Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2020-21 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE SEE link for 2022 thread.

Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing (
Be aware of upgrade priority changes enacted 20 May 2017)

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Link to 2019 archived thread (We’ve refilled this thread for 2020-21 because of the relatively low volume of posts due to Covid-19’s effect on travel, and the usefulness of having relevant experiences in some volume for readers. — Moderator)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2020-21 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
What a surprise this AM to snag comp upgrade SFO-DFW (AA 1198). Had been monitoring the flight for last three days, F was sold out. No big deal for me as I had 24E. Love that seat more than a F seat due to it's legroom.

I made several attempt to OLCI but kept getting message that I need to check in at airport, which I did 1 hr. before boarding was to begin. At some point while in the lounge, I noticed I wasn't on the upgrade list. As I was heading out of the lounge at T20 mins before boarding I asked lounge agent placed me on the list as I was curious where I would be on the list of 21 people. Turns out I was #1 and there was 1 F passenger that hadn't checked in.

Long story short, at the gate I notice a guy flipping out that he was bumped down on the upgrade list and the agent should have cleared upgrades in advance of boarding. It was hard not to notice what was going on in fact. Nonetheless, I boarded with group 2 and was comfortable in my seat. Agent comes to me and hands me new seat in F right as the announcements were being made that boarding was complete. I'm so certain this guy was stewing indeed that he missed out on the upgrade and was so close.
Something similar happened to an colleague of mine this week. He was flying LHR-ORD in W on the afternoon flight. He was done early and was able to switch to the early flight at the airport about an hour or so before boarding (I told him to go to the airport early and ask as the morning flight was W7 and afternoon was W0 and hopefully someone with a brain would see the situation and allow it - worst case he spends a few hours in the AC).

Once he switched, I noticed he was no longer on the upgrade list. I called him and told him to go back to the agent right away and get added to the upgrade list as it was now T-50 and they would process soon. He did and he popped right up to 1. Flight was C0 J1. As he was heading to gate, his upgrade was processed. He told me there was a guy screaming at the GA that he was #1 and wanted to know why he got bumped and why the upgrade wasn’t processed sooner. My colleague just walked past and boarded. Thankfully he already had his new BP so nobody was the wiser that he was the one who took the last seat. Win some, lose some. We’ve all probably been on both sides of that.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA
Anyone one got any routes from the US to Europe or Asia that have SWU availability?... have SWU left from 2019... wanting to get away for vacation with the lady anytime after august (into next year)... hate to burn them... just need routes that will clear... pref main cabin to business
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I was kind of the reverse a few weeks ago, when the upgrade list on the app opened at T-4 I was #2 , but at T-1 I had moved up to #1 . I don't know if the pax ahead of me got upgraded but everything I was seeing told me that J was full (I don't have EF, but there were no tickets for sale). I walked down to the gate and asked if I had a shot and they told me there was one J seat still open. I got 1A, which makes me guess wildly that they were holding it for a FAM. (Wasn't crew rest as it was a domestic redeye LAS-PHL.)
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mulakehound
EXP Flying DFW-MAD on 11th Feb., hoping for an SWU. Right now, plane is showing C0 J7 R7 D7 I7 U0, and both EF and AA website show around 14 open BClass seats. Was hoping to clear the SWU by tonight as I have two left over from 2019. Not sure why they won't release any C seats on the 11th flight with so many showing open - maybe it's just too early?

Ironically, I apparently got an upgrade on the return (19th Feb) this morning, even though EF shows C0 J7 R7 D7 I3 U0. I didn't get a notification but was given the opportunity to select a BClass seat this morning. The SWU for my second leg (DFW-SGF) hasn't cleared yet even though EF is showing C7.

Any insight on that?
Nothing unusual, even with a wide open business cabin AA typically won't release upgrade space until T-36 on a route like DFW-MAD.

On your return, you were just waitlisted for the MAD-DFW segment, so you need to call AA and they can apply the SWU to the DFW-SGF segment as well now that MAD-DFW has cleared.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: AAdantage EXP
All,

Can complimentary 500 mile upgrades be confirmed the same way as a SWU? If I see C space available for upcoming domestic travel can I confirm or does that only apply to SWUs?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jpb5101
All,

Can complimentary 500 mile upgrades be confirmed the same way as a SWU? If I see C space available for upcoming domestic travel can I confirm or does that only apply to SWUs?
No, C space is only for SWU and miles/copay upgrades.

500-mi sticker upgrades clear into R, which is not visible at EF. Note, there is also a revenue R bucket, which is visible at EF, but there is zero correlation between these, i.e. seeing R revenue availability has no bearing on if there is R upgrade space.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: AAdantage EXP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, C space is only for SWU and miles/copay upgrades.

500-mi sticker upgrades clear into R, which is not visible at EF. Note, there is also a revenue R bucket, which is visible at EF, but there is zero correlation between these, i.e. seeing R revenue availability has no bearing on if there is R upgrade space.
Thank you very much for your help!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:16 am

Upgrade notification question. Flying 788 tomorrow to South America showing J2. As EP with $20K spend, I’m hopeful miles upgrade clears. I realize it will likely be a last minute thing.

Do they send email / text notification if upgrade clears? Do you have to sit at gate for agent to call your name if it clears at last minute? Prefer to hang in lounge and not at gate but don’t want to get passed over.

Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jrb CO
Upgrade notification question. Flying 788 tomorrow to South America showing J2. As EP with $20K spend, I’m hopeful miles upgrade clears. I realize it will likely be a last minute thing.

Do they send email / text notification if upgrade clears? Do you have to sit at gate for agent to call your name if it clears at last minute? Prefer to hang in lounge and not at gate but don’t want to get passed over.

Thanks.
You will not get an email or text notification of an upgrade processed by an airport agent. If you have the app open you may get a notification of a seat change. You can also set up an ExpertFlyer seat alert on your existing seat. When the upgrade is processed you may get an email that your seat is now vacant, assuming EF checks the seat map after the upgrade and sends the alert before the GA assigns someone else to your seat. And of course you can periodically check the upgrade list on the app.

You do not need to "be present to win." If you are next on the list for an available seat the agent will process the upgrade whether you are at the gate or not. If you are in the lounge and you see you're upgraded go to the agent there and get a new printed BP.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Stripe
You will not get an email or text notification of an upgrade processed by an airport agent. If you have the app open you may get a notification of a seat change. You can also set up an ExpertFlyer seat alert on your existing seat. When the upgrade is processed you may get an email that your seat is now vacant, assuming EF checks the seat map after the upgrade and sends the alert before the GA assigns someone else to your seat. And of course you can periodically check the upgrade list on the app.

You do not need to "be present to win." If you are next on the list for an available seat the agent will process the upgrade whether you are at the gate or not. If you are in the lounge and you see you're upgraded go to the agent there and get a new printed BP.
Thanks! Had never thought of EF alert on my seat.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I’m here in Bogota and just remembered that I would have to do SWU or mileage + copay to get into Biz....what a waste for such a short flight. Then I noticed that AA has a good amount of Biz Web Specials at decent mileage rates.

Booked that instead and I’m confirmed in premium cabins all the way to NYC without having to worry about my UPG clearing on these ridiculous A319s AA flies out of here.

Does anyone know why they only operate such small equipment to such a major South American capitol?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Cleared my first upgrade in months on DFW-MSO.

I guess I should stop flying DFW-BOS/LGA/SEA/Etc
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: Aadvantage, MileagePlus, Hawaiian Miles, Skymiles
Originally Posted by BOSishome
Cleared my first upgrade in months on DFW-MSO.

I guess I should stop flying DFW-BOS/LGA/SEA/Etc
​​​​​​
WAHOO! Don't lose hope! just got cleared on BOS -DFW 48 hours before departure. So it's possible but certainly not easy
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
This week's flights:

DEN-ORD: Tuesday, noon-ish, 738, cleared at 48hours
ORD-DCA: Tuesday, late afternoon departure, A319, cleared at 100 hours (! on a 319)

LGA-CLT: Friday, morning, A319, did not clear (as expected)
CLT-DEN: Friday, noon-ish, A321, cleared at gate
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Bad start to the year...

AUS-JFK, Friday morning, fail (#1 on list)
JFK-AUS, Sunday evening, fail (#6 on list)
AUS-DFW, Saturday morning, fail (#4 on list, agent said 7 EXPs on list)
DFW-ORD, Saturday morning, cleared T-100
ORD-AUS, Monday evening, cleared T-100

EXP isn't what it was (as if we needed more evidence).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.