Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2020-21 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE SEE link for 2022 thread.

Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing (
Be aware of upgrade priority changes enacted 20 May 2017)

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Link to 2019 archived thread (We’ve refilled this thread for 2020-21 because of the relatively low volume of posts due to Covid-19’s effect on travel, and the usefulness of having relevant experiences in some volume for readers. — Moderator)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2020-21 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
While on my last LGA-BOS trip in August the plane was half empty and my upgrade cleared at T-24 (the first time I recall getting an upgrade in many years!), my current BOS-LGA round trip flights are booked solid. I was in the double digits on the upgrade list coming out of BOS Wednesday evening, and I'm currently in the double digits on the list for my flight back this evening.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by enviroian
Do people really buy F seats on a CR7??
Of course they do. What's so wonderful about Y on a CR7 that one would rather be there as opposed to F???

In fact, there's even more of an incentive to buy first early on the CR7 than on other aircraft: only 3 decent seats in F.
hbtr and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 5:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum / Hilton Diamond / MGM Gold
My first upgrade since being ExPlat did not clear yesterday on my final leg from DFW to SJD.
I did notice a few things while checking the status.
When the first leg cleared about 27 hours ahead of departure. I checked the available seats on the flight for final leg out of DFW. There were five. I thought that this would also clear.
I never checked in online. I had three bags to check so I waited.
I checked the available seats later and all five were assigned. Bummer. At some point, I checked the waitlist and I was number 1. Then I checked again to see if anything changed and I was like 17th. WTH
after I officially checked in. I was number one again on the standby list.
I’m not sure what happened or if I did something incorrectly or if the system was manipulated. Anyway, the moral of the story. I didn’t get my first upgrade yesterday out of DFW. I think I should avoid DFW layovers.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by ranran
My first upgrade since being ExPlat did not clear yesterday on my final leg from DFW to SJD... I checked the available seats on the flight for final leg out of DFW. There were five. I thought that this would also clear...
If this is the first upgrade you haven't cleared as an EXP, I'd say you're doing pretty well.

When you say you checked the "available seats" were you looking at the flight's seatmap or the actual fare inventory? There's a huge difference between the two. If you're just checking the seatmap and you see 5 empty seats all that means is there are unassigned seats - the premium cabin could already be sold out despite the seatmap showing empty seats.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
upgraded today for Friday night's dfw-jax. Woo Who! Very rare.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
lol my flights in November just hit J0 from J2/J1. My 2nd half of October flights all J0 for a while.

AA needs a bigger plane out of YYC. This is ridiculous... forget free upgrades, I can't even BUY a J seat a month out!!! Thanks for the swap to the smaller 8J A319 starting next month... Excellent timing . Considering this route is all paid J and Y is also completely full, I hope they consider it. At least a 320. I wish 321 but I'm dreaming.
thunderdeacon and raylee123 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
Flights coming up this evening.

OKC-DFW A320
Right now I am number 2 on the list out of 10 fighting for the last seat left. Unless something lucky goes my way, it looks like I'm going to be the first loser on this short flight.

DFW-JAN E175
Cleared T-24
Plat with $6953 in EQD so far this year. I will hit PPro when these legs post.
SFflyer20 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
This week's flights:

DEN-ORD: 7am on a Sunday, 738, did not clear
ORD-DCA: late morning on Sunday, 783, cleared at 72hours ish
DCA-DFW: 7am on a Thursday, 738 did not clear (but my exit row aisle seat with an empty middle was probably a more comfortable ride than the Oasis F anyway)
DFW-DEN: late morning on a Thursday, 20F A321, cleared at gate (and in fact I was #4 out of the four that cleared the list)

Running right around 50% in my AA flights this year, which is worse than pre-COVID, but considering I have less than $6k EQD, I'll take it.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:40 am

Can a waitlist mileage upgrade happen with 0 C fare codes available?

I need to get to BOS from the west coast on Friday November 19th.

However, checking expert flyer for seats in the C bucket will get me a “not confirmable at this time” answer when I call AA.

My question is if I book the LAX to BOS flight (32B aircraft), can my waitlisted upgrade clear even though it is showing 0 seats in the C bucket? (I am using miles to upgrade).

And I understand it might be difficult for this upgrade on this aircraft to clear, I’m willing to fly economy if I have to. Can anyone see any confirmable space on this date from any west coast airport?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Jaxfan11
I need to get to BOS from the west coast on Friday November 19th.

However, checking expert flyer for seats in the C bucket will get me a “not confirmable at this time” answer when I call AA.

My question is if I book the LAX to BOS flight (32B aircraft), can my waitlisted upgrade clear even though it is showing 0 seats in the C bucket? (I am using miles to upgrade).

And I understand it might be difficult for this upgrade on this aircraft to clear, I’m willing to fly economy if I have to. Can anyone see any confirmable space on this date from any west coast airport?
I think you're misunderstanding the process a little, or just getting things mixed up.

If the flight you want is C0 then there's no upgrade space currently available however you can still get on the waitlist for the upgrade. Your upgrade isn't going to clear though if the flight remains C0 (if thats what you're asking). If/when AA decides to release upgrade space the flight would go to C1 or C2 etc., and you would clear at that point (if you were at the top of the waitlist).

Going to BOS the only nonstop from the west coast (that I'm aware of) is LAX-BOS, and I don't see any C space on any of the flights on 11/19 (not surprising).

If you're willing to connect then there could be countless other options, but you'll need to spend some time on EF searching for space (make sure you search segment by segment, SFO-ORD + ORD-BOS, not SFO-BOS, for example).
Old Oct 27, 2021, 5:06 am

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I have a decent chance at an upgrade later this week. As a Gold, I have only been upgraded a few times and it has always been before arriving at the airport. If I'm not upgraded before I get to the airport and it's still looking like a possibility, do I need to be waiting by the gate area, or will my boarding pass update automatically on the app once the upgrade is processed?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I have a decent chance at an upgrade later this week. As a Gold, I have only been upgraded a few times and it has always been before arriving at the airport. If I'm not upgraded before I get to the airport and it's still looking like a possibility, do I need to be waiting by the gate area, or will my boarding pass update automatically on the app once the upgrade is processed?
If your upgrade clears then your boarding pass in the app will update at the same time (you'll get a seat change notification as well).
lowfareair likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If your upgrade clears then your boarding pass in the app will update at the same time (you'll get a seat change notification as well).
Personally I've found that if you get upgraded at the gate but before boarding you get the notification and your mobile BP updates. But if upgraded onboard (presumably due to a no show) while you will likely see that you now have a checkmark next to your name but no notification and your mobile BP doesn't update. At that point you're at the mercy of the GA coming onboard and getting you or showing the upgrade list to the FA with your name checked and hoping the FA allows you to take the F seat or gets the GA involved.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Personally I've found that if you get upgraded at the gate but before boarding you get the notification and your mobile BP updates. But if upgraded onboard (presumably due to a no show) while you will likely see that you now have a checkmark next to your name but no notification and your mobile BP doesn't update. At that point you're at the mercy of the GA coming onboard and getting you or showing the upgrade list to the FA with your name checked and hoping the FA allows you to take the F seat or gets the GA involved.
The one time I was upgraded after boarding the app notified me immediately, before GA came on board but GA came very quickly so I didn’t see if BP updated in app as well, though I would imagine if the app knew I was upgraded it would have a new BP for me. YMMV.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Last time I was upgraded after boarding I got a notification via the app along with an updated boarding pass in Apple Wallet, as did the two people sitting either side of me. The time before that, I boarded, found my seat in Y, and as I sat down realised I had a missed call. Turned out it was the GA trying to ring me to tell me I'd been upgraded. As I was trying to work out who the number was, she came on board and let me know.
onanisland likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.