Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
For tickets purchased Wednesday, April 8, 2020 or after, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...020-after.html

More changes: Saturday, March 14, 2020, 10:40 PM .

Official announcement from American Airlines: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...3/default.aspx
American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

NOTE: also see AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased March 1 - May 31 (Coronavirus)

Current AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(information current as of April 15, 2020)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

• All Pre-May 31 Bookings (announced 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before May 31, travel Mar 1–Sep 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31, 2021

Previous AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(Previous travel waivers require rebooked travel to start by the earlier of the stated date OR the 12-month validity of the original ticket)

• South Pacific - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 16, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 17, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Europe and the Middle East (announced 3/12, expanded to Middle East) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 11, travel March 11–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All Pre-March 1 Bookings (announced 3/9, extended 3/20) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 1, travel March 11–May 31 April 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All March 1–March 30 Bookings (announced 3/1 , extended 3/5, extended 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked March 1–April 30 (originally March 16, then March 30), travel Mar 1, 2020–Jan 30, 2021, rebooked travel complete within 12-month ticket validity
  • Italy - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 27, travel Feb 27–Apr 24, rebooked travel Feb 27–June 30
  • South Korea (ICN) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 24, travel Feb 24–May 1, rebooked travel Feb 24–June 30
  • Hong Kong (HKG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 28, travel Jan 28–July 1, rebooked travel Jan 28–Aug 31
  • China (PEK, PVG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 24, travel Jan 24–Oct 23, rebooked travel Feb 1–Dec 31
  • Wuhan, China (WUH) - refund only, tickets booked on/before Jan 23, travel Jan 23–Mar 31

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

This thread is dedicated to discussion and questions pertaining to changing travel on AA motivated by COVID-19 novel Coronavirus but not covered by AA travel alerts or waivers.

For those destinations covered by AA Coronavirus-related travel alerts and waivers see Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Link to AA travel alerts

Link to thread
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund (consolidated)

Link to thread AA 2020 schedule adjustments / changes due to coronavirus

AA agents have occasionally allowed passengers with booked travel wishing to cancel because of Coronavirus concerns to cancel without fees, but this is not AA official policy. Possible reasons:
Events, meetings, etc. you were to attend have been cancelled due to Coronavirus concerns, so your trip would be in vain.
You have documentable health conditions that your doctor feels are sufficient to cancel travel plans.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
New General Change Fee Waiver (released ≈April 7-15)
No change fee if you bought your ticket before May 31, 2020

Information current as of April 15, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

The change fee is waived if you:

• Booked an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket on or before May 31, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - September 30, 2020
  • Can travel on or before December 31, 2021
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

Change your trip or cancel and rebook later

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:

Travel must be completed on or before December 31, 2021. The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

New Change Fee waiver for South Pacific (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - South Pacific

Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in:

Australia

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
  • Your 6-character confirmation (also called a ‘Record Locator’)

New Change Fee waiver for Canada, Caribbean, .Central and South America (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Argentina
  • Aruba
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Ecuador
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Guyana
  • Panama
  • Peru
  • St. Maarten
  • Uruguay

• Bought your ticket on or before March 17, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
New Change Fee waiver for Europe (released March 12, expanded to Middle East)
Novel Coronavirus - Europe and the Middle East

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • UK

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 11 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 11 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook
Please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 1 – May 31 (extended March 20)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 10 – April 30 (released March 9)

No change fee if you bought your ticket before March 1 Expand Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

• Bought your ticket on or before March 1, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 1 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook

• AA Award Travel - Per multiple first-hand accounts (including by dstan), under the above General Travel Waiver, AA Award Travel booked before March 1 for travel between March 1, 2020 – April 30, 2020 can be canceled for a full refund of all fees and taxes paid AND free redeposit of miles (reinstatement fee waived).

Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 30, 2020 (extended 3/5)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 16, 2020 (original 3/1)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...conditions.jsp

Terms and conditions

If you purchased a ticket on American Airlines between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, you may change your flight once without paying a change fee. Tickets must be purchased for travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.

Exception policy

• We will waive the change fee only on published Non-Refundable Fare tickets.
  • Tickets must be purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, with original travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.
  • Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight.
  • New travel must be completed within 1 year of original ticket issue date.
  • Any difference in fare will apply.
  • Change your trip online or by calling Reservations.
Contact Reservations

This waiver is valid only for tickets issued on American Airlines ticket stock. Tickets can be identified by a 13-digit ticket number beginning with American Airlines code ’001’. Tickets issued by other airlines with a different carrier code (ticket numbers not beginning with ‘001’) are subject to the waiver policy of that airline.

This policy excludes bookings through AAdvantage® award tickets.

American Airlines Vacations packages purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, also qualify for the one-time change fee waiver. Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight. Any difference in fare or hotel rate will apply.

Contact American Airlines Vacations
Updated: March 9, 2020

Print Wikipost

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by dstan
I had an interesting case and don't know if these items have been posted on upthread:

1) Booked flights to Spain in February for travel departing March 7, revenue fare with miles + copay upgrades both ways.
2) Canceled flights on March 7 and was told $275 change fee will apply, $700 copays non-refundable, additional $175 to redeposit miles ($150+25) (all as expected under normal terms)
3) Called back today as I needed documentation and had not yet seen redeposit fee charge on my CC, nor the miles redeposited in my account
4) Was allowed to apply RETROACTIVELY the Change Fee Waiver that was announced March 9
5) Will retain full value of ticket + value of copays in ticket + miles in ticket

Not sure what happens if I don't rebook another international flight with an upgrade, but don't think I can come out any worse than #2 above, so good news. Took a long time to sort it out on the phone, but worth it.

I’m kind of in the same boat, or should that be plane! Booked revenue ticket in Y last July 4th for LAX-LHR-LAX over the Easter week this April. I booked that far out as C space was confirmable at time of booking, so after booking online, I called in and had a miles + copay immediately processed.

Now I see the waivers and would prefer to delay my trip until this all peters out. My first issue is that I only have until July 4th to take the first flight due to that date being sooner than the end of 2020 (hint for AA, I have a Qatar flight that I also booked last year for travel to South Africa in May and I can cancel a few days before the initial travel date and they will issue me a fee free voucher for travel valid for 1 year from that date that I choose to cancel). My question is if I can find something before July 4th assuming AA doesn’t loosen the 1 year validity term, I know that I have to pay the fare difference, but if I want to remain in J, do my new flights need to have C space available, or can AA force space?
dstan likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I’m kind of in the same boat, or should that be plane! Booked revenue ticket in Y last July 4th for LAX-LHR-LAX over the Easter week this April. I booked that far out as C space was confirmable at time of booking, so after booking online, I called in and had a miles + copay immediately processed.

Now I see the waivers and would prefer to delay my trip until this all peters out. My first issue is that I only have until July 4th to take the first flight due to that date being sooner than the end of 2020 (hint for AA, I have a Qatar flight that I also booked last year for travel to South Africa in May and I can cancel a few days before the initial travel date and they will issue me a fee free voucher for travel valid for 1 year from that date that I choose to cancel). My question is if I can find something before July 4th assuming AA doesn’t loosen the 1 year validity term, I know that I have to pay the fare difference, but if I want to remain in J, do my new flights need to have C space available, or can AA force space?
For the new waiver that applies to Europe, it says "Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued." However, it doesnt say "whichever is earlier" like the previous waiver.

Does that mean you would have until at least 12/31/20 regardless of when you bought?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Quick question - I've canceled my solo trip for later this month (booked in January) online, so I've supposedly got the flight credit to use later. I understand I can use it essentially anywhere, not just the same origin or destination. My question is: does this have to be used for one ticket only, or can the credit apply to more than one ticket in the same reservation? (Specifically, I way overpaid for this ticket because I needed the specific dates for a convention - convention is now canceled, so I canceled the flight, but I usually can find this routing for half the price. Can I use this credit to buy two seats on the same flight in the next year?)

thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by dciolli
For the new waiver that applies to Europe, it says "Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued." However, it doesnt say "whichever is earlier" like the previous waiver.

Does that mean you would have until at least 12/31/20 regardless of when you bought?
I’d be happy with rebooking before July 4th if that is what the new waiver offers as I have a few dates in mind that are all before Dec 31, but later than Jul 4, but would prefer to stay in the J cabin as per our confirmed upgrade. However, if I look at my reservation, I’m not seeing an option to choose new flights. Only an option to cancel.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by shannon94188
Quick question - I've canceled my solo trip for later this month (booked in January) online, so I've supposedly got the flight credit to use later. I understand I can use it essentially anywhere, not just the same origin or destination. My question is: does this have to be used for one ticket only, or can the credit apply to more than one ticket in the same reservation? (Specifically, I way overpaid for this ticket because I needed the specific dates for a convention - convention is now canceled, so I canceled the flight, but I usually can find this routing for half the price. Can I use this credit to buy two seats on the same flight in the next year?)

thanks!
to answer my own question, I called and the rep I spoke with said yes, I can use this credit to apply to more than one ticket in the new reservation. She said to go online and make the reservation (for travel before the end of the year) but put it on hold and then call in, give the old ticket number, and they would apply the full amount to the total of the new reservation. Huzzah!
dstan likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Had flight's to LHR scheduled mid-summer. Making some weird connections to apply SWU's both ways.

Just had a 127 minute schedule change - they let me cancel that ticket for a full refund because of it.
Now i have 2 questions - how long do the refunds take
How long to redeposit my SWU's
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question What about award tickets on AA+BA

I have an AA award ticket for May: JFK=>LHR on AA continuing LHR=>TLV on BA. Actually X2 for myself and my wife. Booked in Aug-2019 but now says: Issued Thursday, February 13, 2020.
And another AA award ticket (separate from above) for May: TLV=>LHR on BA continuing LHR=>MIA on AA. Again X2 for me and my wife. Booked Aug-2019 but now says: Issued Friday, March 6, 2020.

Can these be cancelled due to Corona? what happens to tickets fees paid and mileage deducted?
Or is it only re-booking as awards, but then within a year from When?
Or none? so far...
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by iridium
You must have gotten lucky. what number did you call? For my iad>doh>del flight I was told I had to pay redeposit fees. MLE doesn't even have any travel waivers i think. India has cancelled all tourist visas and i cant even travel even if I want to.
800-433-7300

I accepted my spot in line to be held and receive a call back. About 4 hours later got a call from a reservation agent in PHX who then said I’m sorry I can’t help I have to get you to the AA advantage team. I then waited 20 mins on hold before anyone from that team answered. The lady who assisted me to took about 45 mins. I asked her if re deposit fees were being waved due to the virus she said yes there will be no fees. I guess I was lucky , I was prepared to pay the fees as I had dodged a bullet and the PH Maldives let me cancel with zero fees only 5 days before my arrival

edit: miles now back in my account. Less than 24 hours since I cancelled. Still no refunds on the taxes though
dstan likes this.

Last edited by AlexanderK; Mar 13, 2020 at 7:08 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
Had to canx a revenue ticket (DCA-MCO RT) last night since my event was cancelled due to the COVID-19 situation and is not likely to be rescheduled. AA won't issue a refund (non-refundable fare) but will provide a travel credit. Not ideal but I'll take it since I hope to get going again once this all dies down.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, National Exec
Wondering how AA will handle issues like this. Czech republic closes it's borders to 13 countries including the UK. My flight into Prague was connecting through LHR. Assuming I will still need to call in but I would think these flight will be canceled.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...ockdown-2020-3
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I have a TATL flight on an AA ticket in 2 days (on BA metal connnecting through LHR, so not yet cancelled) that I want to cancel. However, I made it on Amex Travel, which has esssentially ceased to function under the pressure, and cannot get through to cancel it, and it cannot be done online. Does anyone know whether within 24 hours of the flight, the airline will take control of the ticket, so that I could cancel it at the airport rather than check in?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Too many pages of this thread to read thru. Although with no sports, I have a lot more time than I used to. I purchased a super great Biz fare and upgraded (confirmed) to F LAX-LHR for 4/8. For now, it appears Trump is allowing flights to and from London. My worry is that because we are learning on the fly with the Covid19 virus, things can change in an instant. While I'd love to be stuck in London indefinitely, its not financially feasible.
I contacted AA to move the dates to late May hoping that we would have a much better understanding of Covid and the world by then.
the exec plat line lady said ok, no worries on the change fees, but we have to reprice the new booking. the fare went from $2200RT to $9600 RT. Way too rich for my blood. My ask, how do I go about changing the flights w/o such a huge hit in the fare? Do I need to go into google flights and look for flights that price better? That's my first thought. Once again, with no sports, I have the time. thank you in advance for all suggestions. Lastly, as this is a mileage run, I"d be very happy flying over and then in a day or two fly back. Is that best done on a standby basis???
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by tomj888
My ask, how do I go about changing the flights w/o such a huge hit in the fare? Do I need to go into google flights and look for flights that price better?
Yes

Originally Posted by tomj888
Lastly, as this is a mileage run, I"d be very happy flying over and then in a day or two fly back. Is that best done on a standby basis???
Normally you can't stand by if your ticket is for a future day. Who knows what they will do now.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by AlexanderK
800-433-7300

I accepted my spot in line to be held and receive a call back. About 4 hours later got a call from a reservation agent in PHX who then said I’m sorry I can’t help I have to get you to the AA advantage team. I then waited 20 mins on hold before anyone from that team answered. The lady who assisted me to took about 45 mins. I asked her if re deposit fees were being waved due to the virus she said yes there will be no fees. I guess I was lucky , I was prepared to pay the fees as I had dodged a bullet and the PH Maldives let me cancel with zero fees only 5 days before my arrival

edit: miles now back in my account. Less than 24 hours since I cancelled. Still no refunds on the taxes though
called again and got a better agent this time. they cancelled all tickets and redeposited miles without any redeposit fees.
dstan likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Cancelling three RT basic economy tickets LAX-LHR for April dates. After booking, I later paid to select seats on one leg (SJC-LHR on British Air metal). What happens to the seat selection $$?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.