Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

San Francisco / SFO Moved to Terminal 1 2020 (inc. new Admirals Club)

San Francisco / SFO Moved to Terminal 1 2020 (inc. new Admirals Club)

Old Sep 18, 20, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer2018 View Post
I emailed AC customer service and here is the response - Looks like the club will of very little use to me during this trip. Disappointing.
AA has cut their service to SFO such that there's simply very few (if any) scheduled departures between mid-afternoon & the red-eyes, so perhaps they didn't feel it was justified to keep the lounge open in the 6-8 hr time period in between. Disappointing nevertheless.
SPN Lifer and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Sep 19, 20, 8:05 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
I suspect the exclusion will be removed when Alaska finally reopens a lounge at SFO.
I don't think Alaska's lounge is open yet, but sure enough, they no longer explicitly exclude the SFO AC on the Alaska Lounge list and it's listed in the AC list:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...tion-and-hours

A good cheaper way to get access to ACs.
Old Sep 19, 20, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by econ View Post
AA has cut their service to SFO such that there's simply very few (if any) scheduled departures between mid-afternoon & the red-eyes, so perhaps they didn't feel it was justified to keep the lounge open in the 6-8 hr time period in between. Disappointing nevertheless.
AA is cutting the SFO-JFK red-eye in October, down to one or two dailies in the morning only.

With the schedule cut to the bone, You'd have to pretty loyal to be sticking with AA these days as an SFO-based flyer.
Old Sep 19, 20, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
AA is cutting the SFO-JFK red-eye in October, down to one or two dailies in the morning only.

With the schedule cut to the bone, You'd have to pretty loyal to be sticking with AA these days as an SFO-based flyer.
Wow. And on Tuesdays, no SFOJFK fights at all.
Old Sep 19, 20, 1:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post

Soon, there will be two oneworld airlines flying SFOJFK...
Old Sep 19, 20, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Yep. Unfortunately, the AS F seat isn’t particularly exciting. And, it’s unlikely AA elites will be getting many free UPGs on AS transcons. Expect AA to fight for the market share in this important market.
Old Sep 19, 20, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFO_FT View Post
Yep. Unfortunately, the AS F seat isn’t particularly exciting.
Yeah, I like AS, but from my perspective not competitive t-con without the lie-flat.
Old Sep 20, 20, 5:30 am

Programs: AA: CK
And, it’s unlikely AA elites will be getting many free UPGs on AS transcons.
Providing free upgrades to mid-tier elites (EXP's, etc.) is not the end point of AA fleet allocation.

Expect AA to fight for the market share in this important market.
By massively reducing frequency? Because that's what's happening.

Last edited by BlooJoo; Sep 20, 20 at 7:59 am
Old Sep 20, 20, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
Providing free upgrades to mid-tier elites (EXP's, etc.) is not the end point of AA fleet allocation.
Just couldn't resist the dig, huh?

OP was talking about upgrades on AS, not AA. With respect to upgrades on AA, I suspect EXPs will continue to clear on SFO-JFK, especially if willing to burn SWUs. Particularly in light of AA's currently uncompetitive J pricing on the route.
Old Sep 20, 20, 12:17 pm

Just putting it out there that B6 has service to both JFK and EWR. Being able to earn miles on B6 flights to JFK/EWR/BOS might be attractive to some SF based ff.
Old Sep 20, 20, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
Just putting it out there that B6 has service to both JFK and EWR. Being able to earn miles on B6 flights to JFK/EWR/BOS might be attractive to some SF based ff.
Weren't these transcons huge enough money-makers that AA had a dedicated fleet for just the two routes? And it was one of the last routes propping up 3-class/Flagship Dining too. We really think they'd just cede this all to B6/Mint? Or was this really all about JFK-LAX and SFO was an afterthought?
Old Sep 21, 20, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Wayne Kao View Post
Weren't these transcons huge enough money-makers that AA had a dedicated fleet for just the two routes? And it was one of the last routes propping up 3-class/Flagship Dining too. We really think they'd just cede this all to B6/Mint? Or was this really all about JFK-LAX and SFO was an afterthought?
The performance on JFK-LAX has always been quite a bit better than JFK-SFO. Think around 15% higher yield. I'm not predicting AA will drop JFK-SFO. I will also not be surprised if they do. I'm simply saying that if JFK/EWR/BOS is included as part of AA partnership with JetBlue, then having these options should make Aadvantage more attractive for SF based flyer.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 21, 20, 7:24 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP
Originally Posted by Wayne Kao View Post
The odd thing was having a subfleet for JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO with first class. I think AA (and B6) was right that frequency matters more than capacity in this market, so narrowbodies make sense. However, I'm still puzzled by having a 3-class "first class" -- I understand that it is in a lot of actors' contracts, but maybe it doesn't need to be 10 seats in the front, maybe you can do two rows of 2 seats. I also believe that there was a lot more demand for First from the LAX point of sale.

There is going to be a lot of demand for the small, medium-to-long-range aircraft in AA's fleet like the 787-8 and A321LR for international service. Given that lie-flat seats are a necessity on the transcon routes, my gut tells me that they will keep the A321Ts to maintain the frequency with reduced demand. Alaska has already reduced transcon flying significantly, so it is possible that with their recliner product they just want to kick demand on premium routes over to AA (I've written about this before, but a transcon takes up most of an aircraft's day, while you can run a lot more short hops and potentially make more money). JetBlue seems to be content with Mint but even before the pandemic they were not adding new aircraft with Mint because it was a better use of the money to add all-Y aircraft. It will be a nice perk for AA FFs to be able to fly Mint, especially if they figure out how to allow SWUs on B6 (which Vasu Raja has said could happen) and work out a lounge access deal.
Old Sep 21, 20, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by VFR View Post
The odd thing was having a subfleet for JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO with first class. I think AA (and B6) was right that frequency matters more than capacity in this market, so narrowbodies make sense. However, I'm still puzzled by having a 3-class "first class" -- I understand that it is in a lot of actors' contracts, but maybe it doesn't need to be 10 seats in the front, maybe you can do two rows of 2 seats. I also believe that there was a lot more demand for First from the LAX point of sale.

There is going to be a lot of demand for the small, medium-to-long-range aircraft in AA's fleet like the 787-8 and A321LR for international service. Given that lie-flat seats are a necessity on the transcon routes, my gut tells me that they will keep the A321Ts to maintain the frequency with reduced demand. Alaska has already reduced transcon flying significantly, so it is possible that with their recliner product they just want to kick demand on premium routes over to AA (I've written about this before, but a transcon takes up most of an aircraft's day, while you can run a lot more short hops and potentially make more money). JetBlue seems to be content with Mint but even before the pandemic they were not adding new aircraft with Mint because it was a better use of the money to add all-Y aircraft. It will be a nice perk for AA FFs to be able to fly Mint, especially if they figure out how to allow SWUs on B6 (which Vasu Raja has said could happen) and work out a lounge access deal.
JetBlue is adding probably 6 non-LR A321NEO mint to its fleet from late this year to next. It should be a different layout than what we've seen so far. I'm hoping it will be an all-aisle access J cabin. We will see. The additional mint configured aircraft is to support EWR expansion. Although, I would imagine the new NEO mint would end up on JFK-LAX, since that's the most competitive market.
Old Mar 14, 21, 9:23 am

Visited the new AC for the first time yesterday morning. My first comment is wow AA got stuck at the end of a pretty long concourse. I'm not a fan of what SFO did here; this is probably the least convenient set of gates at what is otherwise an airport of reasonably compact concourses.

As for the club itself, a bit disappointing. It's not as interesting a space as the old one, just a long narrow rectangle looking out on gates (but not at runway). On the plus side, it does seem to have more seating than the old club. Very generic feel overall. Not half as nice as the SFO SkyClub.

Offerings at 5:45 am were a bit limited but included boiled eggs from the buffet (in a plastic container) and scramble by request. All beverages are served by the bartender.

Last edited by Kacee; Mar 14, 21 at 9:43 am

Search this Thread