Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Alaska Airlines is expected join the oneworld Alliance as a full member summer 2021 end of 2020, pending regulatory approval*.
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 25 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
*The implementation of the expanded relationship and other arrangements described herein is subject to the negotiation and execution of definitive documentation and governmental review.

link to earning EQM, EQD, EQS and Award Miles flying Alaska Airlines as AS marketed flights. (If flying as AA marketed flight (codeshare), earnings are as if flying AA.) As of April 1, 2020.

Seattle’s first-ever direct flight to BLR will be available for purchase later this month, with daily flights beginning October 2020. Daily service between SEA and LHR will be available for purchase in May 2020 for flights starting March 2021.

link to full release, 13 Feb 2020

Alaska Airlines route map (including Virgin America)

Print Wikipost

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by enviroian
How long down the road before AA just outright buys AS? Next year?
How quickly we forget; Parker (while at US) was able to wrestle control of AA from Horton by cutting a deal with labor, who have since turned on Parker. During the next economic downturn (coronavirus?), labor and investors could give Parker a taste of his own medicine, force the board to spin off the Aadvantage program, turn the keys over to Tilden, merge operations.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by gateH15
Amazons culture and work environment sucks. I’m not surprised
AS did a pretty good job getting their hooks into Amazon employees with promotions like this (now expired) offer to hit MVP (first status tier) after just 2 round trip flights.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Tuned in late on this, but am in Seattle and in the industry I think the BLR flight is catering to and at one of the companies people mention, the one that allows business class travel ;-) I can say this, our NW rep when I was flying monthly between Singapore and Seattle as well as quarterly between Seattle and Hyderbad told me that NW intended to do both SEA-SIN and SEA-india when they got the 787s. If the math worked then, it's likely to work even better now. Other than the business colleagues I met onboard through NRT or AMS, I meet so many Indian expats who fly back and forth, many in business class. There is a market, the YVR flights are pretty packed too (although arguably less in the front of the plane). I would say SEA-BLR has a good chance if AA finds a feeder to HYD/BOM/DEL. The LHR flight is a no brainer and given the lift that BA has added over the years to the PacNW (including PDX), I wouldn't automatically think this will reduce BA frequency. This is great, I've been flying JL/BA over the last decade when I would love to see AA metal here. Also, depending on how the China situation plays out, AA might have the ability to strike at Delta.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by yensoy
SEA-BLR a long flight. Connecting customers may have other choices (for instance someone flying SJC-SEA-BLR could drive up to SFO and take any of the numerous 1 stops), AA needs to convince them why flying through SEA is better than a break midway in Europe or Asia. Time savings is one aspect but if the journey is viewed as a painful exercise (such as inadequate food, or poor state of toilets, or less chance to stretch ones legs) then passengers especially in economy might prefer the conventional longer 1 stop routings which are plentiful today.
This is a really good point. Having done the ORD-DEL flight a few times when it was active (and then connecting to HYD), the long flight wears on you.
Option 1 at the time was OKC/ORD/DEL/HYD.
Option 2 at the time was OKC/xxx/LHR/HYD

I had switched to option 2 to break up the trip, as well as avoid what at the time was a not pleasant connection in DEL prior to the new airport terminals. In Y, ORD/DEL was unbearable. In J, it was tolerable but not great, however this was with the old angle flat seats. The new J seats on 789's would be much better.

Now, my choice would be OKC/SEA/BLR (and sometimes to HYD, although I'd probably spend more time in BLR these days) - but it may still be worth it to do OKC/xxx/LHR/BLR just to break up the trip into shorter segments.
It will be interesting to see if the majority prefers a extremely long flight with less connections.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Wait, what? Are you saying that as Amazon sends employees and executives around the world, to Australia, Europe, the Middle East, India, Southeast Asia, etc...they are required to fly economy? AMAZON?
I'd bet that more major companies mandate Y for non-exec employees than we think.
wrp96 and freeagent like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Now, my choice would be OKC/SEA/BLR (and sometimes to HYD, although I'd probably spend more time in BLR these days)
Although even that will depend on the timing. AS’s OKC-SEA flight may or may not connect efficiently to the BLR flight. Without a banked hub, I find that connections through SEA between infrequent flights (in my case, YLW or EAT to east coast, most often) typically don’t even work well on AS alone. Between partners without anti trust immunity (and who thus cannot legally coordinate schedules), cities like OKC are likely to be iffy. I ran into this when I lived in SYD and was often traveling on VA/DL to SEA when DL and AS were tight before DL started even LAX-SEA service. Without immunity, even on a route with frequent service, the connection timing was often pretty bad. This will be a challenge for AA’s reliance on AS for feed.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Wait, what? Are you saying that as Amazon sends employees and executives around the world, to Australia, Europe, the Middle East, India, Southeast Asia, etc...they are required to fly economy? AMAZON?
In short, yes that is correct mostly, there is one exception:
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by SEA737
You shouldn't forget the hard product. AA's 787-9 J and PE seats are quite nice (J in particular), and far better than EK. As for SEA as a connecting hub, I don't think there's much to be worried about. DL has been able to make it work for years, and SEA is already modernizing their international arrivals facility which should be ready in time for this flight. I do hope AA does something about its sometimes-grumpy flight attendants, but I also don't see it as any worse than UA and as you mentioned UA has been able to make it work, so I think people are willing to ignore that with a much better routing, and in this case with a far superior seat.
You make excellent points. The big winner, IMHO, is the PE class rather than J or Y. I think that will be the first to get sold out - any number of VFR will be willing and able to pay a little more for the additional space and comfort on this long flight.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by diver858
How quickly we forget; Parker (while at US) was able to wrestle control of AA from Horton by cutting a deal with labor, who have since turned on Parker. During the next economic downturn (coronavirus?), labor and investors could give Parker a taste of his own medicine, force the board to spin off the Aadvantage program, turn the keys over to Tilden, merge operations.
lol
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:19 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Good luck to AA. This new partnership is pretty much useless to us on the East coast.

My company has people going to Bangalore and other Indian cities (daily) in business from cities around the country. I doubt this flight will last.

​​​​​
Old Feb 15, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Forgive my ignorance as to how this works... Does this mean that we’ll soon be able to earn AA EQMs and EQDs in Alaska metal, either when booking as AA- or AS-marketed flights?

I’m based in Austin, so earning AA status on nonstop Alaska routes like AUS-SFO, AUS-SAN and AUS-SEA would be great. I’m not currently able to see these as codeshares with AA flight numbers.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13
Forgive my ignorance as to how this works... Does this mean that we’ll soon be able to earn AA EQMs and EQDs in Alaska metal, either when booking as AA- or AS-marketed flights?
Yes, that is a sure thing. Once AS joins oneworld (sometime in 2021), you will be able to credit any AS marketed flight (operated by any oneworld carrier including AS or AA) to AAdvantage or any other oneworld frequent flyer program.

It is, in my opinion, highly probable that AA and AS will restore mutual earning before AS joins oneworld. AS has said that earning AS miles on AA flights will resume in spring 2020; I’m not sure if AA has said officially that AAdvantage earning for AS flights will resume around then, but I expect it to.

We don’t know what the earning rates will look like.
JDiver and GTITAN like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13

I’m based in Austin, so earning AA status on nonstop Alaska routes like AUS-SFO, AUS-SAN and AUS-SEA would be great. I’m not currently able to see these as codeshares with AA flight numbers.
Yes but given that partner flights, unless booked as AA flight numbers, will earn EQDs as a % of distance it probably won't be a good way to earn EQDs if the %s are similar to other partners.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
How long down the road before AA just outright buys AS? Next year?
More likely to be the other way around these days, AA's stock price is much further in the toilet than AS's is, when you add in that you'd have to give AS shareholders a premium the same way AS had to throw cash at VX's stockholders in that bidding war with JBLU (which ALK is still paying down debt from), given that AAL isn't as nice a business value as ALK, it just doesn't make much sense.

That's right, guys, ALK's market cap is not to far from 40% of AAL's. 77Ws and 789s and all.
diver858 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Good luck to AA. This new partnership is pretty much useless to us on the East coast.

My company has people going to Bangalore and other Indian cities (daily) in business from cities around the country. I doubt this flight will last.

​​​​​
You will be able to travel to BLR in one stop to BLR through SEA from the East Coast.

There are no non-stops from the East Coast to BLR.

How is this useless to the East Coast?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.