Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Standby Flights on AA Web Special Awards?

Old Feb 9, 20, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

I'm AA Plat right now. I am considering buying a one-way 5,000-mile Web Special Flight from DCA-STL with a stopover in PHL.

My two questions are, within 24 hours of the flight will I receive $0 standby options for other DCA-STL-PHL flights?

Also, will I see $0 standby options that have departure cities of IAD and BWI (they are also within the larger WAS group), and will I see routes through other cities than PHL?
Old Feb 9, 20, 8:14 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
You can stand by, but only for the exact same routing as the current ticket.
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 9, 20, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Standby and same-day change rules are the same for revenue and award tickets. They always require identical routing, except of course in IRROPS. Depending how far in the future, you can always hope for a schedule change in which case they will probably be fairly flexible in changing the ticket.

Even if it's a small change, you can always try. Let's say the outbound flight is changed to be 20 minutes earlier. You can say "Oh, I have an important appointment/meeting/you-name-it and it was going to be close for me to get to the airport by 4:00, arriving by 3:40 will be very dicey for me - can I change it?"
Old Feb 9, 20, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK View Post
Also, will I see $0 standby options that have departure cities of IAD and BWI (they are also within the larger WAS group), and will I see routes through other cities than PHL?
No and no. Same as revenue tickets.

Others above have added good detail.
Old Feb 10, 20, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcrw00 View Post
You can stand by, but only for the exact same routing as the current ticket.
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
Standby and same-day change rules are the same for revenue and award tickets.
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
No and no. Same as revenue tickets. Others above have added good detail.
Thank you all for the answers and for suggestions on changing if there is a timing change. I appreciate you all!
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 12:22 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
My wife had an AA web special ticket and they would not let her standby on an earlier PHX to Las flight even though she was there with no bags and they had seats (it was a connecting flight). I just told her quality as service and to wait for her scheduled flight.
Old Feb 11, 20, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver
The normal same day flight change rules do *not* apply to Web Special awards... these are treated like Basic Economy when it comes to changes. I'm not sure about Standby but I don't believe that is allowed either.
Old Feb 11, 20, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mindovermatter4 View Post
The normal same day flight change rules do *not* apply to Web Special awards... these are treated like Basic Economy when it comes to changes. I'm not sure about Standby but I don't believe that is allowed either.
Same-day standby is most definitely allowed on Web Special fares -- at least for oneworld elites -- but not on Basic Economy fares.
Old Feb 11, 20, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
That is not true. Web special awards can be SDC-ed just like any other ticket.
Old Feb 11, 20, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
That is not true. Web special awards can be SDC-ed just like any other ticket.
Neither the app nor an airport agent nor a phone agent would let me SDC a Web Special award last month. The agents stated it was because it was a Web Special award. P-Pro if it matters.
Old Feb 11, 20, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Neither the app nor an airport agent nor a phone agent would let me SDC a Web Special award last month. The agents stated it was because it was a Web Special award. P-Pro if it matters.
That's correct. You cannot "change" a Web Special award. You can, however, stand by on one. Standby does not constitute a "change" for AA's purposes.

By contrast, Basic Economy fares do not permit changes or standby.
Antarius and luv2swim like this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 2:32 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
IIRC @JonNYC reported that AA is making some changes to be more generous with same day standby changes. I don't recall the details, but I think there were/are testing allowing routing changes in a test market.
Old Feb 11, 20, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
IIRC @JonNYC reported that AA is making some changes to be more generous with same day standby changes. I don't recall the details, but I think there were/are testing allowing routing changes in a test market.
That would be nice.

Especially when there is potential looming IRROPs, having the ability to be proactive before a problem occurs is helpful.
Old Feb 11, 20, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
That's correct. You cannot "change" a Web Special award. You can, however, stand by on one. Standby does not constitute a "change" for AA's purposes.

By contrast, Basic Economy fares do not permit changes or standby.
I have done confirmed SDC on web specials many times in the app. It's absolutely allowed.
Old Feb 11, 20, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
I have done confirmed SDC on web specials many times in the app. It's absolutely allowed.
I was also able to confirm and same day stand by for domestic web specials. I was offered this option in the app so I did not have to talk to an agent

Search this Thread
Search Engine: