Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change return leg of an award on hold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Change return leg of an award on hold

I have an award on hold and I would like to change the return leg. It is not possible to make any modifications online. Being still on hold, I obviously can cancel the whole reservation without any cost whatsoever. But then there is no guarantee that I could get back the canceled seat on the fist leg.

So the question is if an agent can change an award leg on hold, without risking loosing the fist leg?

Thanks,
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by lostfly
I have an award on hold and I would like to change the return leg. It is not possible to make any modifications online. Being still on hold, I obviously can cancel the whole reservation without any cost whatsoever. But then there is no guarantee that I could get back the canceled seat on the fist leg.

So the question is if an agent can change an award leg on hold, without risking loosing the fist leg?

Thanks,
Absolutely, just call AA, easy change.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks. At the end it wasn't so simple. Yes, the agent can easily change one leg. But the problem is the pricing. Now almost all awards with dynamic pricing seem to have two very different prices. One is web special, that is what you see online at the new award booking system. The agent can't give you that price, only the "regular", non web special, that costs about twice as much!
So instead the agent cancelled one leg and I booked a new return leg separately online. I learnt that I should have make two separated bookings since the beginning.

Btw, note that "web special" in this case doesn't mean a reduced pricing at the MileSAAver level. It is still dynamic and sometimes can be quite expensive. At the point that in some cases the cost that you will get if you would book with an agent it would be outrageous.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Two thoughts here...

1) I have an upcoming flight, ORD-PVR, all on miles. I want to upfare (with additional miles) the outbound flight, but I cannot do so without significantly repricing the return.

2) I can’t seem to “change” ANY flight online anymore.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There are only one way awards, so technically there are no round trip / return awards. Changing an award can indeed change the number of miles required if it’s not a fixed award such as a MileSAAver on AA and partner airlines, unless one finds the desired award for the same amount of miles the original award required. Other than that, such a change should be easily accomplished, as long as award seats are available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.