delays?

Finally and most importantly how is the service? I remember it being quite good, but the stock price is at a low which I think effects moral at most companies as the exec team is stressed.
Old Mar 3, 20, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta, Amtrak
Flights are pretty full other than midweek and Saturday afternoons

Delays due to weather are down at ORD due to runway improvements, but mechanical delays across the system seem to be more common the last 18 months even though the fleet is relatively new. Most of my delays tend to be regional (Mesa), but my last two trips have had mainline mechanical delays of over an hour.

Service is incredibly hit or miss. I would say 80% of my flights have good to great service, and 20% have poor service. Service on the plane (FA's) tends to be better than service on the ground (GA's).

All of my travel is domestic, so can't comment on international travel.
Old Mar 3, 20, 7:33 am

It depends...
Emmett Ervin likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
It depends...
On what :-?

Seriously, I fly all over the place (not a fixed route at all), so a general overview is fine. If it varies a lot that's good to know, but what varies? i) loads, ii) service, iii) lateness?
Old Mar 3, 20, 7:56 am

Programs: AA CK
- Mechanical issues widely reported have been mostly, but not entirely, remedied
- Fleet refresh is well underway. Most (but not all) premium cabins are very competitive with domestic and (most) international carriers. In economy, prepare for less room and no IFE on much of the fleet. Wifi improving across much of the fleet. Some planes still missing power!
- Clubs have seen significant refreshes over past few years, and Flagship Lounges are solid
- Service is a wildly mixed bag with no consistency.
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant View Post
If it varies a lot that's good to know, but what varies? i) loads, ii) service, iii) lateness?
Yes.

Wednesday versus Friday.

77W F vs. E145 Y.

Ex-ORD in the winter vs. ex-PHX on a nice sunny day.

Think about it....
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Number one you always assume that every flight is going to have a butt in every seat in every cabin. Sometimes you will get lucky but most flights are full or near full. Service is hit or miss from the truly great to the horribly ugly. AA still doesn't do a good job with information on delays. However, some AC staff are proactive at getting someone on the phone from operations and getting the real scoop.

Also the upgrade game has changed. It's no longer status level then first come first serve. It's now status level and dollars spent (exclusive of tax) over a 12 month rolling period. Upgrades are much harder to come by for the exception of CKs (now an elite level) and high dollar spend CKs. I'm a PP and on a E175 flight MIA/PIT (with a very good F seat ratio) I'm number 7 on the list, which means at least a few EXPs will miss an upgrade on an E175 on a Tuesday night.
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Interesting ... So why is the share price so low?

I noticed that Americans share price is essentially halved since early last year.

I had put it down to either empty planes delayed flights or something else but you guys are saying that it's the complete opposite! Everything apart from service is great.
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I noticed that Americans share price is essentially halved since early last year.

I had put it down to either empty planes delayed flights or something else but you guys are saying that it's the complete opposite! Everything apart from service is great.
It's not empty planes but it might be planes half full of BE fares.
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
I used to be EX Plat 10 years ago but moved away from their hubs but am thinking of returning.

I can get a lot of these statistics mentioned below of the internet but first-hand experiences I think are much more informative.

Finally and most importantly how is the service? I remember it being quite good, but the stock price is at a low which I think effects moral at most companies as the exec team is stressed.
Unless you're flying to Moline on a Sunday morning most if not all flights are chocked full and usually oversold.
Most flights are delayed
Service is hit or miss. I generally find the former HP west crews more friendly and service attentive but again even this can be a sweeping generalization.

You'll need $15K to qualify for an EXP now but seeing you do 200K a year EQM wise it's not an issue. You'll be seated up front assuming your spend is higher also.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:07 am

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
why is the stock down so much? probably because of the coronavirus affecting travel and the stock itself being oversold with all the negative news out there. Lots of flights cancelled means no money for AAL.
like any other airlines, your flight experience can vary a lot depending on which route you take.
Here are some examples:

DFW <-> LGA - Zero upgrades, weather delays, rare cancellation, 40%-50% on-time. Planes always full. 9 month of traveling this route.
RDU <-> LGA - 100% upgrades, weather delays, frequent cancellation because regional planes. 70%-80% on time. Planes is 80-100% full. 4 months of traveling on this route.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:21 am

Programs: SkyMiles Member, WFBF
I thought this thread would be about Kirby

About the stock, seems like a good time to get in if that's your thing.
pbd456 and CMTinPHL like this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:22 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Which airport(s) will you be based out of? That matters a lot.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold

I think it really depends what what you are expecting.from AA.
all flights these days tend to run full, and I would think that applies to all the USA based airlines.
I have no issue with AA, sure there are delays, no so great crews, etc.. but in all, I think they do a decent job.

After all, the purpose of flying is to get us to where we need to go in one piece.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by dave_261 View Post
- Fleet refresh is well underway. Most (but not all) premium cabins are very competitive with domestic and (most) international carriers. In economy, prepare for less room and no IFE on much of the fleet. Wifi improving across much of the fleet. Some planes still missing power!
This statement is only true if by "premium cabins" you mean premium cabins on widebody aircraft. The domestic fleet also doesn't have IFE on most planes even in premium cabins (and AA is actively ripping it out of some planes), and the Oasis product has to be the worst premium cabin of any domestic carrier. (We'll see if the new replacement is actually an improvement.)

- Service is a wildly mixed bag with no consistency.
While this is true, it's on average worse than other carriers in my experience. AA has a combination of bad labor relations and bad operational metrics that don't incent good customer service and sometimes actively harm it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: