Citi vs. Barclays

Old Feb 28, 20, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SW, Hilton, , UAL plebe, AA plebe
Citi vs. Barclays

I have both a Barclays (since about 2005 w/USAirways) as well as a Citi PlatinumSelect.

I think I have one too many and would appreciate some advice as to which card offers better benefits. I think the annual fee is about the same. The Barclays card has an enormous credit limit (that I never get even close to using), and the Citi card not as much, but again I don't need even what they offer. I rarely spend more than $1K per month on either. (I got the Citi card just to take advantage of the AA miles bonus, but now it sits unused)

Benefits that I like are the expedited boarding, free bag check, extra miles for AA tickets, and no international fees. The Barclays card also has a PIN (very useful abroad), not sure about the Citi card.

So to the experts - if I had to ditch one, which one would I keep to retain the best suite of benefits?

Thanks
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTT | IHG Mbr| Hertz 5 Star | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by rrz518 View Post
I have both a Barclays (since about 2005 w/USAirways) as well as a Citi PlatinumSelect.

I think I have one too many and would appreciate some advice as to which card offers better benefits. I think the annual fee is about the same. The Barclays card has an enormous credit limit (that I never get even close to using), and the Citi card not as much, but again I don't need even what they offer. I rarely spend more than $1K per month on either. (I got the Citi card just to take advantage of the AA miles bonus, but now it sits unused)

Benefits that I like are the expedited boarding, free bag check, extra miles for AA tickets, and no international fees. The Barclays card also has a PIN (very useful abroad), not sure about the Citi card.

So to the experts - if I had to ditch one, which one would I keep to retain the best suite of benefits?

Thanks
That depends on what each card actually offers for benefits and what you value. I have both for specific reasons that may be meaningless to you.

It does not appear you actually know how much each card costs you and what all itís benefits areóyou might consider logging into the account for each and pullIng down the current member benefits to make your decision.

cheers!
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAir_head View Post
That depends on what each card actually offers for benefits and what you value. I have both for specific reasons that may be meaningless to you.

It does not appear you actually know how much each card costs you and what all itís benefits areóyou might consider logging into the account for each and pullIng down the current member benefits to make your decision.

cheers!
Old Feb 28, 20, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
What category is your spend? Citi has 2 pt/$ on gas and groceries in addition to AA purchases, where Barclays only has it on AA purchases. If you donít use the bonus spend categories, then I think the Barclays is the marginal winner with the $25 annual WiFi credit.

Originally Posted by AAir_head View Post
I have both for specific reasons that may be meaningless to you.
Iím curious what those reasons are.
Old Feb 28, 20, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Past the signup bonus/waived annual fee theyíre both meh cards. There are far better options out there.
Old Feb 28, 20, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The main reason, I have both, is because I churn both,

The best perk is the new card bonuses ,
Old Feb 28, 20, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Iím curious what those reasons are.[/QUOTE]

As am I. That's why I started the discussion.
Old Feb 28, 20, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Past the signup bonus/waived annual fee theyíre both meh cards. There are far better options out there.
Such as?
Old Feb 28, 20, 8:50 pm

Switched from Citi to Barclays (from Red to silver) mainly due to its yearly two companion certificates and EQM/EQD.
Old Feb 29, 20, 6:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, Admirals Club (via CC)
I have the same Barclays, rolled over from US Air. They just sent the new one in the mail. Iím about to throw it in the drawer. Iíll pay the fee just to have the credit available.

I also have the Citi World Elite. We use it for everything personal. It is great when abroad because you can easily set the travel settings. Admirals Club Access is fantastic. The first time we took my in-laws in, my FIL said ďAre we allowed in here?Ē It really eases the craziness of the airport for us.

So to answer your question with a question, why shut off either?
Old Feb 29, 20, 8:03 am

Programs: AA: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTT | IHG Mbr| Hertz 5 Star | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by Aero137 View Post
What category is your spend? Citi has 2 pt/$ on gas and groceries in addition to AA purchases, where Barclays only has it on AA purchases. If you don’t use the bonus spend categories, then I think the Barclays is the marginal winner with the $25 annual WiFi credit.

I’m curious what those reasons are.
Spend is about $70K across all cards. Could push it up over $100K with mortgage and other high $ expenses, but can’t be bothered.

Barclays: 3 miles/$ for AA fares/fees, travel protections, companion cert, & food/bev and WiFi credits, in that order

Citi: AC access for me and my spouse < cost for household account under new AC fee structure

EDIT: We have the Citi Exec Elite, not Plat Select; from what I can tell, there’s not a great reason to choose the PS over Barclays.

Anyway, not sure why you/OP asked when a quick web search would have landed you here. Or here.

That work for ya?

Cheers!

Last edited by AAir_head; Feb 29, 20 at 12:21 pm
Old Feb 29, 20, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by onanisland View Post
I have the same Barclays, rolled over from US Air. They just sent the new one in the mail. Iím about to throw it in the drawer. Iíll pay the fee just to have the credit available.

I also have the Citi World Elite. We use it for everything personal. It is great when abroad because you can easily set the travel settings. Admirals Club Access is fantastic. The first time we took my in-laws in, my FIL said ďAre we allowed in here?Ē It really eases the craziness of the airport for us.

So to answer your question with a question, why shut off either?
I downgraded my red card to a (gray?) card with no annual fee just to keep the credit. Two+ years later, I needed some more miles, so I got the red card again for 60k. It just hit the annual fee. I think I'll keep it for this year for possible baggage benefits, but I'll cancel it. Probably will try to get them to shift the credit over to the gray card.
onanisland likes this.
Old Feb 29, 20, 3:18 pm

Programs: Free agent
Close both cards, put your spend on a generalist card and then reopen them both in 2 years for the 120k miles.
Old Feb 29, 20, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain View Post
Close both cards, put your spend on a generalist card and then reopen them both in 2 years for the 120k miles.
I like the free checked bag and "priority" (zone 5) boarding. Can a generalist card do those?
Old Feb 29, 20, 4:47 pm

Programs: Free agent
No but they can put your spending to better use and get you lounge access (AMEX Plat, Chase Sapphire) as well as higher return on ticket purchases (5X on the AMEX and 3X on the CSR). Depending on your actual number of flights with AA, the amount in benefits will very likely outweigh the cost of a checked bag. The priority can't be avoided but Group 6/7 isn't that much worse, especially on long-haul.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: