Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

A Passenger Reclined her Seat, then her Seat Became a Punching Bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Passenger Reclined her Seat, then her Seat Became a Punching Bag

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: AA 3MM; HH Gold
Antarius is exactly correct. Every passenger has an overhead light. If I want to use the light to read during an evening flight, but the passenger next to me wants to sleep and my overhead light bothers him, I am still entitled to use the overhead light. And the FA should honor that right, even though it inconveniences the passenger next to me. That is how the plane was designed to be used.

Common courtesy suggests that in cramped quarters, everyone should be respectful of others and undertake to not violate the social mores of coach class travel. But if the passenger in front of me reclines their seat to the maximum extent possible, and does so even after a polite request otherwise, that is their right - infuriating as it may be.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Stickboy46
Guy is in the wrong obviously. She paid for a seat that reclines. While he can REQUEST that she doesn't recline, he can't force her not to. He did not pay to make contact constantly with the back of her seat. Don't like people reclining on you? There are seats on the plane that prevent that from happening .. buy one of those. If they aren't available, take a different flight. If you HAVE to take this flight, be an adult and realize you don't always get your way.
Great reply! The guy punching was obviously at fault and you explained why exactly. Other stories are covering this like it is "both sides are equal" type situation. It isn't. The FA's attitude about this was atrocious and it quickly devolved into a blame the victim scenario.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Now she’s threatening defamation lawsuit against AA. Holy Karen!
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
What "series of unrecorded aggressive moves" could ever justify him repeatedly punching the back of her seat? If he was being put upon in other ways than the seat recline, he should have contacted a flight attendant, not hammered the back of her seat. Also, I see no justification at all for wondering that.

He basically assaulted her.
I am uncomfortable with that idea of assault because then I have been assaulted by an unruly kid aided by the mother who did nothing to minimize it.
geminidreams likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by geminidreams
The problem with social media is that what you have are 2 adults behaving like adolescents and a trivial encounter getting way too much attention. You do not know what she did before filming either. So all you are doing is taking the word of someone posting a grievance on twitter. If it was serious she could have called for charges to be laid but did not. Is that because she contributed to the altercation? Do you know she didnt slam the seat back in a manner that caused an issue to him? Was his punching the seat just a frustrated push on the back of the seat to get a bit moor room? who knows and who really cares. Its a 2 hr flight, Im sure either one could have compromised and not be inconvenienced but much better to have a viral story on twitter about perceived injustices.
I believe that a likely scenario is that the woman had harsh words for the man followed by retaliatory seat banging.

On the other hand, I once asked politely a woman to raise the window shade at least half way during the 2-3 minutes before landing for safety reasons and she almost attacked me like Pearl Harbor. She demanded that she had the sole right to decide and that I was picking on her because she was Black. ??!! I had to seek refuge with a flight attendant because I was afraid she's punch me. The flight attendant gave me refuge for a few minutes in hopes that the woman would calm down.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A318neo
I believe that a likely scenario is that the woman had harsh words for the man followed by retaliatory seat banging.

On the other hand, I once asked politely a woman to raise the window shade at least half way during the 2-3 minutes before landing for safety reasons and she almost attacked me like Pearl Harbor. She demanded that she had the sole right to decide and that I was picking on her because she was Black. ??!! I had to seek refuge with a flight attendant because I was afraid she's punch me. The flight attendant gave me refuge for a few minutes in hopes that the woman would calm down.
Ain't flying in America a joy these days? For that matter, it's about the same as going to the grocery store or the gas station, or anywhere there's other Americans. All good unless you attempt any interaction whatsoever.
Whole damn country has been in a really bad mood for 4 years.
I thank goodness I have a passport and use it regularly.
jspira likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:35 pm

news headlines: punching, pummeling, attacking, etc - ridiculous! what i see in the video is someone shaking the seat. they are both acting like little children. if i were AA, i'd just ban them both. if i were them, i'd move on with life, wendi is just making it worse for herself at this point.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:59 pm

geminidreams are you kidding me. Comparing an adult male punching a female in the back at least several times is a far cry from a five year old.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmj9905
geminidreams are you kidding me. Comparing an adult male punching a female in the back at least several times is a far cry from a five year old.
Stop saying punching. There was no punching.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 2:37 pm

no person was punched
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by geminidreams
If the force of the kick or punch is the same then how can you not equate them? What was in the video was not a punch it was annoying tapping. Next you will say someone knocking on your front door is a threat of assault!
You are either not a "reasonable person" or don't know what a "reasonable person" is. I will not say someone knocking on your front door is a threat of violence, guess you're wrong there. Unless if they were yelling "I would like to kill you, but don't worry, this isn't considered assault, ask geminidreams."
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:49 pm

I'm pretty certain that the person sitting next to Wendy was also affected by the constant movement of the seat. Shared armrests? The FA should have offered Wendy the free drinks rather then the a hole behind her.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TEBraniff
I'm pretty certain that the person sitting next to Wendy was also affected by the constant movement of the seat. Shared armrests? The FA should have offered Wendy the free drinks rather then the a hole behind her.
I hope she sees this, bro.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
You just read the headline and did not watch the video. What is showed was a guy tapping the back of the headrest. If something happened before the video then that is a different matter but is subject to conjecture. What he was doing is certainly about the same impact of a 5 yo child kicking the back of the seat. An irritation yes, assault, no. If this is assault I have assaulted dozens of people using seatback video screens.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by caburrito
You are either not a "reasonable person" or don't know what a "reasonable person" is. I will not say someone knocking on your front door is a threat of violence, guess you're wrong there. Unless if they were yelling "I would like to kill you, but don't worry, this isn't considered assault, ask geminidreams."
No its not considered assault. You have no evidence that he threatened her. You have a video of him tapping the back of a seat. Childish yes. Assault, no. If there was something more significant outside of the video that is a different matter and if there are corroborating witnesses, so be it, but getting worked up about some twitter nonsense is not being reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.