Newbie question (to merge)

Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Newbie question (to merge)

Have a flight booked on April 22- June 1 thru AA and currently have no status but thinking of doing the status challenge for platinum.

YYC-DFW on I
DFW-HND on I
HND-MNL on X
MNL-HKG on I
HKG-DFW on I
DFW-YYC on I

just wondering how many miles I would earn and if it’s worth it to do it with platinum status or without. Paid about $3,082 USD wondering if that was a good deal? Thanks and sorry for being a total newb.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:06 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm moving this thread to our AA forum where it will be better answered.

Ryandc99 Moderator Mileage Run forums
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
There are online mileage calculators that are close enough to what you earn (within a few miles). Two examples are:
Mileage Calculator - WebFlyer :: The Frequent Flyer Authority
or
MileCalc :: The Ultimate Mileage Calculator for Frequent Flyers

If it's worth it? Depends on where you are and where you are flying to. Also what do you want out of Plat status? I don't know if Calgary is elite heavy (which would limit upgrades).
jlimftalk likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
The following calculations are rough. You can refer to the EQM earning charts for AA, JL and CX to see how you earn, all calculations are approximate based on GCMap's listed distances.

YYC-DFW = 3046
DFW-HND = 12924 (AA and JL both earn 2 EQM per mile flown on an I fare)
HND-MNL = 3718
MNL-HKG = 1067
HKG-DFW = 16246
DFW-YYC = 3046

I don't know what the status challenge requirements are these days, but you'll be earning approximately 40k EQM on this fare. The only benefit of holding AA Platinum status prior to commencing the trip, given that it's in business class, would be additional award miles.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Feb 26, 2020 at 1:44 pm Reason: Typographical error
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
Is there a PlatinumPro challenge available? You might have enough for it, and it has more perks.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....just wondering how many miles I would earn and if it’s worth it to do it with platinum status or without. Paid about $3,082 USD wondering if that was a good deal? Thanks and sorry for being a total newb.
Originally Posted by TSparky
There are online mileage calculators that are close enough to what you earn (within a few miles). Two examples are:
Mileage Calculator - WebFlyer :: The Frequent Flyer Authority
or
MileCalc :: The Ultimate Mileage Calculator for Frequent Flyers

If it's worth it? Depends on where you are and where you are flying to. Also what do you want out of Plat status? I don't know if Calgary is elite heavy (which would limit upgrades).
And GCM map--->Great Circle Mapper
The AA Plat challenge is not available for all airlines. Check the dedicated Plat challenge thread
Do you have or can you get Plat before these flights?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 26, 2020 at 12:52 pm
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

I wish they had a platinum pro challenge but I think I’d have enough organic travel within the year to hit that as I’m probably going to be doing this same exact route or a slight variation one to two more times this year. As far as platinum status my goal would be plat pro or executive plat just thought doing the challenge would be a jump start to it. I don’t think YYC would be elite heavy maybe for star alliance.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

I can get plat before the flight but to do that would cost an extra $540 USD don’t really think it’s worth it to do just for the multiplier/elite bonus. Might as well put that money for future flights.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

You might want to read this thread, and look at the expandable Wikipost at the top of the thread.

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Another newb question say for example I get plat status prior to June 16 but then qualify for plat pro after June 16 when does my status expire?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by jlimftalk
Another newb question say for example I get plat status prior to June 16 but then qualify for plat pro after June 16 when does my status expire?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Status on AA (for now) expires on 31 January, a full year after you earn status. Regardless of when you earn status in 2020, your status would expire on 31 January 2022. Of course if you earn it next year then you'd push that out another year.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Oh ok then it makes getting status a little bit more worth it as would be doing quite a bit of flying within that year
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jlimftalk
Status earned from a challenge is only good to January 31 of the year following if you start the challenge before June 16, i.e. before June 16 2020 gets status through January 31 2021. Status earned during the calendar year is good to January 31 of the second year, i.e. if you earn it during 2020 it is good to January 31 2022.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.