Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

A Passenger Reclined her Seat, then her Seat Became a Punching Bag

Old Feb 13, 20, 3:17 pm
formerly AtomicLush
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Gold and free agent (DH = AA EXP)

Just saw this on the very reputable TMZ today in my Google News feed.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/02/13/ameri...attendant-fbi/

Basically a passenger named Wendi Williams reclined her seat on an AA flight. The guy behind her proceeds to punch the seat like a punching bag. She tells the FA. And the FA gives the guy alcohol. The video says it all.

I personally hate it when someone reclines into me and I generally don't recline unless I'm trying to nap. However, AA gave the seats a recline function, so who is this guy to say she can't?

Comments on the TMZ site are pretty misogynistic, so hoping this doesn't turn into Omni here.
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:10 pm

Guy is in the wrong obviously. She paid for a seat that reclines. While he can REQUEST that she doesn't recline, he can't force her not to. He did not pay to make contact constantly with the back of her seat. Don't like people reclining on you? There are seats on the plane that prevent that from happening .. buy one of those. If they aren't available, take a different flight. If you HAVE to take this flight, be an adult and realize you don't always get your way.
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
So did she call the FBI as threatened?
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:18 pm

He's totally in the wrong. I hate when people recline into me, and I NEVER recline, but that's a pax's right. That said, she's 100% Karen. Even has Karen't haircut.
alexj7, nancypants, MarkOK and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
He's totally in the wrong. I hate when people recline into me, and I NEVER recline, but that's a pax's right. That said, she's 100% Karen. Even has Karen't haircut.
And even her name is a knock off "Karen" .. Wendi (with an i) Williams lol
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Admirals Club (via CC)
I donít think he would have exhibited the same behavior to another man his size or larger.
Old Feb 13, 20, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Now being reported by WaPo. If this dude did it to me, I'd ensure the FBI / airport police were waiting upon arrival.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...it-whos-wrong/
Bcla likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by dstan View Post
So did she call the FBI as threatened?
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
That appears to be the case but with her threat to call the FBI, I wonder if there was a series of unrecorded aggressive moves by Wendi Williams. Something is not right.
clbish likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
I think the FBI call is the fact that aircraft in the air involve federal jurisdiction?
Old Feb 13, 20, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Wow, after watching that video, all I can say is, that dudeís a real pr$*k. I canít wait for someone to recognize him and call him out by name.
Old Feb 13, 20, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
This has made the Google News main list. That man is completely in the wrong and so is the AA Eagle FA if that was her response.
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:52 pm
HGH

I saw her complaint and the video on Twitter earlier this week. She has quite a following now, coming down on both sides of the argument.
Old Feb 13, 20, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A318neo View Post
That appears to be the case but with her threat to call the FBI, I wonder if there was a series of unrecorded aggressive moves by Wendi Williams. Something is not right.
What "series of unrecorded aggressive moves" could ever justify him repeatedly punching the back of her seat? If he was being put upon in other ways than the seat recline, he should have contacted a flight attendant, not hammered the back of her seat. Also, I see no justification at all for wondering that.

He basically assaulted her.
TravelLawyer and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 8:48 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), SIA, Turkish Elite, Korean, Qantas
Originally Posted by onanisland View Post
I donít think he would have exhibited the same behavior to another man his size or larger.
Firstly you dont know the preceding interactions. Secondly there are many people who wouldnt care about it being a man of the same size or larger. What are you going to do, cause an incident that will have both of you arrested at the destination or the airport they land in because of an emergency to have police arrest fighting passengers and you end up in jail somewhere other than your destination and probably banned from flying for a while.
Old Feb 13, 20, 8:51 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), SIA, Turkish Elite, Korean, Qantas
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Now being reported by WaPo. If this dude did it to me, I'd ensure the FBI / airport police were waiting upon arrival.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...it-whos-wrong/
What is the crime? It didnt seem anymore impactful than a kid kicking the back of a seat. Would you call the FBI for that?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: