Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can I enjoy my AA status if flight is operated by non-oneworld airline?

Old Feb 13, 20, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG/Marriott PLT

Looking at an upcoming trip. LAX-LHR-BAH. First leg is AA metal, second leg is Gulf metal.
If I book AA, with AA code share on second leg, it'll cost $3k.
However if I book with GF, with GF code share on first leg, the ticket is only $1k.

Question is I'm currently AA EXP, can I still enjoy all the benefits if I book with GF as a GF ticket? Like going to one world lounge etc.
Old Feb 13, 20, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No

OW benefits apply on flights both marketed by and operated by a OneWorld Carrier
JDiver and Often1 like this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP
Doesn't look like you would even earn any miles if you fly the Gulf Air codeshare.

My first rule of flying is to almost always avoid codeshares. About the only exception is when I fly an AA marketed (BA operated) flight to earn more EQDs.
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Flying an American Airlines marketed (codeshare) flight operated by any airline in the world will earn EQ as if flying on AA.

Flying a non-oneworld airline operated flight as an AA marketed flight will generally not afford any oneworld status benefits.

Flying a Gulf Air marketed flight, even if operated by AA, will earn nothing on AA.

A $1,000 vs $3,000 cost difference for the same flights... some would forgo the EQ.
Old Feb 13, 20, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greasy View Post
Looking at an upcoming trip. LAX-LHR-BAH. First leg is AA metal, second leg is Gulf metal.
If I book AA, with AA code share on second leg, it'll cost $3k.
However if I book with GF, with GF code share on first leg, the ticket is only $1k.

Question is I'm currently AA EXP, can I still enjoy all the benefits if I book with GF as a GF ticket? Like going to one world lounge etc.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
No

OW benefits apply on flights both marketed by and operated by a OneWorld Carrier
What class of travel?
What AA EXP benefits would you miss out on? Just lounge?
$2,000 will buy some good benefits.
Or spend the money on a higher class or another airline
AA partners BA, EY & CX fly into BAH

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahrai...tional_Airport
Great Circle Mapper
arollins likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Flying an American Airlines marketed (codeshare) flight operated by any airline in the world will earn EQ as if flying on AA.

Flying a non-oneworld airline operated flight as an AA marketed flight will generally not afford any oneworld status benefits.
This is a good point. I managed to talk my way into the LAX FL recently while flying an AA J codeshare operated by Air Tahiti Nui LAX-PPT. QF F lounge as EP/OWE was clearly out of the question after that lol.

Perhaps even more shocking was that on the return PPT-LAX, also an AA codeshare, I was denied access to the PPT Air Tahiti Nui business class lounge despite being in J. They said the AA codeshare was the problem and that “AA is too cheap to pay for club access.”

I ultimately used priority pass to get in, but yes, all of this illustrates that AA benefits mean very little once you start talking about non-OW airlines.
Old Feb 13, 20, 9:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
This is a good point. I managed to talk my way into the LAX FL recently while flying an AA J codeshare operated by Air Tahiti Nui LAX-PPT. QF F lounge as EP/OWE was clearly out of the question after that lol.

Perhaps even more shocking was that on the return PPT-LAX, also an AA codeshare, I was denied access to the PPT Air Tahiti Nui business class lounge despite being in J. They said the AA codeshare was the problem and that “AA is too cheap to pay for club access.”

I ultimately used priority pass to get in, but yes, all of this illustrates that AA benefits mean very little once you start talking about non-OW airlines.
You we’re lucky accessing the FL, as you say.

TN really sucks at how they handle codeshares. No upgrades, often denial of decent seats and no lounge access even if flying Poerava Business — and TN staff will lie to you, telling you you’ll not be allowed into the PPT lounge even if you have Priority Pass. That’s rubbish, of course, as that lounge is fully a PP accessible lounge. Flying AA codeshares on TN, there’s an absence of the spirit of maeva.
metallo and GTITAN like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
You we’re lucky accessing the FL, as you say.

TN really sucks at how they handle codeshares. No upgrades, often denial of decent seats and no lounge access even if flying Poerava Business — and TN staff will lie to you, telling you you’ll not be allowed into the PPT lounge even if you have Priority Pass. That’s rubbish, of course, as that lounge is fully a PP accessible lounge. Flying AA codeshares on TN, there’s an absence of the spirit of maeva.
Ugh. That doesn't sound promising. Should I anticipate even more dismal treatment on my AA J Award flight this summer?
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:34 pm

Also check some OTAs and/or AA India to see if it spits out a lower AA fare. I wouldn't just rely on aa.com
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes View Post
Ugh. That doesn't sound promising. Should I anticipate even more dismal treatment on my AA J Award flight this summer?
Award flights book into the TN prime flight numbers so you won't have a problem.

The issue being discussed above is when you're on an AA codeshare paid flight, i.e. AA 9876 operated by Air Tahiti Nui.
JDiver and metallo like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:42 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Is there any perk of status that is worth $2,000?
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
Is there any perk of status that is worth $2,000?
Answer: No.
Nor is the value of any AA ff miles earned
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Award flights book into the TN prime flight numbers so you won't have a problem.

The issue being discussed above is when you're on an AA codeshare paid flight, i.e. AA 9876 operated by Air Tahiti Nui.
Correct... you actually get better benefits booking with miles through AA than with a paid AA codeshare ticket, because AA books the TN segment with a TN flight number.

At 80k miles each way for MilesAAver J, I suppose it’s a somewhat costly redemption for that benefit, but it’s one of those cases, which can happen from time to time, where a mileage ticket is actually better than a paid ticket.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: