Search

Gate agent musings

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Gate agent musings

So I’m getting ready to board a flight at DFW. The agent gets on the horn to announce a mx delay and fast forward 90 minutes later plane is taken out of service. I walk up to the counter and ask what flights through phx are available. She asks me for BP to confirm I’m on this flight and asks me to come around and look at the screen. She asks my last name and upon entering it says “you’re EP you fly a lot and you know what you’re looking at”. I see connections via ORD, CLT, and LAX but no phx. Anyway she says “hey you know what? There is someone VERY important that needs to get to your destination. He will get there but you may not
She continues. “ see this badge? 36 years of service. It only started getting this way 5 years ago”.
Then all of a sudden an announcement was made they found another 738 and go to the new gate.

I appreciate the openness of the employee. By the way that monitor? It was a blue screen background and o felt like I was back in 1988 Att 2600 PC wordstar running.

ETA now on the replacement plane. Flight attendant comes on horn to apologize about delay then adds “sorry the IFE and power outlets are inoperable “

LOL
ceieoc, D3Kingg, Thysk and 1 others like this.

Last edited by enviroian; Feb 12, 2020 at 1:29 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Enviroian's musings are just as obscure
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Just another day on AA.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
So I’m getting ready to board a flight at DFW. The agent gets on the horn to announce a mx delay and fast forward 90 minutes later plane is taken out of service. I walk up to the counter and ask what flights through phx are available. She asks me for BP to confirm I’m on this flight and asks me to come around and look at the screen. She asks my last name and upon entering it says “you’re EP you fly a lot and you know what you’re looking at”. I see connections via ORD, CLT, and LAX but no phx. Anyway she says “hey you know what? There is someone VERY important that needs to get to your destination. He will get there but you may not
She continues. “ see this badge? 36 years of service. It only started getting this way 5 years ago”.
Then all of a sudden an announcement was made they found another 738 and go to the new gate.

I appreciate the openness of the employee. By the way that monitor? It was a blue screen background and o felt like I was back in 1988 Att 2600 PC wordstar running.

ETA now on the replacement plane. Flight attendant comes on horn to apologize about delay then adds “sorry the IFE and power outlets are inoperable “

LOL
Enviroan,

You blew you opportunity. You could have flown DFW-ORD-PHX...... (satire) I think those routes are now all ER4- Chairman Parker wants to reward ORD PAX by ensuring as window or aisle seat to all ORD PAX as he makes ORD an all ER4 fleet.....
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
it’s hard to believe you keep flying this airline with as many problems you seem to have with them on an almost daily basis.

Captive market or not.
JonNYC, CMK10, USFlyerUS and 11 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
it’s hard to believe you keep flying this airline with as many problems you seem to have with them on an almost daily basis.

Captive market or not.
Spot on. I'm just a lowly PPro, but I don't encounter even 10% of the issues this member seems to suffer... very strange.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
OH Boy! Do I expect to get flamed on this one!

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Enviroian's musings are just as obscure

Captive market or not.
In this case, Enviroian is just reporting the news, not making it. Maybe some of us this forum and this thread should put away our SnarkGuns.

Just sayin’

(Self redacted)

Last edited by Dallas49er; Feb 12, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold

Captive market or not.
Ditto. I fly a lot and maybe have 1-2 "problems" a year that are generally solvable without drama, as one who flies a lot would on any carrier. Let's not forget people might be trolling us, so I don't believe much of what I read on here.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
In this case, Enviroian is just reporting the news, not making it.
Perhaps or just maybe what some find “news” isn’t even worthy of the energy to the masses, or maybe it’s just a cry for attention. Who knows
JonNYC, TheDudeAbides and rumboj like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Who knows
Many of us.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Perhaps or just maybe what some find “news” isn’t even worthy of the energy to the masses, or maybe it’s just a cry for attention. Who knows
cry for attention? Hardly. Hanging 6 tags off your briefcase is that. I don’t think my post was remotely dramatic nor sensational. I merely reported what occurred today.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Does anyone think today’s mx delay is worthy of a few thousand miles?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:47 am
Suspended

I like to read such stories, so thanks enviroian. We don't have this kind of FA - no matter what airline - in Europe.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
In this case, Enviroian is just reporting the news, not making it. Maybe some of us this forum and this thread should put away our SnarkGuns.

Just sayin’

(Self redacted)

I really wasn't trying to be snarky. Sorry Enviroian. I just probably typed it wrong. I was trying to say 'find a new carrier'.
enviroian likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by adenzin7
I like to read such stories, so thanks enviroian. We don't have this kind of FA - no matter what airline - in Europe.
Alitalia would beg to disagree
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.