Search

Instant ticketing now on AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Instant ticketing now on AA

Noticed that on the last 2 tickets I booked, my credit card was hit instantly and my PNR was ticketed. First one last week I thought may have been a coincidence, but appears not.

Anyone else seeing this? And if so, this is a wonderful improvement
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hopefully more and more airlines go this way and go more completely this way than is currently the case.

The LCC Norwegian does instant ticketing for a lot of my bookings made on its app.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Hopefully more and more airlines go this way and go more completely this way than is currently the case.

The LCC Norwegian does instant ticketing for a lot of my bookings made on its app.
I'm not aware of any other airlines that don't. BA, CX, QF, Easy Jet and even Lion Air have all instantly authorized my card (among many more airlines).

​​​​​
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm not aware of any other airlines that don't. BA, CX, QF, Easy Jet and even Lion Air have all instantly authorized my card (among many more airlines).

​​​​​
Instantly getting authorization for a charge on a card is not the same thing as instantly issuing a ticket upon charging for a booking. While many carriers can be very quick to ticket upon getting charge authorization approval, many such carriers haven't been doing instant ticketing .... at least not for all their bookings where card payment was submitted and charge authorization approved/accepted.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Antarius
Noticed that on the last 2 tickets I booked, my credit card was hit instantly and my PNR was ticketed. First one last week I thought may have been a coincidence, but appears not.

Anyone else seeing this? And if so, this is a wonderful improvement
Domestic or international itineraries?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deeruck
Domestic or international itineraries?
Both domestic
deeruck likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Instantly getting authorization for a charge on a card is not the same thing as instantly issuing a ticket upon charging for a booking. While many carriers can be very quick to ticket upon getting charge authorization approval, many such carriers haven't been doing instant ticketing .... at least not for all their bookings where card payment was submitted and charge authorization approved/accepted.
Gotcha. AA hasn't been able to do either, so even 1 of the 2 is a welcome step forward.

Would be curious to see what others experience. It is still possible I hit the batch cycle perfectly twice.
deeruck likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Booked 3 domestic trips today, all ticketed in seconds.
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
AS is instant, has been for years, even on Awards including AA flights. Once you hit purchase, you have a ticket when the confirmation code comes back. If a partner is involved, the partner record locator is immediately available so you can visit their website to select seats.

James
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Must be a non-award ticket thing. I just booked 5 award tickets the other day. Got the notice they took the miles out about 12 hours later. Then finally got the e-ticket notification nearly 24 hours later.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I purchased ACIR22 through AA RTW desk with CX, QF, and AA flights and received e-ticket confirmation email within 6 minutes.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Any time your e-ticket includes segments on another carrier, it is up to the downline carrier(s) to confirm positive space. Until that time, you may well have a reservation but not a ticket.

Some of the posts in this thread suggest that people are mixing and matching reservations + CC holds with e-ticket issuance.

AA does indeed routinely issue e-tickets for domestic travel relatively instantly.
BWISkyGuy and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:22 am

I wonder if they will take advantage of this to make it possible to book close-in tickets online. There's been a few times when I've bought a ticket on Delta because AA would only sell it to me at the airport whereas Delta allows you to purchase right up to (and beyond?) the check-in cutoff. There's probably limited situations where this is relevant, but it seems silly for AA to turn away business if they're now capable of reliably issuing tickets in near real-time.
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Any time your e-ticket includes segments on another carrier, it is up to the downline carrier(s) to confirm positive space. Until that time, you may well have a reservation but not a ticket.

Some of the posts in this thread suggest that people are mixing and matching reservations + CC holds with e-ticket issuance.

AA does indeed routinely issue e-tickets for domestic travel relatively instantly.
No they do not, at least not until recently. Ticketing was batch processed and would take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours (depending on when you hit the batch cycle).

The whole fraud thread where people used expired cards was a result of AA's inability to do so.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Last week my international itinerary was ticketed within an hour of payment, which is about normal in recent memory (for all travel on AA metal).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.