FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   More proof PHL gate agents don’t care (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2010826-more-proof-phl-gate-agents-don-t-care.html)

Mr. BoH Feb 27, 2020 8:09 pm

More proof PHL gate agents don’t care

Departing from PHL on a connection, flight delayed an hour or two due to weather, whatever. GA gets on the mic and tells us boarding will commence at 8:00. Ok, fair enough.

At about 7:50, GA walks out and says, “ok, we’re going to board now, group 1?” People start to grab their bags and stand up. GA, before the first person reaches the desk: “Group 2... group 3...” [less than 5 second pause], “Group 4, 5, 6...” [giggles to partner GA and immediately blurts], “ok, group 7, 8, 9”. At this point there is a mad swarm of gate lice that takes forever to clear.

And that’s the story of how I had to gate check my carryon despite being seated in F and waiting at the gate for an hour.

hedoman Feb 27, 2020 8:14 pm

What are you, some kind of AA customer not familiar with US Air?

MSPeconomist Feb 27, 2020 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by hedoman (Post 32121178)

Or PHL?

Mr. BoH Feb 27, 2020 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by hedoman (Post 32121178)

Yeah, yeah, that’s why I titled it “more proof”. But there was something about this one that seemed particularly malicious, like they enjoyed creating chaos. Usually I just get indifference and incompetence at PHL.

perseus11 Feb 27, 2020 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 32121168)
""More proof PHL gate agents don’t give <care>...

False Generalization at its best :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Mr. BoH Feb 27, 2020 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by perseus11 (Post 32121229)
False Generalization at its best :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Admittedly a generalization, but I think the first two replies in the thread indicate it is not far off.

AANYC1981 Feb 27, 2020 9:11 pm

AAs “Crown Jewel” of transatlantic operations! 😂😂🙄🙄

CPRich Feb 27, 2020 9:26 pm

For those going back 25+ years, more proof hasn't been needed for a long time.

I think that's long enough to confirm that it's not a generalization based on one or two incidents. Literally hundreds of flights through PHL. And thousands elsewhere for comparison.

Gig103 Feb 27, 2020 11:20 pm

Even with the swarm shouldn't you have been able to use the Priority lane?

/wishful thinking

Antarius Feb 27, 2020 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 32121344)
For those going back 25+ years, more proof hasn't been needed for a long time.

I think that's long enough to confirm that it's not a generalization based on one or two incidents. Literally hundreds of flights through PHL. And thousands elsewhere for comparison.

Yep. Im only half kidding when I say that Sanaa airport in Yemen after it was bombed initially was still a more pleasant experience than PHL or LGA.

At least LGA has the decency to admit they suck by bulldozing the entire thing.

757FO Feb 28, 2020 4:49 am

Granted, the GA's at PHL can be challenging at times, but I wonder if the scramble was due to the delay, and the desire to get everyone on-board and on their way?

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Feb 28, 2020 5:41 am

GAs allowing a mad rushing at boarding is far an issue than beyond PHL. It's why I hang out close to but not blocking the boarding lane. And ready to cut through the paxs blocking the lane holding onto a BP with Group 9 printed on it and a look as though the a/c is going to leave without them. The old saying the best defense is a good offense.

Dublin_rfk Feb 28, 2020 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 32121168)
Departing from PHL on a connection, flight delayed an hour or two due to weather, whatever. GA gets on the mic and tells us boarding will commence at 8:00. Ok, fair enough.

At about 7:50, GA walks out and says, “ok, we’re going to board now, group 1?” People start to grab their bags and stand up. GA, before the first person reaches the desk: “Group 2... group 3...” [less than 5 second pause], “Group 4, 5, 6...” [giggles to partner GA and immediately blurts], “ok, group 7, 8, 9”. At this point there is a mad swarm of gate lice that takes forever to clear.

And that’s the story of how I had to gate check my carryon despite being seated in F and waiting at the gate for an hour.

Must have been a newbie. A truly experienced US/AA gate agent would just have saved their breath and bellowed out "ALL ABOARD!"

dave_261 Feb 28, 2020 6:07 am

I had a gate agent at PHL just last week tell me something to the effect of 'I'm going to get you on now and give you some time to get settled before starting w/ group 1'.

There are good and bad eggs in any business/industry.

Mr. BoH Feb 28, 2020 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 32121531)
Even with the swarm shouldn't you have been able to use the Priority lane?

/wishful thinking

Lol, they didn’t even have a second lane open... one of the many “cramped” gates at PHL