Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Alaska Airlines is expected join the oneworld Alliance as a full member summer 2021 end of 2020, pending regulatory approval*.
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 25 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
*The implementation of the expanded relationship and other arrangements described herein is subject to the negotiation and execution of definitive documentation and governmental review.

link to earning EQM, EQD, EQS and Award Miles flying Alaska Airlines as AS marketed flights. (If flying as AA marketed flight (codeshare), earnings are as if flying AA.) As of April 1, 2020.

Seattle’s first-ever direct flight to BLR will be available for purchase later this month, with daily flights beginning October 2020. Daily service between SEA and LHR will be available for purchase in May 2020 for flights starting March 2021.

link to full release, 13 Feb 2020

Alaska Airlines route map (including Virgin America)

Print Wikipost

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
Upcoming AS flight benefits

Originally Posted by stewlevine
I didn't see anything in the press release or in any of the initial blog reactions, but does anyone know when frequent flier benefits return? I am flying the first week of March on AS DAL-OGG on an AA award, it would be great (however unlikely) if all of a sudden I had a free baggage allowance again
Over the weekend, I just booked a flight on AS AUS-SFO for late March. I'm wondering if there will be any way to credit the miles for this flight to AA or get any status/better seating for the trip. My guess is "no," but never hurts to ask...

Thanks,
--woodstock
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Presumably, AS flights are already pretty full. Why give up a high local fare for a pro-rated connection fare? Isn't this the problem DL has with AS?
AS has struggled to retain VX flyers. Joining OW is in part I suspect a reflection of the difficulties its had competing with UA in California, particularly ex-SFO.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Wow, that is great news. Nice to hear positive news for AA fliers when everything was indicating AS putting more distance between AA. It sure is good for AA, I am sure AA did not want to see AS joining OneWorld Star Alliance or Sky Team. AAdvantage will have strong presence in West Coat again.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Feb 13, 2020 at 8:55 am
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Wow, that is great news. Nice to hear positive news for AA fliers when everything was indicating AS putting more distance between AA. It sure is good for AA, I am sure AA did not want to see AS joining OneWorld or Sky Team. AAdvantage will have strong presence in West Coat again.
assuming you mean Star Alliance

This is definitely hugely beneficial for AA on the west coast. Wonder if this might bolster SFO a little for AA as well.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Wow, that is great news. Nice to hear positive news for AA fliers when everything was indicating AS putting more distance between AA. It sure is good for AA, I am sure AA did not want to see AS joining OneWorld or Sky Team (bolding mine). AAdvantage will have strong presence in West Coat again.
You mean *A or ST, right?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Maybe I’ll need to rethink my defection to Star Alliance? This is big news for a SEA & LHR cohabitator who has a sizeable bucket of lifetime AA miles...

————

I’ve updated the OP to add a brief quote and link.

~Moderator
JDiver and deeruck like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Kacee
AS has struggled to retain VX flyers. Joining OW is in part I suspect a reflection of the difficulties its had competing with UA in California, particularly ex-SFO.
I don't doubt joining OW is good for AS. I am just skeptical that AS is going to be able to provide the feed to AA to make a route like SEA-BLR work. And let's face it, SEA-BLR is going to need all the help that it can get.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Interesting development. I’m both AA EP and AS 75K. I was considering letting my 75K status lapse after this year, as it’s becoming more difficult to fly them, particularly outside the west coast. Looks like I may not need AS status anymore, anyway, though!

This also makes AA’s expansion with additional flights to ANC and FAI for the summer all the more interesting — initially it seemed like increased competition to me, but perhaps it’s the start of more collaboration?
allset2travel likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I can't wait for SEA-BLR. It's going to be a big step up from the current SFO/LAX/SEA/etc.-HKG-BLR routings popular on the West Coast.

Alaska joining OneWorld is also great news for everything except Mileage Plan.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
I don't doubt joining OW is good for AS. I am just skeptical that AS is going to be able to provide the feed to AA to make a route like SEA-BLR work. And let's face it, SEA-BLR is going to need all the help that it can get.
I'd assume Amazon and Microsoft together could probably fill that flight especially in premium cabins the way Apple does UA's SFO-PVG. Got to be heavy O&D
bchandler02, wrp96, Often1 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by stewlevine
I didn't see anything in the press release or in any of the initial blog reactions, but does anyone know when frequent flier benefits return? I am flying the first week of March on AS DAL-OGG on an AA award, it would be great (however unlikely) if all of a sudden I had a free baggage allowance again
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
Over the weekend, I just booked a flight on AS AUS-SFO for late March. I'm wondering if there will be any way to credit the miles for this flight to AA or get any status/better seating for the trip. My guess is "no," but never hurts to ask...

Thanks,
--woodstock

I doubt that will happen anywhere close to that soon.

• Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.

Alaska seeks full oneworld membership

Alaska intends to join oneworld, the world’s fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance. Once approved, oneworld membership will allow Alaska Mileage Plan loyalty members to earn and redeem miles through oneworld’s more than 1,200 international destinations. The alliance enables reciprocal benefits on other member airlines, such as priority check-in and boarding, access to preferred seats and free checked bags...

The implementation of the expanded relationship and other arrangements described herein is subject to the negotiation and execution of definitive documentation and governmental review.
”Once approved...” Thoigh I’m sure there has been some talk behind the scenes, it’s likely to take some time for a join of an airline; they say summer 2021, though I’d love it to be sooner. But next month, not likely IMO.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 13, 2020 at 8:31 am
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am just skeptical that AS is going to be able to provide the feed to AA to make a route like SEA-BLR work. And let's face it, SEA-BLR is going to need all the help that it can get.
Originally Posted by lds89
I'd assume Amazon and Microsoft together could probably fill that flight especially in premium cabins the way Apple does UA's SFO-PVG. Got to be heavy O&D
I suspect they are hoping to pick up one-stop traffic from SFO/SJC/OAK. AS is the second largest carrier at SFO and has a strong presence at OAK and SJC as well.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This is great news. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it only a year or so ago when AA nixed any mileage earning benefits on AS flights?

I wonder how elite benefits will be shared. Nice to know I'll have alternate options to fly dfw-sea now.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by perkerkeem
I expect it's mostly AS putting customers onto AA longhaul flights feed. Any sort of domestic codesharing would likely violate the VX merger terms & put AA's unions up in arms about lost out growth.

Not sure much changes as AS already allowed for redemptions on CX, QF, BA, JL. If anything I would worry about AS losing some of the partnerships in other Alliances after they commit to OW (SQ, KE, LA)
AA and AS will significantly expand domestic code sharing from SEA and LAX, as announced.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
SEABLR is a massive local market. Alaska also has a massive domestic hub operation at Seattle - 300+ daily flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.