FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2008906-alaska-joining-oneworld-31-mar-2021-aa-launching-sea-blr-lhr.html)

Antarius Feb 13, 2020 6:58 am

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

SEATTLE and FORT WORTH, Texas — Today, Alaska Airlines and American Airlines announce an alliance to create more choice for West Coast customers. The expanded relationship between the airlines will offer customers several benefits, including:

• Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
• American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
• The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
• Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
Link

Holy ....

Antarius Feb 13, 2020 7:00 am

Either DP has been fooling us all or he's been kidnapped and replaced by a body snatcher. Seems AA is no longer content being a a follower and is starting to take the fight to DL and others.

Between the undoing of Oasis, potentially new seats, launching BOS routes and now this, the future is finally starting look a little less bleak.

safari ari Feb 13, 2020 7:05 am

Just, WOW.

stewlevine Feb 13, 2020 7:10 am

I didn't see anything in the press release or in any of the initial blog reactions, but does anyone know when frequent flier benefits return? I am flying the first week of March on AS DAL-OGG on an AA award, it would be great (however unlikely) if all of a sudden I had a free baggage allowance again

Acid Feb 13, 2020 7:14 am

Imtetesting choice to fly SEA-BLR. I hope they can make it work. I feel eventually Vistara will partner with AA & DL too(they already announced codeshare with UA) similar to the Jet Airways model.

aacar Feb 13, 2020 7:14 am

SEA-BLR??? WOW.

Had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

Antarius Feb 13, 2020 7:15 am

Originally Posted by stewlevine (Post 32066878)
I didn't see anything in the press release or in any of the initial blog reactions, but does anyone know when frequent flier benefits return? I am flying the first week of March on AS DAL-OGG on an AA award, it would be great (however unlikely) if all of a sudden I had a free baggage allowance again

Highly doubt it will be before March. That's 2 weeks away.

dls25 Feb 13, 2020 7:17 am

Originally Posted by aacar (Post 32066903)
SEA-BLR??? WOW.

Had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

I did the same. I thought I was reading some satirical fake news.

perkerkeem Feb 13, 2020 7:17 am

I expect it's mostly AS putting customers onto AA longhaul flights feed. Any sort of domestic codesharing would likely violate the VX merger terms & put AA's unions up in arms about lost out growth.

Not sure much changes as AS already allowed for redemptions on CX, QF, BA, JL. If anything I would worry about AS losing some of the partnerships in other Alliances after they commit to OW (SQ, KE, LA)

Antarius Feb 13, 2020 7:18 am

Originally Posted by dls25 (Post 32066912)
I did the same. I thought I was reading some satirical fake news.

No kidding. I checked and double-checked that the site was AA before creating the thread.

safari ari Feb 13, 2020 7:19 am

Originally Posted by stewlevine (Post 32066878)

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...ines-oneworld/

The Alaska Airlines press release says Summer 2021.

GNRMatt Feb 13, 2020 7:20 am

Major thumbs up!! Now all of my annual flying using the Alaska Companion Certificate will earn me EQM's/EQD's again starting next year. Hopefully they also bring back the benefit of AA elites being able to book their Premium Class seats (AS's version of MCE) for free.

Cledaybuck Feb 13, 2020 7:22 am

Originally Posted by perkerkeem (Post 32066913)
I expect it's mostly AS putting customers onto AA longhaul flights feed

How is that going to work? Presumably, AS flights are already pretty full. Why give up a high local fare for a pro-rated connection fare? Isn't this the problem DL has with AS?

stewlevine Feb 13, 2020 7:25 am

Originally Posted by safari ari (Post 32066923)
https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...ines-oneworld/

The Alaska Airlines press release says Summer 2021.

Bummer. That makes sense, but would have been nice to have a different answer.

aaupgrade Feb 13, 2020 7:32 am

AS web site has been updated to reflect this new agreement with respect to earning AA miles starting Spring 2020. AA's web site has not been updated yet. With respect to stewlevine, they may well implement earning come March 1 as the AA web site says AA awards may not be redeemed on AS after February 29. I would think it would be easier to de-implement the pending changes instead of implementing them and then having to undo them shortly thereafter. Just a guess as I have no skin in the game, either way we'll see soon. While March 1 isn't spring, March 20 is, but then again so is June 19.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:AA

And yes, oneworld membership is not until summer 2021.