Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA made us repurchase our tickets. Refusing to refund. Options?

AA made us repurchase our tickets. Refusing to refund. Options?

Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
As an IT person who has spent 20 years building interfaces between systems, this smells like an interface issue where the updates didn't transfer properly to FJ's systems. I wouldn't necessarily assume the AA agent made a mistake. I also thought there was a limit to the number of coupons per ticket #, so you may have ended up with two ticket numbers, adding to the confusion. I know when I book a PNR with a lot of segments, I usually end up with multiple tickets under that one PNR.

I think you'll have a better chance getting a refund on the unused return on your original AA ticket rather than a refund of the FJ ticket. I'd ask for this to simplify matters as AA has no control over what the FJ agent made you do.
Nope. This was a mistake by the AA agent who re-ticketed the reservation. In the rush, the agent inadvertently made a mistake. It was compounded by the fact that AA has no presence in NAN. Technically, the OP or FJ should have called AA to sort out this mess.

That said, OP should call AA customer relations and concisely explain the situation. Hopefully, they would be willing to refund and/or issue a voucher for the fare difference. In the future, in the case of irregular operations, ask the agent to print out your full itinerary before leaving the desk. That *may* have helped in this case. Otherwise, travel insurance is always advised on expensive trips like this as a fallback.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
Nope. This was a mistake by the AA agent who re-ticketed the reservation. In the rush, the agent inadvertently made a mistake. It was compounded by the fact that AA has no presence in NAN. Technically, the OP or FJ should have called AA to sort out this mess.
I'm not convinced based on what I'm reading here. I've had several IRROPS with codeshare tickets over the years. In at least two cases, the agent ended up having to print the ticket and had me go to the other carrier with that as there wasn't enough time to resolve the e-ticket issues between systems. I remember once bouncing back and forth between carriers, repeatedly walking between gates to try to get this resolved.

Regardless, it doesn't matter. Whether it was an agent error or an IT error or both, it's still on AA to resolve as it owned the ticket. Ideally, this would have been resolved on the day of travel. But, barring that, it seems the easiest way to resolve this is to request AA refund the return value of the original ticket.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Otherwise, travel insurance is always advised on expensive trips like this as a fallback.
Once again, while I agree with the rest of your post, where do you find coverage in travel insurance for "segment incorrectly ticketed due to negligence of airline agent"?
jordyn, MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I'm not convinced based on what I'm reading here. I've had several IRROPS with codeshare tickets over the years. In at least two cases, the agent ended up having to print the ticket and had me go to the other carrier with that as there wasn't enough time to resolve the e-ticket issues between systems. I remember once bouncing back and forth between carriers, repeatedly walking between gates to try to get this resolved.

Regardless, it doesn't matter. Whether it was an agent error or an IT error or both, it's still on AA to resolve as it owned the ticket. Ideally, this would have been resolved on the day of travel. But, barring that, it seems the easiest way to resolve this is to request AA refund the return value of the original ticket.
Depending on how AA calculates the refund, it might not cover OP's additional costs. Many OW international tickets cost about the same as a RT.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:28 am

Otherwise, travel insurance is always advised on expensive trips like this as a fallback.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
1. Complain on twitter to AA
2. credit card dispute
3. DOT complaint
3. Small claims court
This is all good advice. I'd probably do #2 and #3 simultaneously--it's good for the DOT to hear about this (and for AA to have the chance to fix the problem when it gets escalated internally as a result of the complaint), but you don't want to wait for that process to run its course before initiating the credit card dispute. I'd dispute the AA ticket for the amount of the FJ one on the basis that the good and services weren't provided as promised. All the credit card companies I have worked with will let you do this for up to 60 days after the original travel date (versus 60 days from date of purchase).
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by jordyn; Mar 2, 2020 at 11:24 am Reason: Formatting.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
The customer tried! AA didn’t answer their phones before the FJ deadline (unclear, and mostly irrelevant, whether it was check in or boarding time). OP had two choices that were apparent: buy a new ticket from FJ or not fly that day.

And with no ticket available to use and no ability to contact AA, it’s not even clear to me that FJ did the OP a disservice. What could FJ have done without a ticket attached to the reservation?
It was check-in time. Sorry for the confusion. I have edited the original post to clarify this.
For most international flights online check-in is not an option, that's why we make it a point to reach airport with plenty of time to spare.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Based on everyone's advice here, I escalated the issue yesterday by writing an email to Dough Parker, CEO. I haven't yet heard back. I think I'll give it another day, before I initiate the charge-back on the original AA tickets.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by NervousWreck
Based on everyone's advice here, I escalated the issue yesterday by writing an email to Dough Parker, CEO. I haven't yet heard back. I think I'll give it another day, before I initiate the charge-back on the original AA tickets.
FWIW, based on recent anecdotes on this board, DOT complaints seem to be a much more effective form of internal escalation than going to the CEO. (The DOT generally forwards your complaint to AA, and AA seems to route these to people who can actually fix problems.)
JDiver, ijgordon, deeruck and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jordyn
FWIW, based on recent anecdotes on this board, DOT complaints seem to be a much more effective form of internal escalation than going to the CEO. (The DOT generally forwards your complaint to AA, and AA seems to route these to people who can actually fix problems.)
Yes, I agree. However it was also pointed that DoT complaint can take 6 months for resolution. I would loose the ability to initiate a charge-back if I wait out that long.

I am not sure if it would make any sense to register a DoT complain after initiating a charge-back.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no reason to hold off on a chargeback. Depending on your card issuer, you may even be able to upload relevant documents.

Your DOT complaint is separate, It may or may not lead to action by AA and that action may or may not be favorable.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by NervousWreck
Yes, I agree. However it was also pointed that DoT complaint can take 6 months for resolution. I would loose the ability to initiate a charge-back if I wait out that long.
You can do both of these things in parallel.

I wouldn't expect the DOT complaint to result in a meaningful enforcement action by the DOT itself--as mentioned it's mostly about causing someone at AA to pay attention. However, the DOT does log complaints and it's helpful for both you and others to log when AA does a particularly crappy job. So the 6 month timeline isn't that meaningful.

Having said all of that, there's no need to wait on the DOT process to complete before you initiate a chargeback (which you should do soon in order to avoid running out of time on that process). Chargeback investigations take time as well (generally ~30 days), and if AA actually fixes the problem in the meantime you can withdraw the chargeback request.
MSPeconomist and Antarius like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Had similar situation as OP but fortunately the ticketing carrier (DL) had an office at the airport and they fixed it for me in a few minutes. OP did the best thing under the circumstances, and AA should promptly take responsibility. OTOH purchasing a last-minute ticket is a risky decision and OP should expect an uphill battle. Hope OP paid with Amex as I have found they generally understand the logic in situations versus insisting on rigid policies. Definitely chargeback to AA not FJ because FJ provided the services you paid for but AA did not. Good luck!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That said, OP should call AA customer relations
Former aa is right. It hasn’t been possible to call customer relations in probably 5 years.

In the future, in the case of irregular operations, ask the agent to print out your full itinerary before leaving the desk. That *may* have helped in this case.
No, I‘m not sure. The problem was not with the reservation. The problem was with the eticket. I’m not sure exactly what AA would have been willing and able to print at that point upon passenger request which would have identified a problem.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:55 am

You might as well try media consumer advocates to try on your behalf as well. There's Christopher Elliott (https://www.elliott.org) and the NY Times has Travel column called Tripped Up (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/13/t...disasters.html). Try contacting them to see if they can help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.