Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Against the rules to give up your FC seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Against the rules to give up your FC seat?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Looks like we have an official announcement from AA. And wouldn't you know, it directly contradicts what the FA said.

Via VFTW blog, dated today.
"It was news to me that American had a rule on this, and sided with those who say the seat holder can’t just give up their seat. I reached out to American to confirm it. However a spokesperson though says that passengers “can switch seats – the only policy we have is they shouldn’t switch seats during a meal service.” As a result the customers “did not violate any rules.” American is “following up with the crew and both passengers.”

Link to blog: https://viewfromthewing.com/first-cl...ver-they-wish/
Spiff, cmd320 and sassysan like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, I think that goes above and beyond what many people here would think is a reasonable policy.
The "most reasonable" policy is that you can swap seats at the time of boarding. E.g., one spouse giving the single upgrade to the other, or the CEO giving the upgrade to a worker bee. I think anyone is hard-pressed to come up with a valid reason to disallow this.

But beyond that, mid-flight swaps can be more controversial. Especially since that means two passengers could be raiding the liquor cabinet at the expense of other FC pax.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:17 pm

It sounds to me like the FA took the name correction as some sort of personal affront and responded accordingly.

I'm not sure why the passenger felt the need to correct the name, as it's a superficial gimmick anyway and indicates absolutely no genuine intimacy or friendship (and in this age of gender fluidity, it's not like the FA could look at a passenger, look at the passenger list, and say "Hey, you're not a guy!"). At any rate, the FAs can call me Gracie Lou Freebush as far as I'm concerned, as long as they give me booze and snacks, but for whatever reason this passenger felt the need to set the record straight, and the FA seemed to take it personally...

This is why I tend to take an instant disliking to everybody else on any plane I board, passengers and crew included and stowaways if necessary - it just saves so much time...
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by William1865
It sounds to me like the FA took the name correction as some sort of personal affront and responded accordingly.

I'm not sure why the passenger felt the need to correct the name, as it's a superficial gimmick anyway and indicates absolutely no genuine intimacy or friendship (and in this age of gender fluidity, it's not like the FA could look at a passenger, look at the passenger list, and say "Hey, you're not a guy!"). At any rate, the FAs can call me Gracie Lou Freebush as far as I'm concerned, as long as they give me booze and snacks, but for whatever reason this passenger felt the need to set the record straight, and the FA seemed to take it personally...

This is why I tend to take an instant disliking to everybody else on any plane I board, passengers and crew included and stowaways if necessary - it just saves so much time...
How about, because that's a reasonable, natural reaction that I'd say most would have. Especially if you're not doing anything shady. Completely irrelevant to the FA making her own rules up about things.
Spiff, JJeffrey, ijgordon and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by genotonda
How about, because that's a reasonable, natural reaction that I'd say most would have. Especially if you're not doing anything shady. Completely irrelevant to the FA making her own rules up about things.
yep. Same as if I switch seats with another FC pax if they want to sit together. It's a simple correction that helps later on - if the FA is trying to get my attention by saying something like Mr. Smith, I'm not going to respond.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:11 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
(1)How much business does Borden do with AA? If it's lots of $, they should be happy to keep the CEO "happy".
(2)About 6 years ago I was flying from LAS to JFK, a pax in FC wanted his girl friend, who was in Y, seated next to him and offered to pay his seatmate to swap with GF, either $250 or $2500 (I forget which)--no swap occurred, but in this instance I can see AA being miffed: "they were not getting part of the action."
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:55 pm

Be that as it may, genotonda, that's what seemed to set this FA off, genotonda. William1865 thinks first-naming in domestic first class is just silly but that's just me, William1865.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Looks like we have an official announcement from AA. And wouldn't you know, it directly contradicts what the FA said.

Via VFTW blog, dated today.
"It was news to me that American had a rule on this, and sided with those who say the seat holder can’t just give up their seat. I reached out to American to confirm it. However a spokesperson though says that passengers “can switch seats – the only policy we have is they shouldn’t switch seats during a meal service.” As a result the customers “did not violate any rules.” American is “following up with the crew and both passengers.”

Link to blog: https://viewfromthewing.com/first-cl...ver-they-wish/
Ta da.

And this should end the discussion. It's not a rule stated anywhere.
sosafan, Spiff and robertablake like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Ta da.

And this should end the discussion.
I'll close with practical advice. If you're switching seats between cabins, don't make it known. Let the FA call you by the wrong name.

To be clear I'm totally on the passengers' side in the original account. However, I will assume the ability to remain swapped and not deal with hassle is more important than being addressed by the right name.
William1865 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
I'll close with practical advice. If you're switching seats between cabins, don't make it known. Let the FA call you by the wrong name.

To be clear I'm totally on the passengers' side in the original account. However, I will assume the ability to remain swapped and not deal with hassle is more important than being addressed by the right name.
Absolutely, but in the event that it's a male-female switch, it may illicit an odd look from the FA. Followed by a potential inquiry from said FA.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:38 pm

I have done this in the past for team members who do not have the luxury of flying first/business class. I always make it known and make sure that FA does not have issues. In any case, I always make sure that FA knows which seat I am swapping so that there are no issues. Perhaps this was more of misunderstanding that got out of proportion.

l8r

-doc
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:25 pm

Absolutely, but in the event that it's a male-female switch, it may illicit an odd look from the FA. Followed by a potential inquiry from said FA.
Should be increasingly less of a risk as society holds more progressive attitudes toward gender.

However, I've accepted many seat swaps from the opposite gender within the F cabin and when the FA comes around with the flight manifest and looks confused, I simply say I've swapped seats. I don't say with whom.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The "out" for the airline (and not just AA) is the FF rule that all passengers must comply with crew member instructions. This gives FAs and pilots leeway in what kind of "rules" they lay down. Understandably this is needed particularly in the case of an emergency. The CEO claimed he got approval ahead of time and the FA claimed he/she didn't give approval/misunderstood albeit I'm at a loss of what the FA would not have understood. In the end crew members that want to be on a power trip often can by the nature of the job.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
So what I am still unclear on, going back to the original question, is whether or not there is truly a rule. I give up my first class upgrade on occasion - mostly to my wife. If this is no longer allowed, that will change our travel habits a bit.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
I have swapped seats without issue on American Airlines flights

Over the past 19 years (most of them EXP) - I've swapped my FC seat for a person's coach seat at least 5-6 times.

Never had an issue.

I felt great about being able to initiate a random act of kindness to another person, the other person was happy. Everyone wins.

I am not arguing what AA's policies are (I don't know them), I am also not arguing that they may have labeled switching seats a security risk.

What I don't understand is why it would be a security risk.

Do I get vetted differently if I sit in 1A than if I sit in 16C? Is 1B reserved for people with a higher secret unpublished security clearance than 32E?

Yes, the lack of logic frustrates me. Yes, I get frustrated often.

Keep the faith, YMMV

Pakse

Last edited by Pakse; Feb 19, 2020 at 9:22 am Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.