Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-NRT upgrading to 773 / 77W (Feb 2020 at this time)

Old Feb 14, 20, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, AA EP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond

JonNYC reported that American was upgauging AA175 and back (DFW-NRT-DFW) to a 773, with the F seats sold as J, for the rest of Feb. When I check expertflyer, I don't see this reflected (neither in aircraft type nor seatmap), at least for the 3 days before and after 02/22 from NRT to DFW. Does anyone know if there's any other way to tell if these flights have been upgauged? I'm deciding whether to fly JL back to the US around this date, but if AA is flying 773 on this route I'll just do AA.

Last edited by SEA737; Feb 14, 20 at 9:23 pm
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:00 pm
Suspended

At this point, the latest version of AA60 to show on EF (seatmap-- not aircraft type listing) 77W is 2/16.
Sources indicated that that will roll forward throughout Feb (so check the next few days to see if/when it changes) but It most definitely seems to be in a state of flux, and therefore quite possibly not worth trying to plan around unless it updates over the weekend.
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Checking, yes, I do expect the 77W to continue at least through the end of Feb.
JDiver and SEA737 like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, AA EP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
At this point, the latest version of AA60 to show on EF (seatmap-- not aircraft type listing) 77W is 2/16.
Sources indicated that that will roll forward throughout Feb (so check the next few days to see if/when it changes) but It most definitely seems to be in a state of flux, and therefore quite possibly not worth trying to plan around unless it updates over the weekend.
Checking, yes, I do expect the 77W to continue at least through the end of Feb.
Thanks for the update!
Old Feb 15, 20, 9:24 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by SEA737 View Post
Thanks for the update!
How about March? Given hkg cancellation, there should be 4 or more extra 77w free up?
Old Feb 15, 20, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
How about March? Given hkg cancellation, there should be 4 or more extra 77w free up?
I wonder if AA could use the chance to perform some maintenance checks, B or even C checks if the HKG flight suspension window works out? Probably requires some advance logistics, but it could be good use of potential "idle" time.
Old Feb 15, 20, 11:03 am
Suspended

At this time there are unmistakable internal signs (that I won't go into here, but they are unambiguous) that this particular flight will continue to be operated by 77W well into March.

As far as others, seems quite possible.
pbd456 and teemuflyer like this.
Old Feb 15, 20, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA: CK
Who gets the F seats? Anyone who grabs them or reserved for elites?
robertablake likes this.
Old Feb 15, 20, 5:21 pm

I have reserved 1l on 772 and hope I won't get kicked out
Old Feb 15, 20, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
Who gets the F seats? Anyone who grabs them or reserved for elites?
As far as I know, first come, first choice-- but I actually don't know much about it. Would make some sense, IMHO, to hold them for full-fare or elite etc., they've done similar in the past, but didn't at first blush appear that was in effect here.

I have reserved 1l on 772 and hope I won't get kicked out
Can't see any reason ya would.
Old Feb 15, 20, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA CK (as of 4/19), Million miler (1.93m)
At this time there are unmistakable internal signs (that I won't go into here, but they are unambiguous) that this particular flight will continue to be operated by 77W well into March.

As far as others, seems quite possible.
Is this upgauge presently only for AA175 to NRT and AA60 on the return to DFW? Would be nice if they did AA61 / AA 176 as well. My wife is flying back from NRT on 176 this coming week, I in 3 weeks.
Old Feb 15, 20, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by robertablake View Post
Is this upgauge presently only for AA175 to NRT and AA60 on the return to DFW? Would be nice if they did AA61 / AA 176 as well. My wife is flying back from NRT on 176 this coming week, I in 3 weeks.
My -assumption- is that they are doing it based on needed premium capacity, and 2 77Ws a day might be overkill (60J (sold like this) vs. 37J.) It's more expensive to operate the 77W as well.
Old Feb 15, 20, 6:16 pm

As far as I know, first come, first choice-- but I actually don't know much about it. Would make some sense, IMHO, to hold them for full-fare or elite etc., they've done similar in the past, but didn't at first blush appear that was in effect here.

Can't see any reason ya would.
for some reason, 77w, there is 1J instead of 1L. Wonder why they label the seat this way. I try to swap to 1a or 2a but both are taken.
Old Feb 15, 20, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA CK (as of 4/19), Million miler (1.93m)
My -assumption- is that they are doing it based on needed premium capacity, and 2 77Ws a day might be overkill (60J (sold like this) vs. 37J.) It's more expensive to operate the 77W as well.
Yep, that would certainly be a lot of J's seats if both flights to/from NRT were upgauged.

We will be going back to NRT in later March on 175, before the change to HND, so we'll see what happens with that flight. Then after that, all our scheduled flights on 175/176 are on a 773 in and out of HND, which we are looking forward to.
Old Feb 21, 20, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/2MM, AS 75k, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I have been watching these flights for the last week or two, as I am booked on it in a few days. The prediction of the daily 175/60 swap from a 772 to 77W is perfect, but it seems to become "official" about one day in advance. I look at the aircraft assignment in flightradar24, and that shows a 77W maybe a day or two before the scheduled departure, but ExpertFlyer may continue to show a 772 (and sometimes shows the 772 seat map).

I am just curious... what is the reason that AA is treating this as a daily aircraft substitution? It has to be causing extra work for the folks that have to do re-assignment of seats (whenever that happens). Is there some regulatory or legal reason that it is to their advantage to keep the flight recorded as a 772 and then do last-minute swaps?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: