Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
For tickets purchased Wednesday, April 8, 2020 or after, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...020-after.html

More changes: Saturday, March 14, 2020, 10:40 PM .

Official announcement from American Airlines: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...3/default.aspx
American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

NOTE: also see AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased March 1 - May 31 (Coronavirus)

Current AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(information current as of April 15, 2020)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

• All Pre-May 31 Bookings (announced 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before May 31, travel Mar 1–Sep 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31, 2021

Previous AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(Previous travel waivers require rebooked travel to start by the earlier of the stated date OR the 12-month validity of the original ticket)

• South Pacific - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 16, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 17, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Europe and the Middle East (announced 3/12, expanded to Middle East) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 11, travel March 11–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All Pre-March 1 Bookings (announced 3/9, extended 3/20) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 1, travel March 11–May 31 April 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All March 1–March 30 Bookings (announced 3/1 , extended 3/5, extended 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked March 1–April 30 (originally March 16, then March 30), travel Mar 1, 2020–Jan 30, 2021, rebooked travel complete within 12-month ticket validity
  • Italy - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 27, travel Feb 27–Apr 24, rebooked travel Feb 27–June 30
  • South Korea (ICN) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 24, travel Feb 24–May 1, rebooked travel Feb 24–June 30
  • Hong Kong (HKG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 28, travel Jan 28–July 1, rebooked travel Jan 28–Aug 31
  • China (PEK, PVG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 24, travel Jan 24–Oct 23, rebooked travel Feb 1–Dec 31
  • Wuhan, China (WUH) - refund only, tickets booked on/before Jan 23, travel Jan 23–Mar 31

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

This thread is dedicated to discussion and questions pertaining to changing travel on AA motivated by COVID-19 novel Coronavirus but not covered by AA travel alerts or waivers.

For those destinations covered by AA Coronavirus-related travel alerts and waivers see Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Link to AA travel alerts

Link to thread
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund (consolidated)

Link to thread AA 2020 schedule adjustments / changes due to coronavirus

AA agents have occasionally allowed passengers with booked travel wishing to cancel because of Coronavirus concerns to cancel without fees, but this is not AA official policy. Possible reasons:
Events, meetings, etc. you were to attend have been cancelled due to Coronavirus concerns, so your trip would be in vain.
You have documentable health conditions that your doctor feels are sufficient to cancel travel plans.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
New General Change Fee Waiver (released ≈April 7-15)
No change fee if you bought your ticket before May 31, 2020

Information current as of April 15, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

The change fee is waived if you:

• Booked an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket on or before May 31, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - September 30, 2020
  • Can travel on or before December 31, 2021
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

Change your trip or cancel and rebook later

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:

Travel must be completed on or before December 31, 2021. The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

New Change Fee waiver for South Pacific (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - South Pacific

Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in:

Australia

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
  • Your 6-character confirmation (also called a ‘Record Locator’)

New Change Fee waiver for Canada, Caribbean, .Central and South America (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Argentina
  • Aruba
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Ecuador
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Guyana
  • Panama
  • Peru
  • St. Maarten
  • Uruguay

• Bought your ticket on or before March 17, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
New Change Fee waiver for Europe (released March 12, expanded to Middle East)
Novel Coronavirus - Europe and the Middle East

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • UK

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 11 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 11 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook
Please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 1 – May 31 (extended March 20)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 10 – April 30 (released March 9)

No change fee if you bought your ticket before March 1 Expand Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

• Bought your ticket on or before March 1, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 1 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook

• AA Award Travel - Per multiple first-hand accounts (including by dstan), under the above General Travel Waiver, AA Award Travel booked before March 1 for travel between March 1, 2020 – April 30, 2020 can be canceled for a full refund of all fees and taxes paid AND free redeposit of miles (reinstatement fee waived).

Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 30, 2020 (extended 3/5)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 16, 2020 (original 3/1)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...conditions.jsp

Terms and conditions

If you purchased a ticket on American Airlines between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, you may change your flight once without paying a change fee. Tickets must be purchased for travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.

Exception policy

• We will waive the change fee only on published Non-Refundable Fare tickets.
  • Tickets must be purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, with original travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.
  • Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight.
  • New travel must be completed within 1 year of original ticket issue date.
  • Any difference in fare will apply.
  • Change your trip online or by calling Reservations.
Contact Reservations

This waiver is valid only for tickets issued on American Airlines ticket stock. Tickets can be identified by a 13-digit ticket number beginning with American Airlines code ’001’. Tickets issued by other airlines with a different carrier code (ticket numbers not beginning with ‘001’) are subject to the waiver policy of that airline.

This policy excludes bookings through AAdvantage® award tickets.

American Airlines Vacations packages purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, also qualify for the one-time change fee waiver. Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight. Any difference in fare or hotel rate will apply.

Contact American Airlines Vacations
Updated: March 9, 2020

Print Wikipost

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
Just an update related to a Web Special award...

I did have to call for the miles to be redeposited, taxes refunded. Bit of a wait time (actually used the call back feature). Agent redeposited the miles (that was immediate) and taxes to be refunded in 7-10 days. No redeposit fee. Thanked agent for the assistance and mentioned that I intended to rebook as soon as practical. Agent said 'I hope we are still here in a few months'. I told the agent to be optimistic as I am (and my being a first responder, it is tough).

Everyone stay healthy!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
Just an update related to a Web Special award...

I did have to call for the miles to be redeposited, taxes refunded. Bit of a wait time (actually used the call back feature). Agent redeposited the miles (that was immediate) and taxes to be refunded in 7-10 days. No redeposit fee. Thanked agent for the assistance and mentioned that I intended to rebook as soon as practical. Agent said 'I hope we are still here in a few months'. I told the agent to be optimistic as I am (and my being a first responder, it is tough).

Everyone stay healthy!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:00 pm

My miles for a web special fare were refunded today. I didn’t call them, just messaged them from the AA website about 2 weeks ago. I did not think I would get them back because I made the mistake of cancelling the flight instead of waiting for them to cancel, so I am happy. I am still waiting for my refund from British Airways for an American flight to Madrid that was cancelled.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
I have been seeing the same thing for AA38 from MIA to LHR - zero’ed out in every class on every flight after April 2nd.
If I pick a date like April 6th, the seat maps are wide open, in all classes including W, J and F, according to Expertflyer.

Now I have been here long enough to know that free seats on expert flyer seat maps does not equate to seats for sale, but it is kinda unusual to see F0 A0 for sale, yet only 2 seats occupied in First Class. Anyone care to shed light on what gives here? Thanks.
I had a friend at AA check out the flights (DFW-LHR only) and it looks like each one of them is overbooked. I guess that was coming given the flexibility that has been offered.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:14 pm

So I just voluntarily rebooked my two basic economy flights in May through aa.com. Going through the rebooking process, I got the message "Your original ticket was a non-refundable, so we'll mail you a voucher to the billing address you used when you booked your original trip."

Luckily I thought to screenshot the second trip, but not the first. Has American tried to screw over anyone when doing it this way? I really don't want to lose out on any credit.. We originally paid over $500 for two tickets in May.. rebooking "saved" us $350 - if the vouchers actually come in.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:08 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Is there any way to get a full refund? I have a LGA-CMH, CMH-ORD booked early May but it looks like BA will pull my LHR-JFK, ORD-LHR shortly. At present I'm unsure when I'd be able to make the trip and it is especially unlikely I would rebook the LGA-CMH, CMH-ORD before the end of this year.

Last edited by Sprodo; Mar 30, 2020 at 3:18 am
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by HeartFist
Booked return trip to Quito (UIO) for early April in February. Thought I better check rather sooner than later and was aware of hotline wait times so drove to DFW airport last Saturday to discuss my options.

Ticket agent at counter said, after going to the back and talking to her supervisor, she can no longer refund right away but she cancel the ticket for me and then I can request the refund online. I was sure to ask that it would be a refund and not a credit. She said for European and South American destinations they would refund, if it was domestic I would only get a credit.
So I went ahead and had her cancel the ticket. Still at the airport I requested the refund online. The first blocking point was that the system said I would not get anything and it would be manual review. I wrote a short text in the notes field explaining my discussion with the agent and submitted the request.

Received a mail today (7 days later) from AA: "Thanks for your request. We're sorry your travel plans changed but your trip is non-refundable."

What are my options? I would not have cancelled if the counter agent would not have told me I would get refunded, but rather waited for AA to cancel on me. Should I do a charge-back?

All AA flights to UIO are cancelled these days as Ecuador has issued a ban on all international flights. I couldn't even book the flight at the same dates in early April anymore.
To provide some positive feedback: after the e-mail that I was not eligible for a refund I called the hotline again and inquired about a refund. The CSR at the phone said she does not know why it was not refunded the first time and I am eligible for one. She put it into the system for me and told me it would take a few days. It took another two days to get an automated mail "Refund request received". Today, another couple days later, without any further notice from AA, I received a mail from Amex about the full credit of the flight.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
I've been google'ing and just can't seem to figure out my best strategy. I've got a flight on April 25th that was a family vacation to SNA for Disneyland. Clearly, that's not going to happen. Given my loyalty to AA, I'm ok with getting a credit, but I'd prefer a full refund just to give me ultimate flexibility. I purchased these tickets in late December, so my questions/verifications are:

1. If I cancel on AA.com, I get a travel credit which I can use for future flights? I assume this can be used for different routing?
2. Similar to above, do I have to use it for the same three people? Could I use all the funds to book travel for just myself or me and my wife or just me and my son?
3. Do I have one year to find new tickets from the original purchase date or from the date I cancel or from when the original flights were? Is there any incentive for me to cancel closer to departure time?
4. If I don't cancel now and AA cancels one of my four flights in the days before the flight, does that give me the ability for a full refund versus credit?

Thanks, I'm sure these have been answered elsewhere, but searching proved to be daunting and lots of speculation.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:46 pm

P2 booked round trip flights 5/30 to 6/6 last year in main cabin, using cash. Cancelled today via web. He thought this would be covered by the fee waiver, but apparently, since the return flight is after 5/31, AA charged a fee. The system didn't say there was any fee until after we already completed the cancellation. Any chance AA will waive if he calls it in?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by elsenor
After AA canceled the 1st leg (PHL) of our SAN-BOS flight on 3/25, the "change/modify" link in the reservation summary disappeared and AA prompted me to select a different flight. I sent them a DM this morning asking if that was necessary when I wanted to cancel anyway. They said they could cancel it and provided me the ticket number and a link to their refund site. I put in the info and the system said we were eligible for a refund.

Interestingly, the default "refund" is a travel voucher. But you can tick the other radio button that says refuse and look at different options. So I did. A new prompt: accept a travel voucher and get a bonus 20% [$100 -> 120]. But again, you could decline. I did and it responded "we'll refund the original form of payment" and game me a confirmation number.
Follow up... I expected the refund, if it happened, to take a week or more. I just checked my credit card and AA had refunded the cost for both tickets within 48hrs. Never had to get on the phone or wait on hold once.
James91 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: oneworld *A,Nexus/GE
Seems bit scary as AA from North America to Asia with 0 flight except TYO for the whole summer.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by ncncyoo
Seems bit scary as AA from North America to Asia with 0 flight except TYO for the whole summer.
The flights to TYO may soon be cancelled as well as Japan is talking about banning any travelers from the US. This ban might start as early as next week.
FAA1996 and ncncyoo like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BrianV
I've been google'ing and just can't seem to figure out my best strategy. I've got a flight on April 25th that was a family vacation to SNA for Disneyland. Clearly, that's not going to happen. Given my loyalty to AA, I'm ok with getting a credit, but I'd prefer a full refund just to give me ultimate flexibility. I purchased these tickets in late December, so my questions/verifications are:

1. If I cancel on AA.com, I get a travel credit which I can use for future flights? I assume this can be used for different routing?
2. Similar to above, do I have to use it for the same three people? Could I use all the funds to book travel for just myself or me and my wife or just me and my son?
3. Do I have one year to find new tickets from the original purchase date or from the date I cancel or from when the original flights were? Is there any incentive for me to cancel closer to departure time?
4. If I don't cancel now and AA cancels one of my four flights in the days before the flight, does that give me the ability for a full refund versus credit?

Thanks, I'm sure these have been answered elsewhere, but searching proved to be daunting and lots of speculation.
1. Yes and yes
2. Each ticket has to be reused for the same person.
3. From original purchase date
4. Yes. Just wait. One or more of the flights will likely be canceled.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
it’s a great time this month to speculatively book AA award travel through Feb 2021
everyone gets a free redeposit when cancelling an award ticket
where is this confirmed? On AA website it states award flights are excluded from the worry free policy
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Sorry I'm going to bump my question but change it a little bit. I have an itinerary (SOF-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO) on 001 stock, with the first 2 legs on BA. I now have only 1h15 in JFK, which breaches the MCT (2 hours if I remember well), however it's not changed for a week. My arrival time in SFO has already shifted by about 70 minutes, but if AA were to change my TCON to meet the MCT, the change will be more than 2 hours. Should I call it in now and try to get a full refund, or is the answer going to be plain and simple no? I don't want a voucher because it's quite a lot of money and I don't know when I'll be going stateside again...
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.