Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Mishandled & Lost More Baggage in 2019...

Old Feb 22, 20, 12:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis

American Airlines mishandled and lost more luggage than any carrier last year American and its partners lost or mishandled more than a million bags in 2019. Kyle Arnold, Dallas News, 21 Feb 2020 — link

U.S. airlines lost or mishandled almost 3 million pieces of luggage in 2019, and nearly a third of those were on American Airlines flights.Fort Worth-based American fell to last in 2019 in the U.S. Department of Transportation’s rankings for mishandled and lost luggage, botching delivery on 8.48 of every 1,000 pieces of baggage. To compare, Southwest Airlines’ mishandled baggage rate was about half that.

The data includes numbers for American and its branded codeshare partners... link
Old Feb 22, 20, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
What's really sad about this is how poorly AA is performing when compared to the other legacy carriers and WN. You are almost twice as likely to have your bag mishandled on AA than you are on WN or DL and almost 1/3 more likely than on UA.

What kills me about this is the economic impact this has on AA's performance. One has to wonder how many FTEs it costs the airline just to get mishandled bags to the proper destination, let along the additional cost of jet fuel to move them around the globe and the courier fees associated with final delivery. The cost has to be in the tens of millions of dollars.

Another shining example of how AA continues to drag their wings on the ground.
JDiver and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Aside from lost luggage, I can't quite get my mind around why, at certain hubs (looking at you, PHL), I have never waited less than 30 minutes for bags to arrive on the belt. It is often longer, and often with multiple changes of carousel and with the flight disappearing from the arrival/carousel display screen altogether.

At other hubs, priority bags often come out last. There are some places, like LGA, where IME bags are handled efficiently, and where they actually set Priority bags aside. But the inconsistency of the baggage handling across the operation is absolutely maddening.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Alaska guarantees bags back in less than 20 minutes. And last night at LAX, they did it in 15.

Seems like AA guarantees bags back in more than 20 minutes. Never had it appear as quickly as on AS.
DMPHL, Antarius and cmd320 like this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
IAH is another cluster when it comes to bags.

I wonder if this is why they changed the separate ticket policy as opposed to the fee reason. And if so, how bad was it before
Old Feb 22, 20, 1:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
Alaska guarantees bags back in less than 20 minutes. And last night at LAX, they did it in 15.

Seems like AA guarantees bags back in more than 20 minutes. Never had it appear as quickly as on AS.
Delta does this too. At my home airport I usually get to the baggage claim just as the bags start coming out for Delta. On AA, when I check a bag it is always over 20 minutes which sucks when you are getting home after 12AM and just want to go to bed.
Old Feb 22, 20, 1:33 pm

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Everyone has to the be the best at something lol
Old Feb 22, 20, 2:26 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
That’s going to make it even more awkward when they raise their fees to match UA and B6.
Old Feb 22, 20, 2:29 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
What's really sad about this is how poorly AA is performing when compared to the other legacy carriers and WN. You are almost twice as likely to have your bag mishandled on AA than you are on WN or DL and almost 1/3 more likely than on UA.

What kills me about this is the economic impact this has on AA's performance. One has to wonder how many FTEs it costs the airline just to get mishandled bags to the proper destination, let along the additional cost of jet fuel to move them around the globe and the courier fees associated with final delivery. The cost has to be in the tens of millions of dollars.

Another shining example of how AA continues to drag their wings on the ground.
Plus all the baggage fees they have to refund because of this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Doesnít this roll up to R. Isom? How do these clowns still have jobs with such poor performance?
get0ffdanutzz likes this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 2:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by DMPHL View Post
Aside from lost luggage, I can't quite get my mind around why, at certain hubs (looking at you, PHL), I have never waited less than 30 minutes for bags to arrive on the belt. It is often longer, and often with multiple changes of carousel and with the flight disappearing from the arrival/carousel display screen altogether.

At other hubs, priority bags often come out last. There are some places, like LGA, where IME bags are handled efficiently, and where they actually set Priority bags aside. But the inconsistency of the baggage handling across the operation is absolutely maddening.
You must have never been to PHX. PHX by far is the worst (Obviously my opinion, but i try to avoid checking in any bags), but sometimes you just cannot avoid- and I don't think I have ever waited less than 30 minutes, ever, and that is with priority tags (which for some reason never get Priority treatment).
Old Feb 22, 20, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DMPHL View Post
I can't quite get my mind around why, at certain hubs (looking at you, PHL), I have never waited less than 30 minutes for bags to arrive on the belt
Because employees at PHL don't care. Having flown US since before they made PHL a hub, I can confirm that they never have.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This is one of the least surprising things Iíve heard. There has to be a reason why AA hasnít copied DLís 20í guarantee.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: