Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Against the rules to give up your FC seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Against the rules to give up your FC seat?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Assuming this is all true and the facts are as stated... Wow. Just wow. WT* AA? And WT* AA CS?

I mean, really...Borden is a billion-dollar US company, based in Dallas TX, you'd think customer service would have a short list of local CEOs that fly (are flying) on AA and have the presence of mind to quickly establish veracity of a letter/e-mail/message from one addressed to DP and ensure it gets to DP personally...

Then again, maybe this is what happens to high-flying CEOs when the company files bankruptcy...

smh
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by AAir_head; Feb 13, 2020 at 12:41 pm Reason: correct factual error
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I have to wonder if this had not been a corporate CEO for a fairly large company (I certainly recognized the name) would AA have just sent Form Letter #2 basically telling the customer to go pound sand.
Isn't that what AA did?

My guess is that some/many/all of the "customer service" reps answering complaint emails automatically take the FA's or GAS's side. Maybe AA trains them to do this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:37 am

If AA understood anything about corporate comms and customer service they wouldn’t have even brought up the policy itself. They would have just apologized for the incident and thrown in some worthless miles. But the Internet is forever. And now they own this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't that what AA did?

My guess is that some/many/all of the "customer service" reps answering complaint emails automatically take the FA's or GAS's side. Maybe AA trains them to do this.
The response back to the CEO was an apology. The initial response to the young lady was to go pound sand.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:59 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The international tariff rules stipulate that the passenger must fly in the class of service for which they are ticketed.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html

I cannot find the detailed tariffs for a domestic flight, but I'm sure buried in the AA fine print there is verbiage that says the same (passenger required to fly in class of service for which they are ticketed). AA will always fall back on that, no matter how rude the flight attendant was.

The FA and Captain also have the right to move passengers between cabins for varying reasons. That also includes simply saying 'ok' when someone offers to swap their F seat for someone in Y. Happens all the time, and it's perfectly legal (again - with crew blessing).
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PHL
The international tariff rules stipulate that the passenger must fly in the class of service for which they are ticketed.
Where does it say this? I can't find the clause you're referring to.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Well one thing is for certain....

No milk for you!
wrp96, jhalapin and Beachfun71 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PHL

I cannot find the detailed tariffs for a domestic flight, but I'm sure buried in the AA fine print there is verbiage that says the same (passenger required to fly in class of service for which they are ticketed). AA will always fall back on that, no matter how rude the flight attendant was.

The FA and Captain also have the right to move passengers between cabins for varying reasons. That also includes simply saying 'ok' when someone offers to swap their F seat for someone in Y. Happens all the time, and it's perfectly legal (again - with crew blessing).
Then FAs should prevent coach passengers from using FC lavatories. That doesn't happen.

BTW, in this case, the FA did approve the seat swap at the beginning of the flight.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I have to wonder if this had not been a corporate CEO for a fairly large company (I certainly recognized the name) would AA have just sent Form Letter #2 basically telling the customer to go pound sand.
The response to the CEO looked like Form Letter #3 actually. Notice it had no details about the actual issue, someone pressed the "EXP"+"Rude"+"Sorry" buttons and out came the reply that same or similar letter is likely in hundreds of inboxes.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:57 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
When you buy a ticket for a flight in a particular class, that is what you are buying ; there is no entitlement to swap around passengers between classes of service

If the person had asked in advance whether it would be ok to swap , the attendant would either have said yes or no - if asked in advance, the attendant's response might have been different or may have still have said no

Either way, it would have avoided the situation that the passenger created
I know that you always defend AA but what you posted is not true. Any passenger is free to swap a seat they bought for a particular flight with anyone else.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:59 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by AAir_head
Assuming this is all true and the facts are as stated... Wow. Just wow. WT* AA? And WT* AA CS?

I mean, really...nevermind Fortune 500, or 100--Borden is a Fortune 20 US company, you'd think customer service would have a short list of CEOs that fly (are flying) on AA and have the presence of mind to quickly establish veracity of a letter/e-mail/message from one addressed to DP and ensure it gets to DP personally...

Then again, maybe this is what happens to high-flying CEOs when the company files bankruptcy...

smh
$1 Billion is not even close to Fortune 20. Not remotely close...
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: Watergate
+1 to the thought that FAs are glorified wait staff trying their best to project an air of importance when they have essentially the same requirements as a TSA agent.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Actually, it does not say that anywhere. You may have gotten confused by the text that says that if you get rebooked, you'll get rebooked in the same cabin, but there's nothing about what happens when you get on the plane.

That language also does not exist. There's nothing to fall back on.

I know people like to defend AA's adherence to the rules, but I really don't understand when people make up rules to justify AA's actions. This is just something that the FA seems to have made up, and as many people have pointed out, in practice these sorts of switches happen all the time. It's made worse by the fact that the FA initially approved the swap, but AA doesn't seem to actually have any written policy requiring such permission.
LINDEGR, Antarius and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by ryan182
The response to the CEO looked like Form Letter #3 actually. Notice it had no details about the actual issue, someone pressed the "EXP"+"Rude"+"Sorry" buttons and out came the reply that same or similar letter is likely in hundreds of inboxes.
Yep. I bet they are going to regret sending boilerplate junk to a CEO of an $1 billion company.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Didn't you know that the see through curtain is electrified?
If only...

Originally Posted by the phoenix
I love how security is a supposed reason. Security here is irrelevant.
Security is the typical excuse to absolve the power-tripping employee of any need to explain the situation.

Overall, this doesn't really come as much of a surprise. AA employee's routinely make up their own rules and it's not as if customer service has any knowledge of which ones are real and which ones are not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.