New AA transplant questions

Old Feb 21, 20, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

New AA transplant questions

I am Delta PM and have recently relocated to PBI area. As such, American has most of my routes covered without a single connection so am going to be starting to fly them next Wednesday.

Couple questions/observations for you all:
  • One of my trips coming up the beginning of next month is PBI-PHL-(overnight)-PWM and then returning through the same airports. I have never flown in or out of PHL being from the northeast I am used to Acela for that. As a recent transplant to AA, I am also very excited to start exercising my centurion lounge visits as they were almost never strategically positioned with Delta with the exception of SEA. I know PHL-PWM will depart out of another terminal entirely on AA - how long are the connection times between terminals at PHL? I have easily 2-3 hours to kill once arriving at PHL for PWM, and was hoping to be able to spend a few hours in the lounge with an easy transfer to my departing terminal to PWM.
  • Is it me, or are FC fares on AA just generally more expensive? The other thing I thought I saw yesterday while booking some travel is that I think AA might bundle in taxes and everything else into your display price while delta might not do that until you actually get to the checkout page? Or is all this just my imagination and rates are generally in line with other carriers (mainly Delta)?
  • In-flight meal service. WOW. All I can say is what a night and day difference in my meal choices from AA as opposed to DL.
Excited to see how the service and planes are next week!

Happy travels.
Old Feb 21, 20, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcnj View Post
Is it me, or are FC fares on AA just generally more expensive? The other thing I thought I saw yesterday while booking some travel is that I think AA might bundle in taxes and everything else into your display price while delta might not do that until you actually get to the checkout page? Or is all this just my imagination and rates are generally in line with other carriers (mainly Delta)?
It's your imagination. It's unlawful in the US for airlines to market anything except the "all in" airfare.
Old Feb 21, 20, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
One of my trips coming up the beginning of next month is PBI-PHL-(overnight)-PWM and then returning through the same airports. . . .
I know PHL-PWM will depart out of another terminal entirely on AA - how long are the connection times between terminals at PHL? I have easily 2-3 hours to kill once arriving at PHL for PWM, and was hoping to be able to spend a few hours in the lounge with an easy transfer to my departing terminal to PWM.

If you have an overnight connection at PHL, aren't you going to spend the night in a hotel? If so, you would just go to the terminal for your departing flight the following morning.

In any event, if the PWM flights operate out of Terminal F, there is frequent shuttle-bus service to and from the other AA terminals. Allow about 8 minutes for the ride between F and A/B, in either direction.
Old Feb 21, 20, 5:28 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
1. All of the terminals at PHL are connected airside, and you can walk all the way from Terminal A to Terminal F if you want. That said, there is an airside shuttle from A to F, if that works better for you. Iíd say the walk is about 15 min, but I tend to walk fast.

2. I donít fly Delta often, but I have heard anecdotal evidence that AA first class fares in general tend to be a little bit more expensive than DLís. But I imagine that fares vary greatly depending on route and time, so I would say that any generalization should be taken with a heavy dose of salt.

3. AA first class catering is nothing to get excited about, in my opinion. I recommend eating before you get on the plane if you can.
Old Feb 21, 20, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post

If you have an overnight connection at PHL, aren't you going to spend the night in a hotel? If so, you would just go to the terminal for your departing flight the following morning.

In any event, if the PWM flights operate out of Terminal F, there is frequent shuttle-bus service to and from the other AA terminals. Allow about 8 minutes for the ride between F and A/B, in either direction.
I am spending the night and following day in PHL for meetings. I have a 9pm flight the following day out of Terminal F with a 9pm departure. Plan was to goto the Cent lounge terminal on arrival to the airport and transfer to F for boarding. Was just curious as to the connection times. I've read some misleading things about time it takes to transfer at PHL.
Old Feb 21, 20, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I am spending the night and following day in PHL for meetings. I have a 9pm flight the following day out of Terminal F with a 9pm departure. Plan was to goto the Cent lounge terminal on arrival to the airport and transfer to F for boarding. Was just curious as to the connection times. I've read some misleading things about time it takes to transfer at PHL.
OK; that makes more sense.

Tonight's PHL-PWM flight is scheduled to depart from B7; the Centurion Lounge is near A14. Should not be more than a ten-minute walk between the two.
emcnj likes this.
Old Feb 21, 20, 5:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
For specific questions on PHL, please post to our dedicated thread on the airport here:
AA Guide: PHL / Philadelphia International Airport - MCT, Connection, MCT, etc.

There's some great info in the WikiPost at the top, and I'd recommend skimming through the last few pages.
emcnj likes this.
Old Feb 21, 20, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I'm slower than flyingeph12, it was 15 minutes for me to get from D to the Centurion Lounge last winter. F is further still.

Not sure about the other questions.
Old Feb 22, 20, 12:34 am

Programs: AA-EXP
  • In-flight meal service. WOW. All I can say is what a night and day difference in my meal choices from AA as opposed to DL.
Are you saying "WOW" because it is better or worse? If AA is better, i would hate to see what DL has to offer!
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Uzzar View Post
Are you saying "WOW" because it is better or worse? If AA is better, i would hate to see what DL has to offer!
Depending on stage length OP was typically flying with DL, the flights may have not had meals at all. DL threshold for meals in FC is 900 miles (with a few exceptions on certain business routes). AA's threshold looks to be 700 miles. Domestic FC meals are probably not a DL strong point. But then, their FC cabins tend to be somewhat larger than AA's. DL has 12/16/20 FC seats on A319/A320/A321 while AA is 8/12/16. You see similar differences in other fleets.
Uzzar likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 22, 20 at 2:33 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: