Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

People not being added to upgrade list automatically (March 2020 System Glitch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One

Twice today, I was not automatically added to an upgrade list that I should have been. On my first flight, several other passengers were in the same situation. In that case, it was a flight < 500 miles so all elites should have been added to the airport list automatically, but at least 4-5 people were not. In the second case, I was moved to a different flight due to IROPS, but wasn't automatically added to the list as is standard for CK and EXP.

So you may want to make sure you're being added to lists correctly.

ETA: for the first flight, the app had been reporting that the upgrade was requested before the list became available; the second flight already was showing the list when I was added

Last edited by ikwia; Mar 1, 2020 at 8:25 pm
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Just a tip, if not on the list, simply go to any AA kiosk at the airport and request an upgrade. If the system left you off the list, a kiosk request will put you on the list, without any human intervention,
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Not on mobile app upgrade list

Originally Posted by ikwia
Twice today, I was not automatically added to an upgrade list that I should have been. On my first flight, several other passengers were in the same situation. In that case, it was a flight < 500 miles so all elites should have been added to the airport list automatically, but at least 4-5 people were not. In the second case, I was moved to a different flight due to IROPS, but wasn't automatically added to the list as is standard for CK and EXP.

So you may want to make sure you're being added to lists correctly.
Was not on the list of 28 (!) names on the upgrade list this morning before my flight this afternoon. Called the EXP line & was told I was on the waitlist for an upgrade. Inquired @ the AC desk where I was able to be added. #2/30 at boarding time. Got the upgrade. 😀
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
So this issue is at least somewhat widespread. I wonder if it is related to the recent changes to the list (when it is displayed, and reordering of DSRs)
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold MM, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist
I have had this happen too. Recently I was flying from SDF-CLT-BWI and due to weather I was rerouted SDF-LGA-DCA. I noticed that I was not on the upgrade list for either flight. I checked with the gate agent and she assured me that I was on the list for both flights and that I was number two for the SDF-LGA flight. Four upgrades were cleared and I was not one of them. I boarded and took my seat in coach only to be provided a first class boarding pass from the gate agent about five minutes prior to push. I did clear the LGA-DCA flight also.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: AA EP
This happens to me routinely when my first leg is on Cape Air and second leg on AA. (MVY-BOS-MIA). I usually just stop by check in while changing terminals and they manually add me to the list.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:15 am

Happened to me this morning and nothing special about the flight (I take it weekly) except for an equipment change - L-AA A321 for L-US A321. Mad too because I lost my seat exit row seat, 11E.

i just did the old kiosk trick and my name appeared on the UL.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
There's a longtime issue where if you change your flight (delay or SDC) then don't wait about 10-15 minutes before checking in, you won't show up on the ug list. This has been the case for several years.

Any chance that's what happened?
Antarius, safari ari and AAway like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:21 am

I've only ever had this happen to me when flying via CLT for some reason (RDU-CLT-SFO). It's happened three times. I didn't know about the kiosk option, so I'll keep that in mind if it happens again.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Something new is definitely going on today. Since one poster above noted that they were on the list but not showing on the app, I'm wondering if it's an app glitch with displaying the app. There have been some app updates regarding the display of the upgrade list (e.g. to show 8 hours out instead of 4)
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SamOF
There's a longtime issue where if you change your flight (delay or SDC) then don't wait about 10-15 minutes before checking in, you won't show up on the ug list. This has been the case for several years.

Any chance that's what happened?
No. There is an IT glitch. I was on a sub-500 mile flight too this morning and wasn't added to the upgrade list either despite the app "suggesting" I was. Also happened to a colleague. There was no delay, SDC, flight change, etc...
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I always have to explicitly request to be added to the upgrade list when flights are changed due to IROPS and I'll usually get a quip of "oh, yeah I should do that" or something to that affect, but I've never not been added automatically when I book the flight or do OLCI.
Antarius and jordyn like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
I also had to go through the kiosk to get added to the list. Checked in via app yesterday. PHL-TPA, so not a "free" sub-500 upgrade for golds or plats.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seigex
I always have to explicitly request to be added to the upgrade list when flights are changed due to IROPS and I'll usually get a quip of "oh, yeah I should do that" or something to that affect, but I've never not been added automatically when I book the flight or do OLCI.
Same here. if I do OLCI post IRROPs, then I am left off, despite the App telling me I was added. Usually, a quick request from a GA and it is sorted out.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:26 pm

I also was not added to the upgrade list on either of my segments today. Upon inquiring via phone, I was told that my upgrade request was showing as waitlisted despite not actually being on the upgrade list (either the app or airport GIDS). An agent via Twitter confirmed that she couldn't add me to the upgrade list (must be done at the airport), but that confirmed that this is a known issue: "We're seeing other elite members experiencing a similar issue. We'll forward this to the right team for internal review."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.