Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Alaska Airlines is expected join the oneworld Alliance as a full member summer 2021 end of 2020, pending regulatory approval*.
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 25 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
*The implementation of the expanded relationship and other arrangements described herein is subject to the negotiation and execution of definitive documentation and governmental review.

link to earning EQM, EQD, EQS and Award Miles flying Alaska Airlines as AS marketed flights. (If flying as AA marketed flight (codeshare), earnings are as if flying AA.) As of April 1, 2020.

Seattle’s first-ever direct flight to BLR will be available for purchase later this month, with daily flights beginning October 2020. Daily service between SEA and LHR will be available for purchase in May 2020 for flights starting March 2021.

link to full release, 13 Feb 2020

Alaska Airlines route map (including Virgin America)

Print Wikipost

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I don't doubt joining OW is good for AS. I am just skeptical that AS is going to be able to provide the feed to AA to make a route like SEA-BLR work. And let's face it, SEA-BLR is going to need all the help that it can get.
SEA-DXB is a double daily for EK and has been for a while.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by enviroian
This is great news. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it only a year or so ago when AA nixed any mileage earning benefits on AS flights?

I wonder how elite benefits will be shared. Nice to know I'll have alternate options to fly dfw-sea now.
Elite benefits will be recognized just as they are by any other oneworld airline.
enviroian and Often1 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a timeline for the various pieces of this on the AS website:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/on...|20200213_AW||

Will also be interesting to see if the AS assertion that some elites will be able to "[a]ccess 650 lounges within the oneworld network as an MVP Gold or Gold 75k membe" This suggests that an AS Gold will have AA access to the AC while travelling in Y, a benefit which AA's own elites don't have for domestic travel. Suspect that is a bit of over-exuberance by an AS marketer.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JDiver
Elite benefits will be recognized just as they are by any other oneworld airline.
I better do some reading as I've never flown paid travel on a one world airline before (only award C or J on BA).
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Often1

Will also be interesting to see if the AS assertion that some elites will be able to "[a]ccess 650 lounges within the oneworld network as an MVP Gold or Gold 75k membe" This suggests that an AS Gold will have AA access to the AC while travelling in Y, a benefit which AA's own elites don't have for domestic travel. Suspect that is a bit of over-exuberance by an AS marketer.
Nowhere in the announcement does it state "[a]ccess 650 lounges within the oneworld network as an MVP Gold or Gold 75k member on a domestic flight" AA uses the same 650 lounge access language, as is standard. Every carrier's announcement has the caveat of being on a qualifying flight, you're significantly over-parsing the language and drawing unwarranted assumptions.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

Like the AC's aren't shoulder to shoulder room only now. Oh that would be tough.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
In the email it says:

Effective immediately:
Redeem Alaska Mileage Plan™ miles on all American Airlines flights.

so my question is... does this allow for combining? That is, 10k Alaska Air miles + 15k AA (for example)?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
This is great news! Will this added feed help AA retain the LAX to PEK/PKX and PVG flights?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

It’ll be international per standard OW rules. AS MPVG/75K already have this for BA at LHR only plus QF lounges in Australia, and AA/AS/QF already have lounge reciprocity in paid memberships.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:47 am

Having a team in Bangalore, this sounds amazing. I just completed the 30 hour journey of ICT-ORD-LHR-BLR in January. Going ICT-SEA-BLR sounds much much better.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by lds89
I'd assume Amazon and Microsoft together could probably fill that flight especially in premium cabins the way Apple does UA's SFO-PVG. Got to be heavy O&D
While Amazon and Microsoft will be important for this flight, they aren't going to fill 30 J seats each day by themseleves.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I suspect they are hoping to pick up one-stop traffic from SFO/SJC/OAK. AS is the second largest carrier at SFO and has a strong presence at OAK and SJC as well.
Absolutely. But there is going to be other one stop competition, especially from Star.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
SEABLR is a massive local market. Alaska also has a massive domestic hub operation at Seattle - 300+ daily flights.
What kind of numbers are we talking? If it is massive, why doesn't anyone currently fly from anywhere in the US to BLR?

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
SEA-DXB is a double daily for EK and has been for a while.
Ok. There are a lot of places you can connect to on EK other than BLR.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVPG 75K, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by lds89
I'd assume Amazon and Microsoft together could probably fill that flight especially in premium cabins the way Apple does UA's SFO-PVG. Got to be heavy O&D
Amazon doesn't spend on Premium cabins. Their folks rely on status / own $$ to get upgrades when travelling for work.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
In the email it says:

Effective immediately:
Redeem Alaska Mileage Plan™ miles on all American Airlines flights.

so my question is... does this allow for combining? That is, 10k Alaska Air miles + 15k AA (for example)?
Of course not, just like you cannot combine 10k BA Avios + 15k AA miles for a single 25k AA award.

The comment is pretty self explanatory, effective immediately you can redeem AS miles on AA flights.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I wish any OW would fly USA to BOM direct... I do love the connection in LHR.. but would rather not, if I can fly direct
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Kacee
AS has struggled to retain VX flyers. Joining OW is in part I suspect a reflection of the difficulties its had competing with UA in California, particularly ex-SFO.
I left UA because I couldn't connect in SFO (mainly due to the reliability of UAX) so AS joining OW will be a welcome blessing as it will give me some more options from ONT, PSP and SNA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.