Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA made us repurchase our tickets. Refusing to refund. Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA made us repurchase our tickets. Refusing to refund. Options?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I feel bad for the OP and hope they get a speedy resolution.

It is however a timely reminder for anyone in the same boat where IRROPS forces a change in itinerary... one of the first things to do on arrival at your destination is to check the validity of your ticket back to make sure the agent has correctly done it. being able to select seats or choose meals does not mean a reservation has been ticketed.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I feel bad for the OP and hope they get a speedy resolution.

It is however a timely reminder for anyone in the same boat where IRROPS forces a change in itinerary... one of the first things to do on arrival at your destination is to check the validity of your ticket back to make sure the agent has correctly done it. being able to select seats or choose meals does not mean a reservation has been ticketed.
I am still not sure how to check the validity of the ticket back in cases like these. If everything looks good on the AA website and seat selection and meal selection works, what are the possible red flags?
ijgordon and deeruck like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NervousWreck
I am still not sure how to check the validity of the ticket back in cases like these. If everything looks good on the AA website and seat selection and meal selection works, what are the possible red flags?
Always check with the operating carrier. But can be hard to do. Operating carrier PNR (FJ) can be different to the issuing/marketing carrier PNR(AA) for the same flight [Depends on GDS-IT systems used].
Were the FJ flights a FJ flight number or AA flight number (codeshare)?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
+1

But as others have stated, do a chargeback for the $1600 extra you were charged to complete the flight. DO NOT get caught up with "you agreed to the charge, it wasnt fraud, so you cannot chargeback'...nor the "its an AA issue, why take it out on FJ". If you wish, charge back 1600 of the original $4000 to AA. (Although the time limit may have passed). My point is that YOU should not waste your time figiuring out who precisely was at fault, and which funds need to be challenged. Let your CC work this out with FJ/AA.

If you just rely on DOT, it may take 6 months and you may get screwed.

You can also send emails to whomever, but get the chargeback started. Can always stop it, in the event there is a miracle and AA gives you cash.
Disagree. OP paid 1600 for FJ services and those were rendered. Initiating a charge back will be a waste of time and cause confusion.

The 1600 should be disputed on the original 4000. AA sold the ticket, they are responsible for this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Disagree. OP paid 1600 for FJ services and those were rendered. Initiating a charge back will be a waste of time and cause confusion.

The 1600 should be disputed on the original 4000. AA sold the ticket, they are responsible for this.
Agreed. A charge back to FJ is not appropriate and almost surely won't succeed. FJ sold a ticket for services, and those services were used.
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Bookings (reservations) can exist, with full functionality (like selecting seats), but unless they are 'paid' you won't be able to fly. Paid = ticket number against the booking. It's a call to the operating airline to ask them if they have a ticket number and if the booking is good to fly.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Were the FJ flights a FJ flight number or AA flight number (codeshare)?
It was a AA flight number (code share)
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
In the original post you checked the AA app, not the website. Helps if you stick with one story. The website often displays more data so check the website, not the app. As noted, call the operating carrier(s) and the booking carrier for confirmation the ticket does not need to be reissued. Arrive at the airport 3 hours prior to arrive for international flights and check in immediately. If the ticket needs to be reissued the check in at the airport will not work. The inability to check in online is of no consequences for international flights. Be somewhat resourceful. Certainly isn't out of the realm of reality for an individual to have access to a pennies per minute calling app such as Skype.

For issues with the travel industry such as airline two good options are "hang up call again" and "your mileage may vary". Escalating issues doesn't work very well. The agent will note the file and the airline ceases to work with the customer. The airline doesn't have a vested interest in the customer after the customer repeatedly states they will never fly with the airline again. At some point you cut off the nose to spite the face.

Regardless, you made the decision to book another ticket. You purchased the ticket from AA and the recourse to the issues with the ticket was with AA, not the operating carrier. In the event the issue was not addressed in time the next best option might be a departure the next day. But then we have yet another complaint...

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Mar 1, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
We had booked the original tickets with AA almost 4 months ago. Is a CC chargeback still possible?
The advice to dispute the $1,600 FJ ticket is completely wrong. Rather, file a partial dispute of the AA charge ($1,600 of the $4,000 tickets). If indeed AA used the flight segment to cover your outbound, then FJ was entirely justified in denying boarding and requiring you to pay for tickets back home. An FJ dispute will be denied in very short order.

As to timing, while US law only requires card issuers to provide 60 days, most provide a good deal longer depending on circumstances -- some up to a year. Here, where you have a complex set of facts and attempted to resolve with the vendor first, you may well have some luck.
MSPeconomist and Antarius like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Agreed. A charge back to FJ is not appropriate and almost surely won't succeed. FJ sold a ticket for services, and those services were used.
I’m not 100% convinced of this. One of the dispute options is that “I already paid for this via another means” (or similar wording). That other means is the original AA ticket you bought which FJ seemed to refuse to accept.

That said, if you’re really convinced AA is to blame (which seems to be the case) then by all means pursue the refund with AA, via chargeback/DOT/SCC.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I’m not 100% convinced of this. One of the dispute options is that “I already paid for this via another means” (or similar wording). That other means is the original AA ticket you bought which FJ seemed to refuse to accept.
This is meant when you pay the same vendor using, for example, a paper check and credit card -- i.e., the same vendor received more than one payment for the purchased product. I don't believe this is meant to cover situations where you pay a different vendor for what is, in effect, a different product (ticket on FJ vs ticket on AA).

I really think the solution to this will be a refund of the original return value, assuming the facts are what we believe them to be. I am somewhat concerned that, if the OP didn't arrive 3 hours before scheduled departure as recommended, AA may say this could have been resolved had he done so. It's hard to say.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ijgordon

That said, if you’re really convinced AA is to blame (which seems to be the case) then by all means pursue the refund with AA, via chargeback/DOT/SCC.
But, if the FJ agent and backup paperwork is to the contrary, it's not the case. There was no ticket for the FJ segment and thus FJ denied boarding. The new tickets were a new transaction. The same paperwork OP has will torpedo his chargeback claim.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
The information provided by FJ to the customer is gobbledygook, for lack of a better term. Itineraries requiring reissue are an incoherent list of segments prior to the reissue. The screen viewed by the customer service representatives are nothing like the screens viewed by the customers. I worked with a travel department and watched the travel agents click away for hours in a language unlike no other. FJ did the customer a disservice. The customer needed to call AA to fix the ticket.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
FJ did the customer a disservice. The customer needed to call AA to fix the ticket.
The customer tried! AA didn’t answer their phones before the FJ deadline (unclear, and mostly irrelevant, whether it was check in or boarding time). OP had two choices that were apparent: buy a new ticket from FJ or not fly that day.

And with no ticket available to use and no ability to contact AA, it’s not even clear to me that FJ did the OP a disservice. What could FJ have done without a ticket attached to the reservation?
SK, MSPeconomist, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
The information provided by FJ to the customer is gobbledygook, for lack of a better term. Itineraries requiring reissue are an incoherent list of segments prior to the reissue. The screen viewed by the customer service representatives are nothing like the screens viewed by the customers. I worked with a travel department and watched the travel agents click away for hours in a language unlike no other. FJ did the customer a disservice. The customer needed to call AA to fix the ticket.
What on earth are you talking about? An "incoherent list of segments"?

The agent showed the OP the ticket status, which was EXCH on the segment in question, and OPEN on the other segments. That's all we need to know here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.