Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DCA-JFK service reduction affected my trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DCA-JFK service reduction affected my trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Cancel your itinerary, get your money back, and fly IAD-HND non stop.
arlflyer and mrcool1122 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Cancel your itinerary, get your money back, and fly IAD-HND non stop.
Are you gonna pay the fare difference for OP?
JJeffrey, Often1 and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; US silver
J class in Finnair is $2500 less pp than the price of nonstop from WAS. Although we've made many trips to Asia, this is the first time we are doing TATL and thought it would be fun to have a stopover in HEL, we're retired so not in a rush with limited vaca days. But I will probably wait a few days before calling Finnair to see if anything else comes up that's close to the price we paid that does not connect through China. We can live without a stopover in HEL. Open to suggestions, we don't like transiting in PHL but I will look into that also.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Is using Dulles or BWI an option? See lots of combos of IAD/BWI-LHR-HEL on British....
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joeyE
Is using Dulles or BWI an option? See lots of combos of IAD/BWI-LHR-HEL on British....
Oh sure, any airport is OK. Although I'd prefer OW, would go with others, I'm seeing some flights on Delta that are in the same range as what I paid. Not at all wedded to the HEL stopover.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by FromDC
Oh sure, any airport is OK. Although I'd prefer OW, would go with others, I'm seeing some flights on Delta that are in the same range as what I paid. Not at all wedded to the HEL stopover.
I'd push for AA to rebook you on BWI-JFK. Doesn't look like they have a direct IAD-JFK
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That's even worse. AA has one BWI-JFK at 11:56 (currently). If schlepping to BWI, might as well stay on the train to NYP anyway.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold.
My March DCA-JFK flight is still active on a Sunday via Republic. If they do change me around, then I am okay with it as my next flight is JFK-SFO in the evening so I have 9 hours currently set to relax in the Flagship lounge.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
That's even worse. AA has one BWI-JFK at 11:56 (currently). If schlepping to BWI, might as well stay on the train to NYP anyway.
Yes, it's a schlep for sure and that's the only flight. Seriously considering Delta as alternative (thru MSP). Will keep looking and welcoming suggestions for another couple of days before contacting Finnair. Thanks everyone.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:42 pm

What AA has done to DCA-JFK is ridiculous. I mean I guess they figure you have DCA-PHL or IAD-LHR for Europe.
They used to have a couple of afternoon flights plus an evening one too that fit in nicely to trans-Atlantic flights.
In May for example they are running two flights DCA-JFK - 8:30am on a 738 and 9:59am on an E75. The early flight is too late to make the daytime connection to LHR. What good is either flight to anyone?

The return is 6:30am (738) and 12:02pm (E75). The 6:30am is too early for any of the S. America flights if one is trying to avoid MIA and the 12:02pm is too early for any trans-Atlantic flights.

Now I do see in July there is some sanity returning. I just checked a random date - July 15.
Outbound DCA-JFK 12:20PM, 2:55pm, 6:34pm, 7:35pm
Return JFK-DCA 10:55am, 4pm, 5:20pm, 9:45pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1
What AA has done to DCA-JFK is ridiculous. I mean I guess they figure you have DCA-PHL or IAD-LHR for Europe.
They used to have a couple of afternoon flights plus an evening one too that fit in nicely to trans-Atlantic flights.
In May for example they are running two flights DCA-JFK - 8:30am on a 738 and 9:59am on an E75. The early flight is too late to make the daytime connection to LHR. What good is either flight to anyone?

The return is 6:30am (738) and 12:02pm (E75). The 6:30am is too early for any of the S. America flights if one is trying to avoid MIA and the 12:02pm is too early for any trans-Atlantic flights.

Now I do see in July there is some sanity returning. I just checked a random date - July 15.
Outbound DCA-JFK 12:20PM, 2:55pm, 6:34pm, 7:35pm
Return JFK-DCA 10:55am, 4pm, 5:20pm, 9:45pm
AA has nearly eliminated transiting in JFK if you're WAS based, it's ridiculous.
deeruck and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:10 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
How about the train for that first leg?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Outcome: got a refund from FinnAir, booked on DL through MSP , of course without the stopover in HEL. Saved a bundle by booking IAP through AMEX (DL has substantially lowered fare for this route). And now I don't have to worry about AA cancelling the final leg on the return from JFK to AA. Thanks for all the advice.
JDiver, lupine, JPG3392 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by FromDC
Outcome: got a refund from FinnAir, booked on DL through MSP , of course without the stopover in HEL. Saved a bundle by booking IAP through AMEX (DL has substantially lowered fare for this route). And now I don't have to worry about AA cancelling the final leg on the return from JFK to AA. Thanks for all the advice.
AA is a vicious downward cycle....they cut and they’ll claim there’s no demand but the reason there is no demand is because of this exact case where they are driving a paid customer to a competitor
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
AA is a vicious downward cycle....they cut and they’ll claim there’s no demand but the reason there is no demand is because of this exact case where they are driving a paid customer to a competitor
Yup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.