Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Building itinerary with Google Flights, but aa.com won't price it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:26 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

I built a routing using OW carriers on google flights and got decent pricing.

AA 8986 JFK-HEL Finnair (marketed as AA flight #)
AY 707 HEL-LED Finnair
S7 6105 LED-BCN S7 (Siberian) Airways
AA 741 MAD-PHL AA

AA.com 'does not compute' after I click select flight, I'm figuring because they aren't booking s7 flights online. Before I spend too much time on the phone only to be shot down, is this something that the agent would be able to piece together exactly as google flights did to get me the same price?

Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by PHL

AY 707 HEL-LED Finnair
AA 741 MAD-PHL AA

AA.com 'does not compute' after I click select flight, I'm figuring because they aren't booking s7 flights online. Before I spend too much time on the phone only to be shot down, is this something that the agent would be able to piece together exactly as google flights did to get me the same price?

An agent should be able to price it out, although no one here will be able to say for certain, not much you can do other than give AA a call and try.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looking at some of the cheaper fares they seem to have a restriction

IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN EUROPE
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AY
ANY AY FLIGHT OPERATED BY AY.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Haven't used it in awhile, but finding the fare on ITA Matrix and then using bookwithmatrix.com has worked for me in the past.
jridge, AAir_head and GTITAN like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:22 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Haven't used it in awhile, but finding the fare on ITA Matrix and then using bookwithmatrix.com has worked for me in the past.
Thanks for that tip. I tried seeing where that landed me and it put me with flightnetwork.com, with the full itinerary and such. I've read reviews that these guys are shady at times. I refreshed my BWM page and then it gave me Priceline as an option as well, same pricing.

My concern is that the 3rd party booking agent will downgrade my fare class if they later find a reduced fare. Right now my fare class I'm looking at is eligible for the BXP3 upgrade award on the MAD-PHL leg. I'd hate for them to later bump me down to a fare that's not eligible.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by PHL
Thanks for that tip. I tried seeing where that landed me and it put me with flightnetwork.com, with the full itinerary and such. I've read reviews that these guys are shady at times. I refreshed my BWM page and then it gave me Priceline as an option as well, same pricing.

My concern is that the 3rd party booking agent will downgrade my fare class if they later find a reduced fare. Right now my fare class I'm looking at is eligible for the BXP3 upgrade award on the MAD-PHL leg. I'd hate for them to later bump me down to a fare that's not eligible.
With Priceline you can cancel within 24 hours, and the refund tends to show up instantaneously or by the next day at the latest.
oopsz likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:06 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
With Priceline you can cancel within 24 hours, and the refund tends to show up instantaneously or by the next day at the latest.
I'm leaning towards PL, though I would likely not be in a scenario to cancel within 24 hours of booking once I finalize it. My comment about the reviews of flightnetwork.com saying they charge a fare for a given itinerary. If the coach fare drops, they internally reissue the ticket and pocket the fare difference. I'm guessing once a PL booking is locked in and confirmed, it's a done deal.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I would also say Priceline is very reputable. As long as you book with enough advance to be eligible for a 24 hr refund, you should be able to confirm all of the booking classes. It is good that Priceline is still plugged into taking Matrix generated itineraries. I have never seen Priceline touch an itinerary on its own after booking.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:44 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Try booking a multicity ticket on American's Germany site. It has an Amadeus gds backend instead of Sabre. Be aware the ticket will price in Euro. https://www.americanairlines.de/intl/de/index_en.jsp
SkyTeam777 and GTITAN like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PHL

AY 707 HEL-LED Finnair
AA 741 MAD-PHL AA

I was having the same problem last week with certain AY flights. I would even build the itinerary on AA's website but would error out on the last step. I reported this to the Twitter team with screenshots and they said they would forward it to the right department.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Recently tried to book JFK-MIA-RDU in D class. That *is* a legal routing per the fare rules. However, even though both flights had D class, married segment availability was J only. AA.com still showed it, however, as a through D fare, but would error out at the last step. Playing dumb, I called AA reservations. They could clearly not book it. I was transferred to web support, who, after an hour, could also no book it, even though they acknowledged that AA.com was showing it. So there seems to be an issue whereby AA.com doesn't check married segment availability using multi-city before trying to price it. Oddly, Matrix showed it as well, but Priceline could not price it either. Was a weird situation.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Recently tried to book JFK-MIA-RDU in D class. That *is* a legal routing per the fare rules. However, even though both flights had D class, married segment availability was J only. AA.com still showed it, however, as a through D fare, but would error out at the last step. Playing dumb, I called AA reservations. They could clearly not book it. I was transferred to web support, who, after an hour, could also no book it, even though they acknowledged that AA.com was showing it. So there seems to be an issue whereby AA.com doesn't check married segment availability using multi-city before trying to price it. Oddly, Matrix showed it as well, but Priceline could not price it either. Was a weird situation.
Indeed - to book JFK-RDU and have aa.com correctly search for availability based on married segment availability, you need to use a normal search and look for JFK-RDU and find the connection via MIA in the lis of options

When doing a multiple segment search, then each segment will be searched for based on segment availability - when then going to pay, it will find the issue when trying to pay

AA is not the only airline that works in this manner
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Indeed - to book JFK-RDU and have aa.com correctly search for availability based on married segment availability, you need to use a normal search and look for JFK-RDU and find the connection via MIA in the lis of options

When doing a multiple segment search, then each segment will be searched for based on segment availability - when then going to pay, it will find the issue when trying to pay

AA is not the only airline that works in this manner
This makes sense, but it is an error. Because the connection is under 4 hours, it should look at married segment availability, even if one searches using multi-city. The website should understand the rules and only display what's available. And FWIW, it gives a price. It gives the proper one way price. It just won't get to the last step, because of married segment availability.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Use ITA Matrix and then ITA-Matrix-Powertools ( ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK )... it will find a way to let you book via aa.com, though it may be the Amadeus version of AA. I've booked a few more complex itineraries in this manner.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dylanks
Use ITA Matrix and then ITA-Matrix-Powertools ( ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK )... it will find a way to let you book via aa.com, though it may be the Amadeus version of AA. I've booked a few more complex itineraries in this manner.
This didn't work. Although Matrix would display it, all booking engines would crash out on including AA.com, Priceline, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.