FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA to QR connection: BOS or PHL? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2010105-aa-qr-connection-bos-phl.html)

aktchi Feb 22, 2020 12:52 am

AA to QR connection: BOS or PHL?

Usually I am able to fly ORD-DOH on QR from my home city itself (Chicago). However, this time short notice and inflexible schedules have meant that I must choose between connecting in BOS or PHL. The connection would be from AA domestic to QR international. Which of those two airports would you recommend for a smooth connection? How much time will be safe and comfortable?
Spoiler

Blumie Feb 22, 2020 1:11 am

I can't answer for PHL, but at BOS a change of terminal and re-clearing security is required. MCT is one hour, but I'd give yourself two hours so as not to feel rushed (i.e., if your schedule permits, take AA2321 rather than AA1251).

There is a shuttle bus to go from Terminal B (AA) to Terminal E (International), but I usually walk -- a 10- to 15-minute walk at a brisk pace. Note that Terminal C and Terminal E are connected airside, so you could walk from Terminal B to Terminal E and, if the line for security there is not bad, re-clear security at Terminal C. I would expect at that time for the lines at Terminal C to be shorter than at Terminal E.

If you take my advice and take the earlier AA flight, you also could consider having dinner in East Boston, the neighborhood in which Logan Airport is located, before your QR flight. You can get great Mexican food at Angela's Kitchen, Italian at Rino's, or pizza at Santarpio's, all within a short cab/uber ride from the airport.

[Edited to add: I just noticed that if you connect at PHL, you can fly ORD-PHL in a 788, which might be reason enough to fly via PHL if it's a relatively easy connection.]

sombrachinesca Feb 22, 2020 4:15 am

PHL is same terminal, no need to reclear security - although potentially a long walk if arriving into C gates as QR will always be leaving from international A gates.

As long as both routes are QSuites and price/times are similar, I’d go with PHL to avoid changing terminals.

IADCAflyer Feb 22, 2020 5:26 am

I vote for PHL. All within security. QR typically uses the A gates that are nearest to the escalator to the A-west club (which is closed for renovations).

JJeffrey Feb 22, 2020 5:30 am

Yea, I've flown AA to QR at both BOS and PHL several times, 100% PHL from an ease of connection standpoint. No need to change terminals and reclear security, as mentioned above.

Pittie Pup Feb 22, 2020 8:52 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 32099950)
Yea, I've flown AA to QR at both BOS and PHL several times, 100% PHL from an ease of connection standpoint. No need to change terminals and reclear security, as mentioned above.

+1

A321T Feb 22, 2020 9:40 am

PHL has a Centurion Lounge and BA lounge near the A gates, though it looks like BOS has a BA lounge too.

DMPHL Feb 22, 2020 10:01 am

Even if arriving in C, with the help of moving walkways, etc., it should take you 10-12 minutes from the time you get off the plane to get to the BA Lounge, which is pretty much right across from the gate QR uses. With no change of terminals, PHL by a long shot.

aktchi Feb 22, 2020 1:54 pm

Done! Thank you all for your help.

allset2travel Feb 22, 2020 10:18 pm

PHL would be smoother than ORD. Just don't like to tackle the T3 to T5 hassle. But ORD lounges (in T3) maybe be better.

Blumie Feb 22, 2020 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 32102286)
PHL would be smoother than ORD. Just don't like to tackle the T3 to T5 hassle. But ORD lounges (in T3) maybe be better.

The options are BOS or PHL.

aktchi Feb 23, 2020 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 32102286)

I actually live in Chicago, so no "connection" needed at ORD. I would have preferred to fly nonstop from here. However, this option is not there on my dates and I need to choose between connecting in BOS and PHL. Based on what appears to be the unanimous consensus here, I have booked the PHL route. Thanks to all for helping.

ramcm7 Feb 24, 2020 12:10 pm

What size plane would the ORD-PHL leg use? Small planes go to Terminal F at PHL and require a shuttle ride or a brisk walk to A/B/C.

Flyer78 Feb 24, 2020 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by ramcm7 (Post 32107838)
What size plane would the ORD-PHL leg use? Small planes go to Terminal F at PHL and require a shuttle ride or a brisk walk to A/B/C.

The B737 is the most common on the route, there should be at least one 787, the rest are mainline Airbus. Not saying it never happens, but these days I would be surprised if it was a regional flight into F. Even if arriving in F, shuttle or walking does not require another trip through security.

Blumie Feb 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer78 (Post 32107930)
The B737 is the most common on the route, there should be at least one 787, the rest are mainline Airbus. Not saying it never happens, but these days I would be surprised if it was a regional flight into F. Even if arriving in F, shuttle or walking does not require another trip through security.

Most days there’s a 787 that connects well with the QR flight.