Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service mini- horse on American Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Service mini- horse on American Airlines

The horse's name was Flirty.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/9844...ervice-animal/

According the the article, AA policy allows small horses in the cabin. They can weigh up to 250 pounds.

Now I've seen everything.
moondog, GTITAN and jhalapin like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
It looks like this was a service animal and not an emotional support animal. The two roles are very different.

In terms of service animals (and not ESAs), miniature horses are some of the best. They are smarter than dogs and live much longer, meaning fewer animals to train and bond with over a person's lifetime. For someone who is mobility impaired, they can also lean on the horse which is a great benefit.

-J.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:09 am

Reading the subject line (before it was edited), I thought someone was using horse flies for emotional support. They take up very little space on a plane; on the other hand, they bite.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Sep 2, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I saw this on Yahoo yesterday, and wanted to post it on FT, but couldn't think of a good thread/home for it. I must say that I was quite impressed by the story.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Seems like there is no end in sight to this madness. If someone can't even set foot on a plane due to whatever condition they have, maybe they ought to get that treated first.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Seems like there is no end in sight to this madness. If someone can't even set foot on a plane due to whatever condition they have, maybe they ought to get that treated first.
Posts like this make emotional support horses sad.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I am assuming that the passenger and horse had the entire bulkhead row to themselves. If not, I wouldn’t want to be the guy in the middle seat in that scenario.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This was a Service Animal horse, a miniature horse. Service (mi I) Horses are legitimate, service trained and necessary for their owners to successfully perform activities are daily living. American Airlines (and the Air Carrier Access Act, which applies to airlines in the USA) follow current Americans with Disabilities Act guidelines regarding service miniature horses. The most common use for a service horse is as a guide animal for people who are blind or have visual impairments. A Service Dog May live ~12 years, a Service Horse may live ~35 years.

A service animal is defined as an animal that ‘is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability’. In 2011, the only animal recognized as a service animal was a dog. However recently the laws have changed to allow miniature horses to be trained to work and perform tasks for someone with a disability. These are new and separate provisions from the ADA which allows both service dogs and service miniature horses to be recognized as service animals and support a disabled person.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the new regulations state that places and policies that are already in place must now permit miniature horses, where reasonable, to be treated the same as dogs.

The miniature horses should be 24 inches to 34 inches in height and weight around 70 to 100 pounds. There are four regulations provided by the ADA which work as assessment factors to determine where a miniature horse can enter a facility:
  • Whether the miniature horse is housebroken
  • If the miniature horse is under control
  • If the facility can accommodate the miniature horse’s size, weight, and type
  • Whether the miniature horse will not compromise safety requirements for safe operation for the whole of the facility and other members of the public
As miniature horses are much bigger than dogs, they have to follow more regulations to ensure they are providing a safe service to their owner as well as the people around them. Link.

We will retitle this thread and close it. /Moderator
aztimm and GW McLintock like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 18, 2020 at 12:38 pm Reason: Open to copy
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Service horse on American Airlines

In first class no less.

I wonder if the horse was given a PDB?

https://pix11.com/news/national/mich...s-first-flight
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Yawn...is this really newsworthy?

"Froese put months of work preparing for Fred's trip..." She could have ridden a real horse to CA in that amount of time.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
Yawn...is this really newsworthy

It ain’t. At first glance, I thought the thread was about Service w#ore$, but alas it’s nothing so interesting
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
It ain’t. At first glance, I thought the thread was about Service w#ore$, but alas it’s nothing so interesting
I’ve flown with those too.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 4:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
dont they have something called a horse trailer you can use?
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I'll be the evil person to say it: This crap really needs to stop. Why are the masses not outraged by this enough to make a big deal out of it until this is addressed?
boss315, T8191, Antarius and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I believe this is an older but yet true story. If they put a horse in the F cabin, no matter how small I would refuse to fly on that flight and require AA to rebook me. So horses can't be "house trained" like dogs and if the horse decides to let go at 35,000 feet it's going to be awhile before the plane can land.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.